• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Seeking ‘Mobile’ Quarterback

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The end of an era officially happened yesterday
for the Pittsburgh Steelers with the retirement of Ben Roethlisberger.

The team will now turn their attention to finding the replacement for Roethlisberger. And we’re starting to a common theme coming from the organization. They want a quarterback that is able to move around the pocket and possibly convert first downs with his legs.

Now Roethlisberger was always able to move around in the pocket until his later years, but they haven’t had a quarterback that was a dual threat since Kordell Stewart. ‘Slash’ was ahead of his time and would’ve probably flourished in today’s NFL. He would’ve been able to take the abuse from running because of his toughness and stature.

Today Steelers President Art Rooney II spoke to the media about what he expects the Steelers to look for in their next quarterback.

Like Mike Tomlin, Art Rooney II emphasized mobility as a trait the Steelers are looking for in their next quarterback:

"Mobile quarterbacks are are the wave of the future. Having mobility at that position is something that would be desirable."

— Brooke Pryor (@bepryor) January 28, 2022

Rooney also said that Dwayne Haskins and Mason Rudolph will get a chance to compete for that position. Neither Haskins or Rudolph are known for their running ability but they can move around in the pocket some. But it sounds like they covet something MORE from the terms of running ability than what those guys have to offer.

Re: QB traits, Rooney II also added: "The other the other thing that's desirable is somebody that can read a defense and complete a pass down field."

— Brooke Pryor (@bepryor) January 28, 2022

Regardless of the rest these things are also necessary.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Supersteeler

Reaction score
Ben was plenty mobile before he started getting old and beat up. You don't need a QB who can run all over the field and break 80 yard TD runs. He just has to be elusive in the pocket and agile enough to keep people honest.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
not a ringing endorsement on Rudolph nor Haskins...

Hines field

Reaction score
So dumb. This team has no forward thinking. Why not bring in a qb last year to be the number 2 to sit behind Ben (not talking about his end all be all replacement). If you knew 1 you were keeping Canada and 2 you had no desire for Mason or Haskins. Sounds like the QB will be starting fresh regardless if we draft a reach of a qb or not.

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I am sure with Tomlin at the helm we will end up with Kordell v.2.0. As if that wasn't painful enough.

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Kordell would thrive in today's NFL. His skill set wasn't right for the times and offenses.
Sorry, but Kordell as a QB would not thrive in any era. He could not hit the broad side of a barn with a football from 10' away. At some point a QB has to be able to make the necessary throws, Kordell NEVER could.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry, but Kordell as a QB would not thrive in any era. He could not hit the broad side of a barn with a football from 10' away. At some point a QB has to be able to make the necessary throws, Kordell NEVER could.
LIAR
if that barn was underground, he'd pummel it like a British air field in WW2

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Art is 5 years too late. NFL defenses have adjusted. Look at who’s still in the playoffs. Passing QB’s. The Vicks, RG3’s and Jacksons are flash in the pans. If we want a mobile QB better be a pass first and only runs under duress.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
LIAR
if that barn was underground, he'd pummel it like a British air field in WW2
So basically Action Jackson present day.

Last edited:

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
No need for a gimmick qb. Just mobile,football smart and accurate.

Kordell did not have the mental toughness and after his meltdown in the afccg vs Denver he was never the same. He should have played WR full time with the occasional trick play.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
No need for a gimmick qb. Just mobile,football smart and accurate.

Kordell did not have the mental toughness and after his meltdown in the afccg vs Denver he was never the same. He should have played WR full time with the occasional trick play.
Yep stayed as..... wait for it...

Slash

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
My theory is they've let it be known they're content heading into season with Mason & Haskins. Gonna let that sit out there for a while.

In the meantime, I'd bet my left arm that behind the scenes, they are working feverishly on figuring out the best way to bring in a new QB. This is a team that moved up 11 spots to pick Polamalu, 10 spots to pick Devin Bush and made an aggressive trade to bring in Minkah. Rooney, Tomlin & Colbert (however long he's here) know full well this is an end of an era. Which means it's also the *beginning* of a new era. I'd say all options are on the table. They know how crucial the QB spot is. They're not stupid.

Literally nothing would shock me over the next few months. I doubt there are any starting-caliber QB's they're not looking at right now, all around the league. Besides the handful of QB's that are obviously locked-in on their own teams, Mahomes et al. The NFL is a league of attrition and often times turmoil. New GMs, new coaching staffs coming in, who knows what type of deals may be had moving forward? Exciting times indeed.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
My theory is they've let it be known they're content heading into season with Mason & Haskins. Gonna let that sit out there for a while.

In the meantime, I'd bet my left arm that behind the scenes, they are working feverishly on figuring out the best way to bring in a new QB. This is a team that moved up 11 spots to pick Polamalu, 10 spots to pick Devin Bush and made an aggressive trade to bring in Minkah. Rooney, Tomlin & Colbert (however long he's here) know full well this is an end of an era. Which means its also the beginning of a new era. I'd say all options are on the table. They know how crucial the QB spot is. They're not stupid.

Literally nothing would shock me over the next few months. I doubt there are any starting-caliber QB's they're not looking at right now, all around the league. Besides the handful of QB's that are obviously locked-in on their own teams, Mahomes et al. The NFL is a league of attrition and often times turmoil. New GMs, new coaching staffs coming in, who knows what type of deals may be had moving forward? Exciting times indeed.
wondering what the trade value is for a certain Qb in Houston who likes his butthole rubbed.

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
wondering what the trade value is for a certain Qb in Houston who likes his butthole rubbed.

I'd say there are at least a half a dozen established QB's that could be pried from their teams: Kirk Cousins, Derek Carr, Ryan Tannehill, Russell Wilson, Jimmy Garropolo, Jameis Winston. In my view, none of these players are *locked-in* on their teams heading into next year, for various reasons. All of these QBs are light years ahead of Mason/Haskins. Same goes for any rookie available in the draft.

If the right player becomes available, I wouldn't doubt the Steelers brass making an aggressive move. If they're willing to give up a 1st round pick for a safety(!), what won't they do to secure a new QB to build around for at least a few years? I'd say sky is the limit, including packaging some established players in a deal. I think they're open to cathartic change at this point, with Ben gone.

Whoever started the rumor six months ago that Tomlin is not looking to start over with a rookie QB was spot on, in my view. Tomlin sees the landscape in the NFL. Sees how ****** QB's hold back a franchise. My money says Rooney agrees with him, and they cook up a deal for an established QB.

Last edited:

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
Desmond Ridder in the 2nd round, Willis if he falls to round 3

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Art is 5 years too late. NFL defenses have adjusted. Look at who’s still in the playoffs. Passing QB’s. The Vicks, RG3’s and Jacksons are flash in the pans. If we want a mobile QB better be a pass first and only runs under duress.
I didn't see where Art said mobile meant they wanted a run first QB like those you mentioned or a "run scared" Manziel/Mayfield type. A Mahomes/Allen type would fit the bill (well, a reasonable approximation since franchise guys don't just drop in your lap every year). Heck, a Burrows type would do. There's plenty of ways for a QB to show mobility; not just running. As someone mentioned, in his younger years, Ben was mobile enough without racking up huge amounts of rushing attempts/yards.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Yep stayed as..... wait for it...

Slash

And I meant that in the best way too. He really had some wheels and good hands. I was really bummed he didn't at least give it a try. He was certainly exciting to watch and athletically gifted. I felt bad for him at the end with all of the bs rumors people put out.