• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers projected to receive two 2022 compensatory draft picks

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Now that the 2021 NFL Draft has come and gone, the second wave of free agency is underway for the NFL and the Pittsburgh Steelers. With signings of former Steelers already underway and the draft completed, compensatory pick formulas will no longer be influenced by new signings.

The big question for some fans is: Will the Steelers be receiving any compensatory picks for the 2022 NFL Draft? While the compensatory selections won’t be announced until the 2022 off-season, Over The Cap projects the Steelers will be in position for:

-3rd round compensatory pick (Bud Dupree)
-5th round compensatory pick (Matt Feiler)

One player that was absent from this projection was the contract for Mike Hilton—who signed a multi-year deal with division rival Cincinnati. With the complexity of the compensatory pick formula and its terms/regulations, time will tell if these projections come to fruition. Regardless, this gives the Steelers flexibility to make moves in the 2022 draft – in addition to the project $90M+ in cap space next off-season.

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Since we get screwed every year with comp picks, I say we get a 4th and that's it. If we got a 3rd and a 5th, I would be absolutely shocked.

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
Did the Ravens wait till after the draft to sign Villanueva? They are pricks either way.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Did the Ravens wait till after the draft to sign Villanueva? They are pricks either way.
Yes. And they announced they were doing so pre draft. They never give up comps in Balt...

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
if the Steelers cut Haeg probably Hilton would give them another 5th

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
Yes. And they announced they were doing so pre draft. They never give up comps in Balt...
If I were the Rooneys I would make a big stink about this manipulation behind closed doors to start then go public if nothing is done. This was clear cut case of manipulating the system and should be punishable.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
If I were the Rooneys I would make a big stink about this manipulation behind closed doors to start then go public if nothing is done. This was clear cut case of manipulating the system and should be punishable.

Commissioners Goodfernuthin responds:

tenor.gif

Steelmann

Reaction score
While I hear what you are saying it’s not like they were trying to hide that fact. Several people on here said that is exactly what would happen. I guess we could have matched it. They didn’t want to. Time to put in a new rule.

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
While I hear what you are saying it’s not like they were trying to hide that fact. Several people on here said that is exactly what would happen. I guess we could have matched it. They didn’t want to. Time to put in a new rule.
Which is why they need to raise a stink.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Our current Rooney is to soft as he proved it durring that scheduling debacle las season. The ******* gayvens threatened a strike......... WHY THE **** didn't we threaten if thye didn't play on schedule...??? To soft

Rooney: My team is ready to play as per schedule

rog: BBbbbuutttt they said.....

Rooney: **** what they said, we will strike and stick this boot up your *** as well

"one can dream"

Salute the nation

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Since we get screwed every year with comp picks, I say we get a 4th and that's it. If we got a 3rd and a 5th, I would be absolutely shocked.
Pat Kiran on MTC on SiriusXM stated PIT would get a 3rd and a 5th. He commented if PIT was to move up next year to get a QB, they could reach the 10-15 pick range if they finished the same as this past year (24). So if Colbert has that plan next draft, hopefully they get a good prospect.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I wished the compensory pick formula was more decipherable and direct. Every year we hear how we will get this or that due to this or that............... But when it's finally time to issue those picks, we seem to always come up short of expectations.

Ike, I do hope Colbert does have something in mind for a bonifide qb replacement of BEN. Mason Rudolf has yet to be given the keys and has been held back when given the opportunity. I realize Fitchner syndrone but sooner or later Rudolf will get the test and It's hard to know if he can pass it. He has had chances to shine but shine not he has done. I feel he is a slightly above average when the apron string is cut.

I hope the timing plays out correct and we are in such a place to make a good QB grab but one big thing is we won't be starting from 1.24 it will be more like 1.32

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Pat Kiran on MTC on SiriusXM stated PIT would get a 3rd and a 5th. He commented if PIT was to move up next year to get a QB, they could reach the 10-15 pick range if they finished the same as this past year (24). So if Colbert has that plan next draft, hopefully they get a good prospect.

