• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Need to Trade for a WR

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Of course they need OL but what team trades away a quality starting OL? It rarely happens. Miami traded Tunsil but they got a fortune for him.

Trading for a fast WR is something that can actually happen. And since he’d be a role player, he can have immediate impact. If they can hit a few deep balls, it would help the OL and the run game tremendously. Part of the run game struggles is that teams are crowding the line. They have no respect for the Steelers deep passing game.

it is possible that the OL could be much better by week 8 or so. Maybe Banner stabilizes things and Green starts to get it at C and the OL could be OK at some point.

If you can get a guy like Mims or Hamler, it really could give some breathing room to the offense while the OL gels.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Let’s not forget. JuJu may be gone next year so they do need to add WRs. Mims was a first round pick. If you can bring him in and get a look at him for a late round pick then why not?

black and gold apex

Reaction score
They were suppose to be our strength this year, watching how they run rotes nothing is sharp nothing throw's the defenders off then throw in the line and to old Ben has no time we are in trouble.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
To me, the Steelers have enough speed at WR between Claypool and Johnson.

I honestly do not think even Tyreek Hill would make much of a difference in this offense.

Defenses are playing the Steelers the way they are because they do not respect the Steelers' ability to consistently get the ball downfield.

How much of that is due to Ben or due to the blocking doesn't really matter, as the end result is the same.

Steelmann

Reaction score
Geeez. It wasn’t that long ago everyone was saying we had the best,deepest WR core in the league. In fact it was only last month. Lol

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Hamler is out for the season - torn ACL

madinsomniac

Reaction score
If the wr doesn’t have sub 4.4 speed dont bother

The oline will get better with experience… we aren’t backing the safeties off with more contested catch kings… yeah it’d be nice to add a stud ol… but none of those are available… there are several wrs that fit the bill for fast strike guys they have to respect ….

We needed a speed wr too on O

The thing is all of the olinemen except Turner are young enough that any or every one of them could develop into something really good… you simply aren’t going to develop speed….

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Of course they need OL but what team trades away a quality starting OL? It rarely happens. Miami traded Tunsil but they got a fortune for him.

Trading for a fast WR is something that can actually happen. And since he’d be a role player, he can have immediate impact. If they can hit a few deep balls, it would help the OL and the run game tremendously. Part of the run game struggles is that teams are crowding the line. They have no respect for the Steelers deep passing game.

it is possible that the OL could be much better by week 8 or so. Maybe Banner stabilizes things and Green starts to get it at C and the OL could be OK at some point.

If you can get a guy like Mims or Hamler, it really could give some breathing room to the offense while the OL gels.
This.., exactly this….

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Both Juju and Washington are deceptive speed guys… like hines or jerry rice… they aren’t burners, but they lull guys in and get past them at times

Dionte is extremely quick but not that fast… he is a 4.5 40 type. Fast enough but not scary fast

Claypool is extremely fast for his size, but that 4.44 or 4.42 speed isn’t blow past you fast…it’s legit, no doubt, but they cheat over on him a bit and thats all it takes because we don’t have anyone else to really force them to respect them… and I don’t think he always plays as fast as he is…

He is a lot like Martavis… and honestly signing that dude, or John brown, who used to be 4.3 fast but is still plenty speedy would really back guys up, and give us options

Until claypool takes the next step we really need that pure speedster

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
They need a WR that can take the top off the defense. Claypool can in theory but he doesn't do it because he doesn't understand how to get open. He just tries to outrun the DB. Sometimes he does but that's not how you get open. You have to change speeds or fake a move inside and got outside or vice versa. The DB always knows where Claypool is going. That would be fine if Claypool had ball skills and could make contested catches. Anquan Bolden was probably never open by more that 6 inches in his career but get the ball near him and he's pulling it down.

JuJu and Washington don't have the speed. DJ does have the speed but he's needed to run the underneath routes.

Here's a few guys i think they should inquire about

Denzel Mims Jets. Mims was a healthy scratch 2 weeks in a row. The Jets installed a shanahan like offense and Mims is not a fit at all. He's the #5 WR. Maybe you can get him for a reasonable cost. Mims is a bit like Claypool in that he't not a great route runner but he has great ball skills in going up and getting contested deep balls.

KJ Hamler Denver. Hamler has tremendous speed and has already made some big plays in the NFL. Denver has Sutton and Jeudy as their top 2 and they use Tim Patrick quite a bit. Maybe they will part with Hamler

Devatne Parker Miami - The dolphins are struggling mightily. Rumor is they want to trade for Deshaun Watson. If that's the case then maybe they will part with Parker for more draft ammo to get Watson. Kind of like how they gave up on Minkah.

Preston Williams Miami - Williams made some big plays last year before getting injured. Now this year he's buried on the depth chart. Maybe he can be had for cheap.

Scour the Practice Squads. They need somebody who can get open deep and actually make the catch. Doesn't have to be a complete player. A One trick pony will so. But they need something because defenses are not backing off until they prove they can complete some deep balls.
With all due respect....

Have you lost your mind?

Man if this team is going to make a trade, it's for offensive line. We are fine at WR - even with the drops.

Our OL features a three 3rd rounders - 2 of which in their first year of starting. 2 rookies. Our most tenured veteran is Chuks.

And you're concerned with finding a WR?

alancac98

Reaction score
Our coaching sucks ***. There is not 1 single coach on our team that any other team would hire! They have no ******* idea what they are doing and it shows on Sundays! You could bring in all pros across multiple positions and this coaching staff would turn them from filet mignons into chicken ****!

swal75

Reaction score
Can we use him on bubble screens with no blockers on 4th and 12? Cause I'd be all about getting another one of those guys.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
With all due respect....

