• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Need to Trade for a WR

steelreeling

Reaction score
We Have no WR that scares anybody or forces a specific defensive gameplan IMO and why would we when our QB is on the ground in 2.3 seconds 🤔
There you go.

It's not like the line has crumbled at the edges like LT (especially) or RT, or had immediate pressure up the gut on the majority of the passing plays. Ben can get 3-4 seconds on passing plays - he may not be able to be his usual statue self but...

it's the running game that a dumpster fire not the <adequate?> pass protection.

Reactions: FSF

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
We absolutely do not need another WR. Trading for one is completely absurd. If we do anything, we need to trade for a legit starting OL. He doesn't have to be a pro-bowler but a legit starter. And, Canada either needs to crank up the offense with about 100 additional plays (mostly no-huddle) or he needs to be fired. Another offense nightmare with play-calling like the last 2 games and the 1st half of the Buffalo game and he needs to be fired. As one of the PG writers just wrote, he is in way over his head. It is obvious and Tomlin needs to cut him loose. He and Colbert should already be looking at alternatives.

steelcan58

Reaction score
We absolutely do not need another WR. Trading for one is completely absurd. If we do anything, we need to trade for a legit starting OL. He doesn't have to be a pro-bowler but a legit starter. And, Canada either needs to crank up the offense with about 100 additional plays (mostly no-huddle) or he needs to be fired. Another offense nightmare with play-calling like the last 2 games and the 1st half of the Buffalo game and he needs to be fired. As one of the PG writers just wrote, he is in way over his head. It is obvious and Tomlin needs to cut him loose. He and Colbert should already be looking at alternatives.
Unfortunately nothing is ever obvious for Tomlin. His only quality is pulling cliches out of his ***.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
OP. the WRs are not the problem. The OL blocking is the big picture with the running game thrown in as well. Fix the blocking and the rest will start to shine. Najee can't run if defenders are in the backfield before he gets the ball. Ben can't read the field while ducking rushers upon snap.

Play calling, scheme, can be modified. The offense needs to establish an identity even if so having to go back to basics of run run pass or run. Give the current OL only the task of run blocking and as that developed....... the play action & pass will come easier.

We would have to intentionally try harder to be worse so maybe, anything closer to real / power / actual football would be a step up. Take the confusion out and instill man vs man and beat your man straight up.

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Coach Bill Cowher changed offensive cordinator during season and made things better so it's not unheard of. Tomlin would need to be a better X & O coach to pull it off. Canada may not be gifted enough to change mid season to some-sort of more productive play calling / scheme of simplify-ing to personal and condusive flow.

Salute the nation

steelcan58

Reaction score
Coach Bill Cowher changed offensive cordinator during season and made things better so it's not unheard of. Tomlin would need to be a better X & O coach to pull it off. Canada may not be gifted enough to change mid season to some-sort of more productive play calling / scheme of simplify-ing to personal and condusive flow.

Salute the nation
It did work when Cowher changed OC midway through the season. Trouble is we just changed OCs this off season and the offense looks the same as last year. That tells me it isn't just the OC. Could be Ben, could be Tomlin, could be both.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
It did work when Cowher changed OC midway through the season. Trouble is we just changed OCs this off season and the offense looks the same as last year. That tells me it isn't just the OC. Could be Ben, could be Tomlin, could

Could be Tomlin as well. I'm one to want outside staff brought in whenever possible. I know Canada isn't going anywhere and actuLLY convinced myself he would be a good addition. Talk about hindsight but also realize it takes a year or so plus the right personal to acheive an offesive system overhaul. Cowher did it by going back to basics which in turn made everything much easier. Of course he had a much better OL at the time as he realized it all begins in the trenches, something our current HC and FO seem to have forgotten.