See above post, sorry as I meant to quote yaz

Salute the nation

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
Man, next off-season will be unlike anything we've experienced in our lifetimes. I was reading Steelers are slated to have the most cap room in the whole league!?! WTF? Plus these comp picks... good Lord. I think Colbert will want to stick around for another year or two, our FO is going to be doing some heavy lifting real soon. Exciting to think of the pieces that will be added to this historic franchise, along with inking our superstars like TJ & Minkah to long term deals.

Here are a few teams with the most projected cap space in 2022, per Over the Cap:
  • Pittsburgh Steelers: $113 million.
  • Indianapolis Colts: $108.89 million.
  • Seattle Seahawks: $97.8 million.
  • Washington Football Team: $90 million.
  • Denver Broncos: $88 million.

Last edited:

Paul G

Bleed Black 'n' Gold
Contributor
Reaction score
Man, next off-season will be unlike anything we've experienced in our lifetimes. I was reading Steelers are slated to have the most cap room in the whole league!?! WTF? Plus these comp picks... good Lord. I think Colbert will want to stick around for another year or two, our FO is going to be doing some heavy lifting real soon. Exciting to think of the pieces that will be added to this historic franchise, along with inking our superstars like TJ & Minkah to long term deals.

Here are a few teams with the most projected cap space in 2022, per Over the Cap:
  • Pittsburgh Steelers: $113 million.
  • Indianapolis Colts: $108.89 million.
  • Seattle Seahawks: $97.8 million.
  • Washington Football Team: $90 million.
  • Denver Broncos: $88 million.
So you are saying there's a chance .......... if we restructure a few contracts per our norm ..... we would come up just short of signing Aaron Rodgers EGO and expected one year salary .... away from the Packers

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
So you are saying there's a chance .......... if we restructer a few contracts per our norm ..... we would come up just short of signing Aaron Rodgers EGO and expected one year salary .... away from the Packers

I don't know about that... but it does seem the door will be wide open as far as our options in finding our next franchise QB. What that entails, we'll see. But we'll have more room to navigate the cap than for as long as I can remember.

Paul G

Bleed Black 'n' Gold
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know about that... but it does seem the door will be wide open as far as our options in finding our next franchise QB. What that entails, we'll see. But we'll have more room to navigate the cap than for as long as I can remember.
As long as we don't become the new Cleveland as far as drafting and FA signings in vain ...........lol

Agree Tibs this is going to be weird being placed in this situation ...... this is a HUGE opportunity for the franchise

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Wait for all those extensions and see that cap dilute faster than you can say freiermuth

I hear yaz Litos, TJ WATT is looking like 29mil / year (possible), that 113 is now down to 84mil..................................

Add in Mincha and others and it's way less than one would think.

I agree that it is way better than where we usually start but also see it gone pretty fast.

Salute the nation

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
I wished the compensory pick formula was more decipherable and direct. Every year we hear how we will get this or that due to this or that............... But when it's finally time to issue those picks, we seem to always come up short of expectations.

Ike, I do hope Colbert does have something in mind for a bonifide qb replacement of BEN. Mason Rudolf has yet to be given the keys and has been held back when given the opportunity. I realize Fitchner syndrone but sooner or later Rudolf will get the test and It's hard to know if he can pass it. He has had chances to shine but shine not he has done. I feel he is a slightly above average when the apron string is cut.

I hope the timing plays out correct and we are in such a place to make a good QB grab but one big thing is we won't be starting from 1.24 it will be more like 1.32

Salute the nation

The complexity of the comp pick formula is due to how the formula uses the contract a player signed is calculated. There are talks being generated about outlining how the picks are determined. However, it’s not for the fan or public purposes, but rather organizations that are pulling fast ones on contract structures and most importantly timing their FA signings. BAL and the Cheats have been notorious for circumventing the model over the years, because the model isn’t fully explained to the media. Some of the talks are including really laying down the impact of an entire contract a team gives its player. Most importantly closing the signing period loophole that BAL frequently uses. They negotiate with a player before the run out period starts and after it does then signs the player (As what happened to Villanueva). Any contact with a player before the run out period expires will be included in the formula if that player subsequently is signed.

