• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Players Will NOT Participate in Voluntary Workouts

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers players are following the trend with the rest of the players around the NFL. They released a formal statement saying they will not participate in voluntary in-person activities, citing the lack of clear protocols and protections. You can see the full statement released by the NFLPA on behalf of the players below.

A statement from the Pittsburgh Steelers players: pic.twitter.com/aVHvka6j8C

โ€” NFLPA (@NFLPA) April 16, 2021

More to come.

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
As long as they have a full in-person camp and pre-season, I'm OK with distancing for the OTA's. By camp, every one of them should have a vaccine. If not, it's on them to deal.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Is it just me or does this feel more like a move by the players to get rid of voluntary offseason activities rather than worried about staying healthy from Covid?
They are voluntary activities though. So, to me it's like your boss asking you to come in and work for reduced salary when you're on your vacation.
That said, I wonder how this is going to affect those players who have "work out bonuses" tied to their participation in OTAs ... 'Cause for those guys, one they're losing some nice dough, and two, they're technically in breach of contract.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
They are voluntary activities though. So, to me it's like your boss asking you to come in and work for reduced salary when you're on your vacation.
That said, I wonder how this is going to affect those players who have "work out bonuses" tied to their participation in OTAs ... 'Cause for those guys, one they're losing some nice dough, and two, they're technically in breach of contract.
I don't have a problem with it. A lot of the offseason work seemed like overkill. I just don't know if the reason is genuine or if they have the bigger picture in mind.

Omar10213245

๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘‚๐ŸŽƒ๐Ÿˆ๐Ÿ‡๐Ÿฅ‘๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ‹๐Ÿช‚๐ŸŒž๐ŸŒ›๐ŸŒœโ˜‚โ˜”โ„๐ŸŒŠ๐Ÿฅด๐Ÿคฌ๐Ÿฅบ
Contributor
Reaction score
Bunch of spoiled *******. Get your ******* shot. This nonsense has been milked long enough.
I think it goes beyond that. I think this is a way, ineffective as I think it might be, for them to try and show the owners that even the owners basically had their way with them during the last CBA negotiations before last season, that the players arent afraid to "stand up to the owners and their construct of how the league is run". Personally, I think its a lame "show of force", but meh, whatever

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

They are IMPLIED voluntary work outs is what I think is meant. Make no mistake that there is team / owner / nfl / & peer pressure for them to be there and in a more manditory way than volunteer ( unless the definition of volunteer has changed). From the Steel Curtain days of having an actual off-season to this more modern era it has worked more and more into an IMPLIED voluntary thing. I think either they add it as part of the season, thinking the absorbant amount of money being made and turn NFL football into a full time job for the players.

Hell I've heard of players asking the team for permission to skip the volunteer work-outs........... yes, that sound volunteer to me.

PS **** Edleman and his 6,800-ish career yards being more deserving than Hines Ward for the HOF.

Salute the nation

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
Gotta give it to the players, they have gained alot of power through the last few years. They have figured out how to work 1/2 a year and make millions of dollars.

The rest of us have to work year round even through a pandemic for alot less.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Gotta give it to the players, they have gained alot of power through the last few years. They have figured out how to work 1/2 a year and make millions of dollars.

The rest of us have to work year round even through a pandemic for alot less.

Those players are only getting what the owners are allowing them to get. Make no mistake those "high powered" business men know exactly whats what and what is needed to flourish in making money for them. If it wasn't making money the players would be on call 24/7 if need be or the owners would hire scrabs if need be. tThe appearance of control can be deceptive.

Salute the nation

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
Those players are only getting what the owners are allowing them to get. Make no mistake those "high powered" business men know exactly whats what and what is needed to flourish in making money for them. If it wasn't making money the players would be on call 24/7 if need be or the owners would hire scrabs if need be. tThe appearance of control can be deceptive.

Salute the nation
100% agree. The owners are making Billions while the players are making Millions. But my thought process says the more the players get, the more AB moments happen.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
So, the players refused to do the voluntary on-field activities but they are OK with showing up at the training facility to train indoors in much closer contact. Just saw a dozen players showed up today for strength and conditioning with more on the way. So......this obviously has nothing to do with COVID now does it. Are the players trying to get rid of OTA's all together now?

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
So, the players refused to do the voluntary on-field activities but they are OK with showing up at the training facility to train indoors in much closer contact. Just saw a dozen players showed up today for strength and conditioning with more on the way. So......this obviously has nothing to do with COVID now does it. Are the players trying to get rid of OTA's all together now?
This is what I thought the players were trying to do just by using Covid as an excuse.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with it. A lot of the offseason work seemed like overkill. I just don't know if the reason is genuine or if they have the bigger picture in mind.
if by bigger picture you mean money, then yes i think the players have a bigger picture in mind.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
This is what I thought the players were trying to do just by using Covid as an excuse.
Showing up at the facility a couple days after refusing on-field voluntary activities proved they were using it as an excuse. I know they are "voluntary" but they are very much needed for rookies and young players trying to make the team.

SteelerinMD

Unleashing Mediocrity Since 1/22/07
Forefather
Reaction score
NFL is the only sport that has a "off season work out program" All other sports utilize training camps/Spring Training. Don't think it is a big deal, however training camp is a must for all times IMO

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
if by bigger picture you mean money, then yes i think the players have a bigger picture in mind.

If it concerns the NFL,........ when is money NOT a factor??

Both the players and the owners have made it all about the money and in evry aspect from recruiting to an afternoon watching to training camp all about the money.
There is absolutly no chance for them to revert back to the good O'l days even if and when they his rock bottom.

The commissioneer will never steer the ship as CAPTAIN money has a firm grip.

Salute the nation