Salute the nation

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
It did work when Cowher changed OC midway through the season. Trouble is we just changed OCs this off season and the offense looks the same as last year. That tells me it isn't just the OC. Could be Ben, could be Tomlin, could be both.
Or it could be our OL is putrid(last year/this year). And because of that it is dictating what we can and can not do.

steelcan58

Reaction score

Salute the nation
It did work when Cowher changed OC midway through the season. Trouble is we just changed OCs this off season and the offense looks the same
Or it could be our OL is putrid(last year/this year). And because of that it is dictating what we can and can not do.
That's the exact definition of coaching to your fears.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
What if.....a big part of our WR problem is the fact that all of them have to be able to play each WR position. Why not cut it down to maybe 2 positions and limit their route options and reads they have to make. At least 5 times in all 3 games, we've had Najee or one of the WR's go the wrong way. Add that to still a few drops per game and the mounting penalties by the line, Canada's poor play calling, and Ben's poor mobility (although he did actually run for a first down against the Bungholes), and this O can't get out of their own way and can't get any rhythm. Against the Bungholes, you could see Najee's frustration in the 1st half with the penalties. He would rip off a run or reception for 15 or 20 yards only to have it called back. That kills this team more than others it seems.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Except in that case it was gailey calling the plays that erhardt already had designed with gailey… it was already more or less installed… they tan versions of the Erhardt offense the entire time cowher was here, just with modifications

It wasn’t until 08 that ariens brought his version of the Donny Coryell offense… in 07 he mostly ran whiz’s modified erhardt stuff with some new wrinkles…

So sometimes an oc calls an offense different or adds wrinkles, but you don’t get that whole overhaul for at least a year… and honestly Fitchner didn’t exactly add anything worthwhile to the playbook… so mostly we were already using a lot of stale telegraphed plays…

Erhard was a brilliant run game designer who refused to incorporate the pass as the game opened up more… his offense was technically sound, just repressed… gailey just added a little of his 3 and 4 wide formations… he didn’t overhaul it totally until what, 97… and cowher still kept the blocking scheme and run game…

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
We have enough speed to send someone deep, we just don't do it. And, if we do, it's usually in the 2nd half. If Claypool, Diontae, or even JuJu are man-on-man, they should be sent deep during the 1st series of the game - especially Claypool. No one can cover him and he runs all the routes. It's not like he's a one-trick poney by any stretch like some on here like to call him. Hopefully, they will start doing that and the WR's will start getting on the same page with Ben instead of seeing Ben throw to open spaces several times every game.

AND maybe catch the ball. ALL our receivers & a certain TE need that trait.

Salute the nation

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I just said this in another thread, while the Steelers could use a burner, they also don't fully utilize their current receivers because they do not throw over the middle of the field. That alone cuts out routes that defenses don't need to worry about. Makes preparation a lot more simple.

steelreeling

Reaction score
it is putrid.
I swear though, i was shocked at how much better things went when Haeg and Hass firmed up the least bit. Gives me some hope that although these guys get pushed back, Canada could call some schemes that trap defenders and provide some space.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Chiefs OL is struggling and they snapped up Josh Gordon awful quick. Why? Because if your OL sucks, your only option mid-season is to scare a defense to back them off.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
I also think the steelers should be making calls about TE. Ebron is unreliable and Gentry is a block of wood.

The jags just traded for Carolina TE Dan Arnold and he's a pretty good player. I wouldn;t have thought they'd trade him but their starting CB got injured so they wanted a CB. Work the phones, find a team that will part with a TE that can block better than Gentry.

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
Chiefs OL is struggling and they snapped up Josh Gordon awful quick. Why? Because if your OL sucks, your only option mid-season is to scare a defense to back them off.
Josh Gordon is a ring-chasing, front-running doper. The patriots, then seahawks, and now Kansas City? Pfff, gimme a break. I guarantee that the Chiefs were one of a handful of teams that put out feelers for him when he was reinstated, and when he looked through his choices and saw the Chiefs were one of them, he said "oooh, yeah, i wanna play there", and signed for whatever KC would throw his way. I highly doubt ol' Andy Reid was sitting in his office, fretting about his offensive line, thinking, "if ONLY there was a receiver out there that could help out our other 400 receivers, THEN we might be dangerous!!"