This is one of the biggest pet peeves I have with Goodell. As commissioner, besides his main job of making money for the league, it’s making the game better. It’s why they have a competition committee. Yet he rarely is proactive in introducing any recommendation. He only does when someone’s head on the chopping block. The Comp pick issue has been simmering for several years as the figures for teams with comp picks and the rounds given are now being tabulated by the actual FA loss/signed accords.

I heard during an conference regarding technology improvements in the sports industry that safety (as well it should be) is the primary focus for tech in football at the moment. But there are a couple of advancements that have been proven and available, but not implemented for whatever reason. Cost most likely, but if the NFL introduced it, the trickle down effect would gradually decrease the cost out right. One such tech is laser first down markers. A micro chip is inserted into each end of the football and sync’d to laser sensors in the markers. This is the cheapest of the advancements and doesn’t impact play at all (except the chain gang drama for first down). It would actually SPEED Up the game, which is one of the complaints about football itself. We are starting to see cameras introduced from many different angles because there size has been reduced to pen levels. Ironically, its been said Belichick introduced this idea a few years ago. Some of the more interesting ideas included drones instead of the canopy (wired) cameras the networks use to get those moving backfield shots.

In any case, the Commish is going full bore to make the game international (it already is) by having games all over the place off continent. It’s not feasible, nor sustainable as a regular feature except for exhibitions or once a year. The NFLPA doesn’t want it, and ticket holders definitely don’t. So, why to strong arm for it? Making the game better and more enjoyable to watch would increase revenue more than the novelty out of country game.

Rant over….Drink got the piss fest going bringing up the comp formula unsolved mystery episode and I had to get it out.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The complexity of the comp pick formula is due to how the formula uses the contract a player signed is calculated. There are talks being generated about outlining how the picks are determined. However, it’s not for the fan or public purposes, but rather organizations that are pulling fast ones on contract structures and most importantly timing their FA signings. BAL and the Cheats have been notorious for circumventing the model over the years, because the model isn’t fully explained to the media. Some of the talks are including really laying down the impact of an entire contract a team gives its player. Most importantly closing the signing period loophole that BAL frequently uses. They negotiate with a player before the run out period starts and after it does then signs the player (As what happened to Villanueva). Any contact with a player before the run out period expires will be included in the formula if that player subsequently is signed.

This is one of the biggest pet peeves I have with Goodell. As commissioner, besides his main job of making money for the league, it’s making the game better. It’s why they have a competition committee. Yet he rarely is proactive in introducing any recommendation. He only does when someone’s head on the chopping block. The Comp pick issue has been simmering for several years as the figures for teams with comp picks and the rounds given are now being tabulated by the actual FA loss/signed accords.

I heard during an conference regarding technology improvements in the sports industry that safety (as well it should be) is the primary focus for tech in football at the moment. But there are a couple of advancements that have been proven and available, but not implemented for whatever reason. Cost most likely, but if the NFL introduced it, the trickle down effect would gradually decrease the cost out right. One such tech is laser first down markers. A micro chip is inserted into each end of the football and sync’d to laser sensors in the markers. This is the cheapest of the advancements and doesn’t impact play at all (except the chain gang drama for first down). It would actually SPEED Up the game, which is one of the complaints about football itself. We are starting to see cameras introduced from many different angles because there size has been reduced to pen levels. Ironically, its been said Belichick introduced this idea a few years ago. Some of the more interesting ideas included drones instead of the canopy (wired) cameras the networks use to get those moving backfield shots.

