• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Need to Trade for a WR

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
They need a WR that can take the top off the defense. Claypool can in theory but he doesn't do it because he doesn't understand how to get open. He just tries to outrun the DB. Sometimes he does but that's not how you get open. You have to change speeds or fake a move inside and got outside or vice versa. The DB always knows where Claypool is going. That would be fine if Claypool had ball skills and could make contested catches. Anquan Bolden was probably never open by more that 6 inches in his career but get the ball near him and he's pulling it down.

JuJu and Washington don't have the speed. DJ does have the speed but he's needed to run the underneath routes.

Here's a few guys i think they should inquire about

Denzel Mims Jets. Mims was a healthy scratch 2 weeks in a row. The Jets installed a shanahan like offense and Mims is not a fit at all. He's the #5 WR. Maybe you can get him for a reasonable cost. Mims is a bit like Claypool in that he't not a great route runner but he has great ball skills in going up and getting contested deep balls.

KJ Hamler Denver. Hamler has tremendous speed and has already made some big plays in the NFL. Denver has Sutton and Jeudy as their top 2 and they use Tim Patrick quite a bit. Maybe they will part with Hamler

Devatne Parker Miami - The dolphins are struggling mightily. Rumor is they want to trade for Deshaun Watson. If that's the case then maybe they will part with Parker for more draft ammo to get Watson. Kind of like how they gave up on Minkah.

Preston Williams Miami - Williams made some big plays last year before getting injured. Now this year he's buried on the depth chart. Maybe he can be had for cheap.

Scour the Practice Squads. They need somebody who can get open deep and actually make the catch. Doesn't have to be a complete player. A One trick pony will so. But they need something because defenses are not backing off until they prove they can complete some deep balls.
Who is going to take ju-ju cap #? Trade bush for a 2nd round pick if you can.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Green flashes no ability. He's a light weight. Move on form him. That new car smell is almost gone.

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
Yeah, umm, Washington took the top of the defense just fine yesterday, and Ben had enough time to hit his wide open receiver 35 yards downfield for an 85-yard touchdown that would have made it a 7-point game with over 6 minutes left. Problem is, Ben doesn't make a lot of good deep throws anymore, let alone clutch ones.
Actually he was in a good rhythm at that point, though he did miss that throw. Hendrickson breathing down his neck wailing and wailing on him didn’t help, but he’s got to hit that throw.

Can’t help but wonder if it was DJ it wouldn’t connect. His deep sideline throws seemed to be best with burners like Wallace, Bryant, Brown & even Coates for his flash in the pan.

But I will argue with the clutch ones. The 2 1st downs to close out Buffalo game speak to that. Last year he had 5 come from behind wins. He’s always been clutch. But it’s hard to be clutch when you’re trailing by 3 scores 8 minutes left in 4th

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Green flashes no ability. He's a light weight. Move on form him. That new car smell is almost gone.
Its literally three games into his nfl
Career 😂😂😂….

Newsflash it takes years for most guys to reach starter because they have to physically and mentally adjust to the game.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Who is going to take ju-ju cap #? Trade bush for a 2nd round pick if you can.
A. Why would we need to trade Juju and what does his cap# matter… we have plenty of cap space… and Juju is on a virtual one year contract that voids after the season

B. Why would we trade Bush… that has zero to do with anything right now… we need two coverage ilbs… we don’t need less

6Lombardis

Reaction score
It did work when Cowher changed OC midway through the season. Trouble is we just changed OCs this off season and the offense looks the same as last year. That tells me it isn't just the OC. Could be Ben, could be Tomlin, could be both.
I wondered if it is Ben's play preferences, BUT in the hurry up on Sunday you could see Ben talking as they came to the line telling players "stuff" and I think he was making stuff up (remember Colts game, 2nd half last year). LO AND BEHOLD, they move the ball. So, I think it's the scripted FinctnerCanada play calling that SUUUUUUUCKKKKS!!!

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Actually he was in a good rhythm at that point, though he did miss that throw. Hendrickson breathing down his neck wailing and wailing on him didn’t help, but he’s got to hit that throw.

Can’t help but wonder if it was DJ it wouldn’t connect. His deep sideline throws seemed to be best with burners like Wallace, Bryant, Brown & even Coates for his flash in the pan.

But I will argue with the clutch ones. The 2 1st downs to close out Buffalo game speak to that. Last year he had 5 come from behind wins. He’s always been clutch. But it’s hard to be clutch when you’re trailing by 3 scores 8 minutes left in 4th
Yeah, a good rhythm. Took 'em on an 88-yard, 9+ minute field goal drive when they were down by three scores in the fourth quarter. Awesome.

