• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Seeking ‘Mobile’ Quarterback

Avoid_Lloyd

Reaction score
My fear is Tomlin will be flexing in this draft with Colbert on his was out and be just stupid enough to give up draft picks to reach for one of those "mobile" QB's who are not franchise level and hard him over to Dr. Canadastein and set us back 5 years

Gildong Sack

Reaction score
I didn't see where Art said mobile meant they wanted a run first QB like those you mentioned or a "run scared" Manziel/Mayfield type. A Mahomes/Allen type would fit the bill (well, a reasonable approximation since franchise guys don't just drop in your lap every year). Heck, a Burrows type would do. There's plenty of ways for a QB to show mobility; not just running. As someone mentioned, in his younger years, Ben was mobile enough without racking up huge amounts of rushing attempts/yards.
Yes. That type helps when your O line is not the best and your receivers have a hard time getting open. AB, Santonio Holmes, Ward, etc. all thrived when Ben would break a play open with his scrambling. I like Wilson, but he comes with a hefty price tag.

You also have to move well to be able to fully exploit Canada's offense.

ghiaz

Reaction score
Mobile but hopefully like Allen, Mahomes (who is actually slow), etc. and NOT like Lamar. We need a QB who can run, if needed, and not a RB who can throw if needed.
Exactly my thoughts as well. Athletes like LJ are always going to subconscienciously want to take off and run when the first read isn't there. A qb that can read a defence and go through the progressions before taking off. First things first though. Fix the o-line. Without an o-line I don't think it will matter who we have back there.

Reactions: wig

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
No, he’d still have to throw the ball and that’s still the priority for QBs. Kordell’s QB rating was never better than 83. He should’ve played a different position.
I disagree the offenses were run differently and the modern offenses would have suited his throwing style much better than back then.

carbonsteel

Reaction score
A great - or just good - OL helps the draft investment you already made in a top level RB.

It will help attract a possible veteran QB to your team. Will a veteran QB really want to come to this team and get his *** kicked every week by this awful OL ? How do you sell this OL to a prospective free agent QB that you are trying to convince to come here ?

Draft the best OL available
Draft best DL available
Draft the best possible OL that can play 2 positions if possible.
Later round - try for Brennan Armstrong - Virginia
Sign a free agent Center for top level money .
If Tuitt doesn't return - check out the free agent market
Do the best we can with our 2 current QB's (Rudolf and Haskins)
Sign a veteran free agent QB - OK mobile if that is a requirement
NEXT year - go after a top level free agent QB or trade up for QB in draft
- we wont get to CJ Stroud or Bryce Young --- I say go after Jake Haener of Fresno State

SojournerSteel

Reaction score
Sorry, but Kordell as a QB would not thrive in any era. He could not hit the broad side of a barn with a football from 10' away. At some point a QB has to be able to make the necessary throws, Kordell NEVER could.
I was listening to a Monday night game on the radio in the late 90s and it got so bad the announcer blurts out “Kordell Stewart low and away again for ball four!”

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Ill say this over and over… there arectwo types of mobile qbs… pass first and run first

Watson or mahomes are pass first

Lamar Jackson or cam newton are run first guys

You see tge first extend plays and really only run when it’s absolutely the only option or if they are called on to run in the play design…. Tgey are dangerous in the open field, but that isn’t their intention

Run first guys bolt at the first sign of trouble… they often don’t get two reads in before they are looking to scamper

They have career trajectories like RBs… you are lucky to get 8 good season s out of them

The first type wins super bowls… the second have a couple years of gaudy stats then fade into oblivion

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
A great - or just good - OL helps the draft investment you already made in a top level RB.

It will help attract a possible veteran QB to your team. Will a veteran QB really want to come to this team and get his *** kicked every week by this awful OL ? How do you sell this OL to a prospective free agent QB that you are trying to convince to come here ?

