• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Request Permission to Interview Kris Richard

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Another day, and another request from the Pittsburgh Steelers. This time they’ve put in a request to the New Orleans Saints to interview their defensive backs coach, Kris Richard.

The #Steelers have requested to interview #Saints DBs coach Kris Richard for their vacant defensive coordinator opening, source said. The former #Seahawks DC gets another chance after impressing in New Orleans.

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) January 25, 2022

Richard comes with a strong resume’ of developing defensive backs. He was the defensive backs coach in Seattle during the prime Legion of Bomb days. Those team of course went to two Super Bowls winning one of them.

He was promoted to Defensive Coordinator in Seattle when Dan Quinn went to Atlanta to become their head coach. He spent three seasons as their defensive coordinator before being fired in 2017.

On Monday the Steelers made a request to interview Giants defensive coordinator Patrick Graham.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
Interviewing scrubs makes the inhouse hire look more attractive. Here is three unattractive options let's pick one. SMH.
It is ridiculous that one of the premier NFL franchises are interviewing this level of talent to be a coordinator. It really does embolden the notion that Tomlin surrounds himself with "YES" men.

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
forgive me if I sound ignorant and I don't mean to be, but it seems like they are filling their interview quota to announce Austin. Maybe there is some interest in Richard and Graham, but realistically, I don't seeing either one overstepping Austin.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
MT: "Hey Kris, your resume looks pretty good. Uh. What I need to know is just uh. Say "Yes".

KR: "What?"

MT: "No, I want you to say "Yes".

KR: "Ok. Uh. Yes?"

MT: "No. Say it with conviction."

KR: "Yes."

MT: "More conviction."

KR: "Yes!"

MT: "Sigh. You know what. Thank y..."

KR: "YES!"

MT: "Ok. Now, I want you to look at me and say absolutely nothing at all."

KR: "?............. (crickets chirp in the background)

MT: "Thanks Kris. I gotta say, we're really pretty interested. I need to talk to a few people. You know. Kinda do some due diligence. But uh, we'll let you know."

KR: " (crickets continue chirping""

MT: "Damn! You ARE a good candidate."

stuntmanmike

Contributor
Reaction score
Rooney‘s have spoken from up top ”find a DC” of course tomlin is only interviewing retreads and buddys… did the same last year with the offense. the guys he’s interviewing are a joke… they have to build a defense that has to stop three pretty damn good qbs 6 games a year, then take on the likes of Mahomes, Herbert, Allen, get ready for more ”7 on 7. why are they retreads? so Tomlin can rubber stamp the defense. we are witnessing to total and complete destruction of our beloved Steelers the one thing theat kept “Steeler Nation“ together during the great diaspora of the eighties and the nineties when the city’s economy imploded forcing tens of thousand to leave Pittsburgh. walk into any city there are Steeler bars with exPittsburghers coming together renewing a love for the city and the team where so many great memories are locked up. It’s hard to watch those with no real connection to the city or the team destroy it right in front of our eyes. boooooooooo

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
It is ridiculous that one of the premier NFL franchises are interviewing this level of talent to be a coordinator. It really does embolden the notion that Tomlin surrounds himself with "YES" men.
And this will continue until..................

but we all know that won't happen. Welcome to the standard.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
GottA move the pile BooM boom
GottA move the pile BooM boom

Can't relax need a yes man
Can't relax need a yes man BooM boom

want no one to interfear with me
want all to agree yes man YES me BooM boom

Thank you sir thank you Rooney BooM booM
thank you sir THANK you rooney boom BOOM

Salute the nation

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
forgive me if I sound ignorant and I don't mean to be, but it seems like they are filling their interview quota to announce Austin. Maybe there is some interest in Richard and Graham, but realistically, I don't seeing either one overstepping Austin.
The quota would be met by interviewing either Graham or Richard. Teams only have to interview one external minority candidate for coordinator positions. They have to interview two external candidates for GM or HC positions.

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
The quota would be met by interviewing either Graham or Richard. Teams only have to interview one external minority candidate for coordinator positions. They have to interview two external candidates for GM or HC positions.
I am hoping they are bringing in real candidates, with a real chance for the job. Best person for the position.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
They do have to meet the "quota" before hiring Austin. They must interview 2 minority candidates before hiring any coach. That is the NFL rule.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I am hoping they are bringing in real candidates, with a real chance for the job. Best person for the position.

None of the candidates jump out at you, not top end candidates, Typical Tomlin.

Salute the nation

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I think Richard is an intriguing option. He's only 42 and had a successful run with Seattle as their DC for three years. His worst output was 13th in yards and points against the year he got fired. It was also a year when the offense started to fall off and numerous injuries to the defense. He was DB coach during the Legion of Boom era and immediately upgraded the Saints' secondary this past year in TDs allowed and interceptions. I don't know if he's the best candidate out there, but his qualifications aren't too bad. Saints fans also don't seem to want to lose him just as Patrick Graham is very well respected in New York.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I think Richard is an intriguing option. He's only 42 and had a successful run with Seattle as their DC for three years. His worst output was 13th in yards and points against the year he got fired. It was also a year when the offense started to fall off and numerous injuries to the defense. He was DB coach during the Legion of Boom era and immediately upgraded the Saints' secondary this past year in TDs allowed and interceptions. I don't know if he's the best candidate out there, but his qualifications aren't too bad. Saints fans also don't seem to want to lose him just as Patrick Graham is very well respected in New York.
I thought I read where each year he coached the unit took a notch backwards. But injuries can impact as you mentioned. Probably still a better option than MT calling plays. Which is why I would be shocked if he was hired.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I thought I read where each year he coached the unit took a notch backwards. But injuries can impact as you mentioned. Probably still a better option than MT calling plays. Which is why I would be shocked if he was hired.
Seattle's defense from 2015-17:

Pass: 2nd
Rush: 1st
Total: 2nd
Points allowed: 1st
Takeaways: 21st
Sacks: 17th

Pass: 8th
Rush: 7th
Total: 5th
Points allowed: 3rd
Takeaways: 20th
Sacks: 3rd

2017 (I misread the original stats I saw for the rankings for this season)
Pass: 17th
Rush: 10th
Total: 18th
Points allowed: 22nd
Takeaways: 20th
Sacks: 11th
Injury Notes: Cliff Avril (12 games missed), Kam Chancellor (7 games missed), Richard Sherman (7 games missed), Earl Thomas and Sheldon Richardson. PA jumped from 20 to 24 over the final 7 games.

I'm not trying to sell him as the next big coordinator, instead that he is a qualified coordinator. The Ravens are interviewing him as well. I also read today that Caldwell could get the Bears job and there's a chance he'll bring Austin with him as DC. With Payton out in New Orleans, maybe Tomlin is able to hire Richard as DB coach. There are some moving parts right now.

Stewey

Reaction score
Another day, and another request from the Pittsburgh Steelers. This time they’ve put in a request to the New Orleans Saints to interview their defensive backs coach, Kris Richard.
Seriously? Next they'll try and get Mick Jagger?