Do you realize that Ben didn't have a single completion more than 10 yards downfield until the ******* FOURTH quarter? Midway through their ninth drive, he made a nice throw on a deep out to McCloud. Their NINTH drive. Here's the results from the first eight:

1) 5, INC
2) 3, INC, INC, 0
3) INC, INT
4) 6, 3, INC,
5) 7, 3, 16 (caught 4 yards past LOS), 12 (caught 6 yards past LOS), 6, 6, 3, 18 (caught 6 yards behind LOS), 4 (TD)
6) INC, INC
7) 6, INC, INT
8) 15 (10 yards downfield to Freiermuth), 21 (caught 1 yard behind LOS), INC, INC, INC

All but the last two of those incompletions were short passes. Pathetic.

When Ben was younger, I always had faith that he could bring the Steelers back. That he'd pull some amazing plays out of his *** to win, like he did in the Super Bowl against the Cardinals. He'd hit a deep pass like that one to Washington in his sleep. You can keep dreaming, but those days are long gone. Now I have to watch him throw 50 ****** short passes a game, and wonder why the Steelers are taking twelve-and-a-half minutes off the clock to put up a grand total of three points in the fourth quarter, when they're already getting their *** kicked by the Bengals.

It sucks.

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
how many of his longer passes were just flat dropped?

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
oh dear lord shut the hell up

you flash nothing at all and we still let you post here.

disappear again

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Disagree...at times he knocks dudes on their *****. Other times he's lost. He moves well...might be better at Guard.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
And, who is calling those plays? Canada with Tomlin's approval.

skialta

Reaction score
weapons can make up for a so so OL....these guys have been ******* brutal

The weapons did not make up for the ****** line that we had when they tried force feeding that bullshit line a decade ago. now the line is even worse and the weapons just as ineffective

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
But since you asked, the answer is zero. Zero of the few longer passes Ben threw were dropped. Here's the details:

I was wrong earlier, his first incompletion of the game wasn't a short pass, he overthrew Washington by several yards 28 yards downfield. His second and only other downfield pass in the first half was a gift pass interference penalty on a wobbler thrown several yards out of bounds on a 15-yard out pattern by Washington, the ball was uncatchable. Fast-forward to under five minutes left in the third quarter, his next two deep shots were overthrows in the end zone from the 24, intended for Freiermuth and Claypool, neither even close.

Finally, at the start of the fourth quarter, was the aforementioned nice deep out to McCloud. Then another sketchy PI call on a slight tug from Apple on Claypool, who was only able to get one hand on the ball at the 2 with the LOS at the 29, gaining 11 yards. On the next drive we have the blatant overthrow to Washington, a 13-yard out to Claypool, and finally a nice pump-fake to the right which led to a wide open Claypool 26 yards down field.

So out of Ben's 60 passes (58 officially attempted plus 2 penalties), a grand total of 9 were more than 10 yards down the field: 4 overthrows, 2 penalties, and 3 completions.

Like I said: Pathetic.

steelreeling

Reaction score
But since you asked, the answer is zero. Zero of the few longer passes Ben threw were dropped. Here's the details:

I was wrong earlier, his first incompletion of the game wasn't a short pass, he overthrew Washington by several yards 28 yards downfield. His second and only other downfield pass in the first half was a gift pass interference penalty on a wobbler thrown several yards out of bounds on a 15-yard out pattern by Washington, the ball was uncatchable. Fast-forward to under five minutes left in the third quarter, his next two deep shots were overthrows in the end zone from the 24, intended for Freiermuth and Claypool, neither even close.

Finally, at the start of the fourth quarter, was the aforementioned nice deep out to McCloud. Then another sketchy PI call on a slight tug from Apple on Claypool, who was only able to get one hand on the ball at the 2 with the LOS at the 29, gaining 11 yards. On the next drive we have the blatant overthrow to Washington, a 13-yard out to Claypool, and finally a nice pump-fake to the right which led to a wide open Claypool 26 yards down field.

So out of Ben's 60 passes (58 officially attempted plus 2 penalties), a grand total of 9 were more than 10 yards down the field: 4 overthrows, 2 penalties, and 3 completions.

Like I said: Pathetic.
Pretty soon the chant is gonna be "Blame Canada!"

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
Yeah, a good rhythm. Took 'em on an 88-yard, 9+ minute field goal drive when they were down by three scores in the fourth quarter. Awesome.

Do you realize that Ben didn't have a single completion more than 10 yards downfield until the ******* FOURTH quarter? Midway through their ninth drive, he made a nice throw on a deep out to McCloud. Their NINTH drive. Here's the results from the first eight:

1) 5, INC
2) 3, INC, INC, 0
3) INC, INT
4) 6, 3, INC,
5) 7, 3, 16 (caught 4 yards past LOS), 12 (caught 6 yards past LOS), 6, 6, 3, 18 (caught 6 yards behind LOS), 4 (TD)
6) INC, INC
7) 6, INC, INT
8) 15 (10 yards downfield to Freiermuth), 21 (caught 1 yard behind LOS), INC, INC, INC

All but the last two of those incompletions were short passes. Pathetic.

