• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Request Interview with Patrick Graham

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Early reports on Saturday indicted that the Pittsburgh Steelers would take the easy hire and promote Teryl Austin to defensive coordinator.

Not so fast, according to reports on Sunday night. The team has reportedly requested to interview Giants assistant head coach, and defensive coordinator Patrick Graham. Graham’s future with the Giants is uncertain due to the fact Joe Judge was fired. Graham did have an interview for the head coaching position there.

The #Steelers put in a request to interview #Giants DC Patrick Graham for the same position in Pittsburgh, per source.

They're seeking a replacement for Keith Butler, who retired Saturday, and Graham is well-regarded.

— Tom Pelissero (@TomPelissero) January 24, 2022

The Giants ranked 23rd in the league for points allowed, and 21st in yards allowed. They did force 15 interceptions and 12 fumbles.

Graham, 43, spent 6 seasons with the Patriots under Bill Belichick as an assistant, winning Super Bowl 49.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I read his bio and it appears the Giants defense made some good strides last season. Maybe the biggest plus is he has a desire to be a head coach.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I read his bio and it appears the Giants defense made some good strides last season. Maybe the biggest plus is he has a desire to be a head coach.
ThInk he will be allowed to call the plays?

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
ThInk he will be allowed to call the plays?
No. First because they only made the request so that they can fulfill their obligation under the Rooney Rule and quiet the masses of Steeler Nation. Don't forget that under the revised Rooney Rule, teams are required to interview at least one EXTERNAL minority when filling a coordinator's position. This satisfies the rule and allows them to hire Austin without running afoul of the league. And it provides them with a "we looked outside the organization" response to Steelers fans who are tired of the internal hires.
Tomlin knows that not only is Graham being interviewed for the Giants' HC position, he's also previously stated that he would like to stay on as the Giants' DC. That doesn't sound like a guy who, unless he's fired, would take a lateral move to Pittsburgh.

Second, Tomlin calls the plays. That's it, that's all. smh

Last edited:

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Defensive that statistically rated worse than the Steelers. But he fits the narrative.

FordFairLane

Reaction score

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
This is pretty funny about Austin. But again he has the one and only qualification that matters to Art the piece of 💩

Not sure I want to know what qualification you are leaning towards. But why do posters have to throw comments like, "the piece of ****". I don't agree with his approach to the team but until this last year the team was always against the cap in spending. And never have fielded a losing season under captain cliche. I hate to even throw that out there as I want changes just as much as the next guy. And hate the handcuffed approach they are taking. Just don't think the guy is a piece of ****. Unless you have some insight of wrong doing that nobody else is privy to. You been hiding under his bed? Or reading tea leaves?

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Not sure I want to know what qualification you are leaning towards. But why do posters have to throw comments like, "the piece of ****". I don't agree with his approach to the team but until this last year the team was always against the cap in spending. And never have fielded a losing season under captain cliche. I hate to even throw that out there as I want changes just as much as the next guy. And hate the handcuffed approach they are taking. Just don't think the guy is a piece of ****. Unless you have some insight of wrong doing that nobody else is privy to. You been hiding under his bed? Or reading tea leaves?
He’s been throwing a mediocre team out there for 11 years. You don’t ruin a team in one season or two. Just like you don’t ruin a country in a year or two. It happens slowly. You slowly purge the team of hard nosed football players. You change the mindset of the fans where mediocrity is “good enough” and overtime you have a complacent fan base and team.

Chief was the real thing and Dan was “ok” because he at least knew what the team should be. But he plagued Art’s head with stupidity and now we have to deal with it.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
He’s been throwing a mediocre team out there for 11 years. You don’t ruin a team in one season or two. Just like you don’t ruin a country in a year or two. It happens slowly. You slowly purge the team of hard nosed football players. You change the mindset of the fans where mediocrity is “good enough” and overtime you have a complacent fan base and team.

Chief was the real thing and Dan was “ok” because he at least knew what the team should be. But he plagued Art’s head with stupidity and now we have to deal with it.

Dan put that 70s team together so I'd say he was much better than OK. I'd say he actually stepped the team up from the Chief.

slash akes a very good point as well. Do I disagree with FO manageent......yes

Salute the nation

Shane Falco

Pain is temporary, Glory lasts forever
Contributor
Reaction score
I think we will see one more body brought in for an interview to check the Rooney rule box before they officially hire Austin. I believe they need to interview another minority as well non minority regardless of Austin’s ethnicity.

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
Wink Martindale is available. Say what you want about the Ravens, but their D has been stellar for a long time. How do you not interview him??

Shane Falco

Pain is temporary, Glory lasts forever
Contributor
Reaction score
Wink Martindale is available. Say what you want about the Ravens, but their D has been stellar for a long time. How do you not interview him??
I don’t think Martindale would want to be a figurehead with Tomlin calling the defenses during the game. I would love to see him brought in as well as the Ryan brothers.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

stuntmanmike

Contributor
Reaction score
This is pretty funny about Austin. But again he has the one and only qualification that matters to Art the piece of 💩

Bungals obsessed with us, stocking us, we’re going to have to get a restraining order… they should happy as pigs n ***** and they are worried about us! living in cinncy rent free! Of course have to pay me to live in cinncy

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
What kind of business sense does it make to purposefully go out and find the worst guys you can at a given position so you can hire them to ... make your team better?

stuntmanmike

Contributor
Reaction score
All these teams, like Steelers, giants, Buffalo that use a two down linemen better go back to chalk board, the better qbs are just taking a blow torch to these defenses… we Could have the top draft picks and a decade to to figure it out Tomlin and his staff wouldn’t. You really have to have 8 guys that can cover but also stop the run! we need to draft 7 guys for the defense! But then it wouldn’t matter with these coaches! Use to be the Steelers was the team to figured this **** out… Cowher made his bones figuring out how to stop jim Kelly and his k gun offense… Brady torched us now Mahomes… I would be a little ”determined” to find a coordinator that can figure this **** out rather than promoting your buddy If I were tomlin.

steelhurt

Reaction score

Fordy, you have to give Dan much more credit than just he was ok. He was very instrumental in building that 70’s dynasty with Chuck. Dan was a very respected and influential owner and was a key member on moving the NFL forward.
Art II is a businessman first and foremost and is nowhere near the passionate owner his dad was. Sure he cares but filling the seats, selling the brand and gear, raking in the TV money, that’s top priority.

Last edited:

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Hmmm?

I think the Steeler front office got wind of the Bengal fans laughing at us for the Austin hire and had 2nd thoughts lol...

Last edited:

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Even if you don’t hire him, I try to bring him in for an interview just to pick his brain a little.

Have Art Duece sit him down one on one in Art's office, no other ears and ask point blank..... what is wrong with our team.? If he answers honestly, hire him on the spot as our new HEAD COACH.

Salute the nation