Draft the best OL available
Draft best DL available
Draft the best possible OL that can play 2 positions if possible.
Later round - try for Brennan Armstrong - Virginia
Sign a free agent Center for top level money .
If Tuitt doesn't return - check out the free agent market
Do the best we can with our 2 current QB's (Rudolf and Haskins)
Sign a veteran free agent QB - OK mobile if that is a requirement
NEXT year - go after a top level free agent QB or trade up for QB in draft
- we wont get to CJ Stroud or Bryce Young --- I say go after Jake Haener of Fresno State
or Bo Nix

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
Burrow, Mahomes, Herbert and Allen are the prototype QBs I'd look for. Good arms with mobile legs. They are not a dime a dozen, but would be a starting point.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Super Bowl features 2 pocket passers.
As was Brady and both Mannings in the past and Jimmy G. in the conference championship. You can include Matt Ryan who has made a Super Bowl recently. It is one of the things that intrigued me about Carson Strong. Prototypical size, big arm, good accuracy. The concern is he is apparently pretty bad when under pressure.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I don’t think I can live through another Kordell like QB. QB has to be smart, quick decision maker, and accurate. Kordell was none of those, he killed more worms than I care to remember.
In fairness, he was coached to do that. Better to throw low and risk an incompletion than throw high and hard and give up lots of interceptions to deep safeties.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry, but Kordell as a QB would not thrive in any era. He could not hit the broad side of a barn with a football from 10' away.
That's just not true. In fact, one year Kordell set the competion % record for the Steelers, (later broken by Roethlisberger.)

Kordell couldn't read a defense. He could throw the ball. He could even throw accurately. He just threw it about 100 miles an hour and he couldn't read a defense to save his soul. Because of his inability to read a defense an his tendency to throw the ball WAY too hard, he was coached to throw low to reduce the likelihood of interceptions. Thus began the "worm burner" years. Yancy Thigpen and later Hines Ward were AWESOME for Kordell because they really gave him a wide catch-zone. Both were cat-quick in reacting to Stewart's late, or early throws as well as his "low balls". The skills Hines developed catching Stewart's passes later really helped him with Ben as he understood how to keep working and find a spot as Ben would prolong plays well beyond the drawn up plan.

Actually, one of Stewart's strengths was his accurate deep ball. Unfortunately, he just wasn't ultimately good enough to read defenses quickly to take advantage that often. He didn't react quickly enough to safety movement to take advantage of deep throws as often as he might have.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
That's just not true. In fact, one year Kordell set the competion % record for the Steelers, (later broken by Roethlisberger.)

Kordell couldn't read a defense. He could throw the ball. He could even throw accurately. He just threw it about 100 miles an hour and he couldn't read a defense to save his soul. Because of his inability to read a defense an his tendency to throw the ball WAY too hard, he was coached to throw low to reduce the likelihood of interceptions. Thus began the "worm burner" years. Yancy Thigpen and later Hines Ward were AWESOME for Kordell because they really gave him a wide catch-zone. Both were cat-quick in reacting to Stewart's late, or early throws as well as his "low balls". The skills Hines developed catching Stewart's passes later really helped him with Ben as he understood how to keep working and find a spot as Ben would prolong plays well beyond the drawn up plan.

Actually, one of Stewart's strengths was his accurate deep ball. Unfortunately, he just wasn't ultimately good enough to read defenses quickly to take advantage that often. He didn't react quickly enough to safety movement to take advantage of deep throws as often as he might have.
Very spot on breakdown.🙌

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
Kordell would thrive in today's NFL. His skill set wasn't right for the times and offenses.
Nope. At end of day still have to be able to throw consistently.

The only thing he’d benefit from was the rules that made it easier to pass.

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score

I totally disagree with Kordell’s accuracy remark.

He could throw it to a “spot” but not where a WR could make plays with the ball.

The offense was scaled back so much in 2001 it limited what they could do when approaching red zone (see the 1st Baltimore game that year.). The 2001 Steelers easily could have finished 15-1, that’s how stacked they were. Yet couldn’t get past the easily defendable Kordell in AFCCG.

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
Kordell would thrive in today's NFL. His skill set wasn't right for the times and offenses.
Eh. He'd be as good now as he was, then. He'd have a season every 3 or 4 where he might dazzle, but overall, a poor man's lamar jackson

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
Jimmy G. would be a huge mistake. He just is not very good and he will cost us at least a No. 1 pick (plus other picks) and a good bit of cap space. We would get someone not much better than Rudolph and it will cripple the team from improving the team in the draft and free agency. This might be one of the dumbest trades they could make.

Now, if they would take a 3rd round pick for him, then we might have something.
To say that Jimmy G is "just not very good" is absurd. He might not be the most clutch qb, and tends to suffer injury from time to time, but he's certainly better than "just not very good"

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
To say that Jimmy G is "just not very good" is absurd. He might not be the most clutch qb, and tends to suffer injury from time to time, but he's certainly better than "just not very good"
Exactly. I think the want is another franchise but we don't always get what we want. So you go for the BPA roster upgrade in free agency. And Jimmy might be the crack corn and I don't care.