In any case, the Commish is going full bore to make the game international (it already is) by having games all over the place off continent. It’s not feasible, nor sustainable as a regular feature except for exhibitions or once a year. The NFLPA doesn’t want it, and ticket holders definitely don’t. So, why to strong arm for it? Making the game better and more enjoyable to watch would increase revenue more than the novelty out of country game.

Rant over….Drink got the piss fest going bringing up the comp formula unsolved mystery episode and I had to get it out.

GREAT Rant IKE !!!

The "rog" has never been about making the game better but he has been about increase revenue.

His rookie early days were all about under the rug / ducking & weaving in cover of certain favorable teams. NOT one single "true & honest" football fan can say that the cheatriots never got perferential treatment.

Also the manipulation of the rules were designed to keep the "fan" off the big picture. Controversy on a call kept them focused on officiating and tough call when actually is manipulation of the game the general "fan" should be concerned with.

It wasn't long ago when a "catch" was un-decipherable & not much better today even though they have the public convinced it is. Also early game penalties that are not game significant to offset later game significant calls. To many fine line items to not be concerned about as a commissioner, which he doesn't clean up.

Just look at the past two commissioners and you can see a total difference in the integrity of the game. The fan believed truth of the game but today that truth has fizzled and fadded faster than a red sweatshirt in a chloroxed white load of laundry.

Not tring to keep up with your rant but here is my mini

Salute the nation

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
GREAT Rant IKE !!!

The "rog" has never been about making the game better but he has been about increase revenue.

His rookie early days were all about under the rug / ducking & weaving in cover of certain favorable teams. NOT one single "true & honest" football fan can say that the cheatriots never got perferential treatment.

Also the manipulation of the rules were designed to keep the "fan" off the big picture. Controversy on a call kept them focused on officiating and tough call when actually is manipulation of the game the general "fan" should be concerned with.

It wasn't long ago when a "catch" was un-decipherable & not much better today even though they have the public convinced it is. Also early game penalties that are not game significant to offset later game significant calls. To many fine line items to not be concerned about as a commissioner, which he doesn't clean up.

Just look at the past two commissioners and you can see a total difference in the integrity of the game. The fan believed truth of the game but today that truth has fizzled and fadded faster than a red sweatshirt in a chloroxed white load of laundry.

Not tring to keep up with your rant but here is my mini

Salute the nation

oh that part is a WHOLE other rant to be saved. If only, ONLY, the media really pushed harder after Senator Arlen Specter brought up what every person with a brain could figure out regarding Spygate. While ESPN ran with it, the media corporate giants stayed away from it because they are invested with the big three networks (No ABC isn’t one of them). If Specter had introduced removing the NFLs Anti-Trust exemption and not just floating it “as a possibility“ there is no doubt in my mind the majority of owners would have made Goodell chop the head of the snake and ban some pretty famous Patriot members.

Oh, on that note, notice how quietly Ernie Adam’s retirement from the Patriot organization went through the media circles last week? Yep, “soft as a whisper”, almost as subtle like what his job was for NE.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
oh that part is a WHOLE other rant to be saved. If only, ONLY, the media really pushed harder after Senator Arlen Specter brought up what every person with a brain could figure out regarding Spygate. While ESPN ran with it, the media corporate giants stayed away from it because they are invested with the big three networks (No ABC isn’t one of them). If Specter had introduced removing the NFLs Anti-Trust exemption and not just floating it “as a possibility“ there is no doubt in my mind the majority of owners would have made Goodell chop the head of the snake and ban some pretty famous Patriot members.

Oh, on that note, notice how quietly Ernie Adam’s retirement from the Patriot organization went through the media circles last week? Yep, “soft as a whisper”, almost as subtle like what his job was for NE.

Yep, the brains of that organization is gone and now the GREAT Billicheat will become the O'l browns coach that we all knew and loved....................

Salute the nation

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score

The guy was a freaking spy