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
I just said this in another thread, while the Steelers could use a burner, they also don't fully utilize their current receivers because they do not throw over the middle of the field. That alone cuts out routes that defenses don't need to worry about. Makes preparation a lot more simple.
Agreed that they don't throw over the middle to the wide receivers enough. They do go there occasionally to the tight ends -- Freirmuth catches the ball, and Ebron drops it.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Josh Gordon is a ring-chasing, front-running doper. The patriots, then seahawks, and now Kansas City? Pfff, gimme a break. I guarantee that the Chiefs were one of a handful of teams that put out feelers for him when he was reinstated, and when he looked through his choices and saw the Chiefs were one of them, he said "oooh, yeah, i wanna play there", and signed for whatever KC would throw his way. I highly doubt ol' Andy Reid was sitting in his office, fretting about his offensive line, thinking, "if ONLY there was a receiver out there that could help out our other 400 receivers, THEN we might be dangerous!!"

then why did the chiefs sign him? It's because they have no run game. They have a brand new OL that is still getting it's act together, and they need another target besides Hill and Kelce. Apparently Hardman and others are not cutting it.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score

i think part of why they are not using the middle is because defenses are crowding the middle. They are giving the steelers the deep throws to the outside because they don't think the steelers can hit those at a high %.

If they don't bring in a WR that is a deep threat, then they should send DJ deep more often. I know they like DJ doing the underneath stuff but if you use DJ and Claypool both to challenge deep then it may open things up to use JuJu and Freiermuth underneath.

I can't decide if the steeler offense is too simple or too complicated. Are the WRs making bad reads and running the wrong routes and that's why they're covered because they are running into coverage instead of away from it.

This would also explain why Ben is holding the ball longer. Not only are guys not open, but he's not sure where anybody is going. Looks like there is definitely some of that but just how much is the question.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
then why did the chiefs sign him? It's because they have no run game. They have a brand new OL that is still getting it's act together, and they need another target besides Hill and Kelce. Apparently Hardman and others are not cutting it.
CEH is 12th in the league in rushing and the Chiefs are averaging 107 rushing yards per game...54 more yards per game than the Steelers.

i think part of why they are not using the middle is because defenses are crowding the middle. They are giving the steelers the deep throws to the outside because they don't think the steelers can hit those at a high %.

If they don't bring in a WR that is a deep threat, then they should send DJ deep more often. I know they like DJ doing the underneath stuff but if you use DJ and Claypool both to challenge deep then it may open things up to use JuJu and Freiermuth underneath.

I can't decide if the steeler offense is too simple or too complicated. Are the WRs making bad reads and running the wrong routes and that's why they're covered because they are running into coverage instead of away from it.

This would also explain why Ben is holding the ball longer. Not only are guys not open, but he's not sure where anybody is going. Looks like there is definitely some of that but just how much is the question.
The Steelers can't let defenses dictate everything they do on offense. They should have guys who can win matchups over the middle of the field and need to take some risks to give defenses something to think about. A lot of the time the receivers are blanketed and adjustments need to be made. They just need to diversify the passing game because it's way too easy to defense for 10 games now.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
CEH is 12th in the league in rushing and the Chiefs are averaging 107 rushing yards per game...54 more yards per game than the Steelers.

The Steelers can't let defenses dictate everything they do on offense. They should have guys who can win matchups over the middle of the field and need to take some risks to give defenses something to think about. A lot of the time the receivers are blanketed and adjustments need to be made. They just need to diversify the passing game because it's way too easy to defense for 10 games now.
They have a lot of contested catch guys… but those kind of catches are still not high percentage grabs… how many times has claypool had balls knocked out of his hands so far?

Because most of our wideout are of average speed and quickness, the d shows a stacked box a lot and still has time to get guys back into coverage and cheat safeties over…
You can do some creative deep route things to pull guys open if your line can hold up for four or five seconds… right now it can’t

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
good damn thing we got this Kendrick Green. Look at this mauling power.