When Ben was younger, I always had faith that he could bring the Steelers back. That he'd pull some amazing plays out of his *** to win, like he did in the Super Bowl against the Cardinals. He'd hit a deep pass like that one to Washington in his sleep. You can keep dreaming, but those days are long gone. Now I have to watch him throw 50 ****** short passes a game, and wonder why the Steelers are taking twelve-and-a-half minutes off the clock to put up a grand total of three points in the fourth quarter, when they're already getting their *** kicked by the Bengals.

It sucks.
I remember a QB with a 1st down inside the 10-yard line in the 1994 AFC Championship Game vs. a piss *** Chargers team - who wasted a down on spiking the ball with over a minute left and 2 timeouts. All he had to do was complete a 3 yard pass.

I remember a QB with nearly 3 minutes left in the 2010 AFC Championship Game who converted a 2nd and 9 and 3rd and 6 on short passes for 2 first downs that had a ton of pressure.

I feel you, but clutch and distance are not necessarily correlated and there's absolutely zero reason they shouldn't have scored 2 TDs in those 12.5 minutes. It's not like Ben didn't overthrow guys in his prime before - see Mike Wallace Super Bowl XLV.

What bothers me openly is the ****** play calling when they had the ball in scoring range. Even the Freiermuth and Schuster TDs were kinda gimmicky. These are big hogs on the offensive line who have one thing you can't replace - the strength of youth. Let em just block forward and Najee right behind for short yardage TDs. Demoralize them by hitting them square in the face.

The FG kicking and punting with 8 minutes left was just plain quitting.

And Ben goes 3 quarters avoiding getting hit, then with the game basically done, only then does he basically say screw it, I'm going to take a hit but I'll throw it anyway?
Come out of gate with that attitude and you might find yourself up with a comfortable lead instead.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
I remember a QB with a 1st down inside the 10-yard line in the 1994 AFC Championship Game vs. a piss *** Chargers team - who wasted a down on spiking the ball with over a minute left and 2 timeouts. All he had to do was complete a 3 yard pass.

I remember a QB with nearly 3 minutes left in the 2010 AFC Championship Game who converted a 2nd and 9 and 3rd and 6 on short passes for 2 first downs that had a ton of pressure.

I feel you, but clutch and distance are not necessarily correlated and there's absolutely zero reason they shouldn't have scored 2 TDs in those 12.5 minutes. It's not like Ben didn't overthrow guys in his prime before - see Mike Wallace Super Bowl XLV.
It's great that you remember some nice short passes. And yes, Ben and every other quarterback who has ever played the position has had occasional overthrows.

When did I say that being clutch and throwing distance were correlated? What I said was Ben doesn't make many good deep throws anymore, clutch or otherwise.

The guy threw the ball 60 times on Sunday. Only 6 of those passes were 20 yards or more downfield. One was complete, one was ruled to be an eleven-yard PI that should have more correctly been called defensive holding, and four were overthrown. Not exactly a high percentage of success there.

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
When did I say that being clutch and throwing distance were correlated? What I said was Ben doesn't make many good deep throws anymore, clutch or otherwise.
You basically whined about short passes your entire thread.

Teams play defense too. There’s been some deep passes that Ben didn’t throw because he didn’t see.
There you go.

It's not like the line has crumbled at the edges like LT (especially) or RT, or had immediate pressure up the gut on the majority of the passing plays. Ben can get 3-4 seconds on passing plays - he may not be able to be his usual statue self but...

it's the running game that a dumpster fire not the <adequate?> pass protection.
I refuse to believe that there isn’t a football coach who could design an offense that works with what we have.

I don’t hate Canada. He may be a fine OC one day — but they needed someone of experience and credibility to come in so as to stand up to Ben. My experience is one earns respect before they effectively can coach, unless they are perceived as experts from their track record. It’s not limited to sports.

I really wish Tomlin did more due diligence on OC and interviewed outside the organization, with a focus on former Head Coaches. Doug Peterson is easiest to come to mind but why not ask Ken Whisenhunt to come back in? Again no guarantees they want it but what is the harm in inquiring? There has to be coaches who have insights on how to do more than run the same offense and just add motion or minor wrinkles.

steelreeling

Reaction score
I refuse to believe that there isn’t a football coach who could design an offense that works with what we have.
This is a good point. I wonder who is out there that can step in and wear the daddy-pants from day one & really change the way the O has been operating. Because i think if they dont change things, it's gonna get even uglier.

but they needed someone of experience and credibility to come in so as to stand up to Ben.
i agree with you here. Standing up to Ben seems to motivate him.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
oh dear lord shut the hell up

you flash nothing at all and we still let you post here.

disappear again
Come again? You'll see. I can live with rookie mistakes as long as the guy flashes ability. He's not doing that. I am correct. Green = bad draft pick.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
You basically whined about short passes your entire thread.

Teams play defense too. There’s been some deep passes that Ben didn’t throw because he didn’t see.
Yeah, I "whined" about short passes the entire thread, because it's nauseating that your hero had more deep overthrows (4) than completions (3). Still has nothing to do with being clutch or not. Ben missed chances all throughout the game, and if he's not seeing additional available deep passes, that's even worse.