Have you lost your mind?

Man if this team is going to make a trade, it's for offensive line. We are fine at WR - even with the drops.

Our OL features a three 3rd rounders - 2 of which in their first year of starting. 2 rookies. Our most tenured veteran is Chuks.

And you're concerned with finding a WR?

i assumed people knew that it was near impossible to trade for a quality starting OL without spending a ton and therefore focused on a move that could actually ******* happen… with all due respect.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
i assumed people knew that it was near impossible to trade for a quality starting OL without spending a ton and therefore focused on a move that could actually ******* happen… with all due respect.
Yeah the point is to not trade a first rounder for an olineman and frankly I don’t see any interesting trade rumors about olinemen at all this year… the best ufa one is an injured and maybe retired Decastro…

There are a couple speedy wrs that are either ufas or available through trades… and there might be more before the deadline cause several teams have injured ones that they were moving away from anyhow… But still have value

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
just because it "actually could happen", doesn't mean it's worthwhile. it isn't. our draft picks over the next 4-5 seasons are far too precious to be slinging around like house chips at the craps table during happy hour.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Geeez. It wasn’t that long ago everyone was saying we had the best,deepest WR core in the league. In fact it was only last month. Lol
Describe "everyone."

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score

Steelmann

Reaction score
Describe "everyone."
A lot of people on this board that I read all the time. I would think that most people thought the WR position was set. And no,I won’t go back and look for individual posts. If you want to look to discredit me.......go for it. I will be waiting with baited breath. I mean seriously. “Describe everyone “. Man.

6Lombardis

Reaction score
They need a WR that can take the top off the defense. Claypool can in theory but he doesn't do it because he doesn't understand how to get open. He just tries to outrun the DB. Sometimes he does but that's not how you get open. You have to change speeds or fake a move inside and got outside or vice versa. The DB always knows where Claypool is going. That would be fine if Claypool had ball skills and could make contested catches. Anquan Bolden was probably never open by more that 6 inches in his career but get the ball near him and he's pulling it down.

JuJu and Washington don't have the speed. DJ does have the speed but he's needed to run the underneath routes.

Here's a few guys i think they should inquire about

Denzel Mims Jets. Mims was a healthy scratch 2 weeks in a row. The Jets installed a shanahan like offense and Mims is not a fit at all. He's the #5 WR. Maybe you can get him for a reasonable cost. Mims is a bit like Claypool in that he't not a great route runner but he has great ball skills in going up and getting contested deep balls.

KJ Hamler Denver. Hamler has tremendous speed and has already made some big plays in the NFL. Denver has Sutton and Jeudy as their top 2 and they use Tim Patrick quite a bit. Maybe they will part with Hamler

Devatne Parker Miami - The dolphins are struggling mightily. Rumor is they want to trade for Deshaun Watson. If that's the case then maybe they will part with Parker for more draft ammo to get Watson. Kind of like how they gave up on Minkah.

Preston Williams Miami - Williams made some big plays last year before getting injured. Now this year he's buried on the depth chart. Maybe he can be had for cheap.

Scour the Practice Squads. They need somebody who can get open deep and actually make the catch. Doesn't have to be a complete player. A One trick pony will so. But they need something because defenses are not backing off until they prove they can complete some deep down the field in 2.2 seconds, it's a moot point ....SMH

I understand what you're saying, and our lack of WR separation sucks. Not sure how much top can be taken off in 2.2 seconds, after that point Ben's already on the turf,....SMH.

6Lombardis

Reaction score
Describe "everyone."
We Have no WR that scares anybody or forces a specific defensive gameplan IMO and why would we when our QB is on the ground in 2.3 seconds 🤔

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
The Steelers already traded away a bunch of 2022 draft picks. If anything else, they need to acquire more picks.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
They need a WR that can take the top off the defense.
Doesn't the QB need longer than a second to take the top off the defense?
Yeah, umm, Washington took the top of the defense just fine yesterday, and Ben had enough time to hit his wide open receiver 35 yards downfield for an 85-yard touchdown that would have made it a 7-point game with over 6 minutes left. Problem is, Ben doesn't make a lot of good deep throws anymore, let alone clutch ones.

FAB802

Contributor
Reaction score
A WR improvement would make us at best, the 3rd best team in the division. Our F/O can address that in the off season, and hopefully remember what to do with a top seven pick, because that's where we're headed.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
this division is nothing special. The ravens should actually be 0-3 right now. Their defense is not good. The Browns have looked OK but hardly dominant for the amount of talent on that roster.

What gets your best on the field? With DJ out, i can see why they wanted to use 2 and even 3 TE sets, but Gentry is nothing and Ebron is a waste as well. Ebron sucks at blocking and he's dropping passes. Watt doesn;t bring anything to the table so long as the OL is weak. That means you have to be in 3 WR most of the time.

Some people like Washington but he's too damn slow. Yeah, he broke open a few times but that's because he's given little respect. I don't think he could get open deep on a consistent basis. If he did catch that deep ball, he probably would have been tackled a few steps later.

I was hopeful that Claypool would have taken a step forward toward playing more like DK Metcalf. He hasn't so far. Last year he made a bunch of big plays early in the season but tailed off late as defenses paid more attention. I still think he can be good but may be more of a project than i thought.

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
Describe "everyone."
I said it. I think/ thought it was the best we have had. I may be wrong about that. But you can see what not having Dionte out there, and losing Juju does. It really hurt. But there are a myriad of other problems too.