• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Seeking ‘Mobile’ Quarterback

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
With Tomlin's words and now Rooney's, it's pretty obvious they now don't think Rudolph or Haskins can be their QB of the future. And, with Najee's comments, it almost seems as if the players realize that as well. But, Najee wanting Jimmy G. almost made me puke. He would cost a good bit to get as I believe he is under contract, have a big cap hit and he is an average QB, at best. I'd take my chances with Trubisky or someone in the draft before I spend top draft picks and cap hits. I also read recently that they want 2 or 3 1st round picks and multiple second-round picks for Rodgers. That is laughable for a guy who may only play another couple years.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Who is Marriott???
Mariota's ******* half brother who spends a lot of time in hotels on the beach. He enjoys long walks on said beaches, light reading, and macrame.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Even before watching that najee segment I was gonna write here that colbert will try to trade for Jimmy Garropolo, you can bet your bbq grill

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Jimmy G. would be a huge mistake. He just is not very good and he will cost us at least a No. 1 pick (plus other picks) and a good bit of cap space. We would get someone not much better than Rudolph and it will cripple the team from improving the team in the draft and free agency. This might be one of the dumbest trades they could make.

Now, if they would take a 3rd round pick for him, then we might have something.

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
I'm not impressed with Jimmy G. Granted, he's in the NFCCG, but he makes too much money and rather mediocre to be paying him that much money. Bring in Trubisky! Cost, upside, age and sat behind Allen are all positives I'd want as the stop gap until they attempt to find Ben 2.0. What if he panned out so well that he was the man?

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
The only way I'd like Jimmy G here is as tdx said, a 3rd rounder would be good value and only if he comes with a new contract previoulsy negotiated, lowering his salary a few notches

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd say there are at least a half a dozen established QB's that could be pried from their teams: Kirk Cousins, Derek Carr, Ryan Tannehill, Russell Wilson, Jimmy Garropolo, Jameis Winston. In my view, none of these players are *locked-in* on their teams heading into next year, for various reasons. All of these QBs are light years ahead of Mason/Haskins. Same goes for any rookie available in the draft.

If the right player becomes available, I wouldn't doubt the Steelers brass making an aggressive move. If they're willing to give up a 1st round pick for a safety(!), what won't they do to secure a new QB to build around for at least a few years? I'd say sky is the limit, including packaging some established players in a deal. I think they're open to cathartic change at this point, with Ben gone.

Whoever started the rumor six months ago that Tomlin is not looking to start over with a rookie QB was spot on, in my view. Tomlin sees the landscape in the NFL. Sees how ****** QB's hold back a franchise. My money says Rooney agrees with him, and they cook up a deal for an established QB.
the three highlighted are likely not to make their current team's roster next season due to salary

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Jimmy G. is a solid QB but would be a sitting duck behind this offensive line. He’d also be going from Shanahan’s offense to Matt Canada’s. One of the best offensive minds in the league to a guy who should be coaching college.

Rooney, Tomlin, Najee, Diontae, and Heyward all haven’t given an endorsement to Rudolph. It took a reporter to ask about Mason for DJ to give him props. I’d be very surprised if they didn’t add someone this offseason.

Did anyone watch the interview with Art when he had to stretch to find something positive to say about Mason?

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
I hope they don't knee jerk and reach for a QB, whether through a trade, free agency or the draft.

If they go with what they have in Rudolph and Haskins, can anyone say that the end of the season next year will be
anymore disappointing than the last 10 have been?

steelhurt

Reaction score
Listening to Arty Jr speak today, made me think this is possibly the direction. I would take either over Rudy or Haskins. Might not be overpriced as far as cap hits are concerned and wouldn’t have to give up valuable draft capital. I am intrigued more by Trubisky with this offense. Plus that last name saunds like he’s from Dormont
Shane, you and I are on the same page with Trubisky. We don’t have to trade for him, would think he won’t be too expensive certainly nowhere even near what the top guys are making. And I think he fits Canada’s offense. I don’t think either Rudy or Haskins can be anywhere near a starter in this league. Washington gave up on this guy in his second season after drafting him in the first. And not one team was interested in him except Tomlin.
Rudy we know what we have. He might be ok for a spot start here and there but he’s no regular starter.

Slovan Sam

Reaction score
It looks like our Coach convinced Rooney that this "plan" of his is a good one.

Art Rooney II Excited To See Mason Rudolph, Dwayne Haskins Develop and Compete for Starting QB Role This Offseason

https://Invalid Link - Check SN Hom...-compete-for-starting-qb-role-this-offseason/

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Picking up Haskins was a no brainer, no risk option. If he doesn’t pan out, Tomlin get more nut hugging from the talking heads fro giving the poor kid another shot. If he turns it all around and goes on to be even a 10-15 QB, then Tomlin looks like the genius the media wants to portray him to be.

If they are going to sign a FA QB, I am in the Tribinsky camp. This still allows more than enough money to address 2-3 positions hard. It also doesn’t use up the limited Draft capital they have.

I would still shy away from any of the so called multiple threat QB’s being pimped by everyone. A true pocket QB, who can read a D, with a bit of wiggle is always going to be the best option long term. Running Backs that can throw are mixed up in way too many plays with the chance of getting seriously hurt.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Trubisky isn't going back to Buffalo even though they want him. He wants an opportunity to start. He would get that here. It really shouldn't be difficult to sign him unless he just really doesn't want to come here. I just hope we don't do something stupid and handicap this team for the next 5 plus years.

Troglodyte

Reaction score
Kordell would thrive in today's NFL. His skill set wasn't right for the times and offenses.
No, he’d still have to throw the ball and that’s still the priority for QBs. Kordell’s QB rating was never better than 83. He should’ve played a different position.

JP1977

Reaction score
Kordell couldn't read defenses or anticipate the receivers getting open. That doesn't translate well in today's NFL either.

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
No, he’d still have to throw the ball and that’s still the priority for QBs. Kordell’s QB rating was never better than 83. He should’ve played a different position.
What made him special was the triple treat from the WR position. He could have been a HOF WR, but he didn’t want that.

titus

Contributor
Reaction score
Yes he was a weapon in the open. No he wasn't a WR like Korky, but he was a hell of a QB with a great arm and touch. That dude gave DCs nightmares, Korky after his confidence fell off was not much of a passing threat, but I hear you as far as Kordell being quicker.

Steve Young was fast. His 30 time was .03 seconds slower than Kordell's. He could throw on the run, something Kordell could not do.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
That hasn't stopped Lamar. Kordell's doppleganger. Well except Kordell could play WR too. He was just an all around fine slash ....type player.😁

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Steve Young was fast. His 30 time was .03 seconds slower than Kordell's. He could throw on the run, something Kordell could not do.
iirc, it took Young a few years to develop as more than a running QB. He wasn't "Steve Young" in Tampa. That time spent sitting behind Montana in SF helped him to learn how to put his running skills together with his developing skills as an NFL passer.

The problem today isn't that teams are making a QBs ability to gain yardage on designed runs and broken plays a priority. The problem is that they are making it THE priority and forgetting that effective mobility also entails the ability to move up in a collapsing pocket and/or roll out to extend a designed PASSING play. Teams lately have also been more willing to overlook a QBs deficiencies as a passer as long as he can run/escape ... The best of these young, mobile QBs can run, escape, extend a play .... AND pass the ball with accuracy (Mahommes, Murray, Burrow, Allen, Herbert). The worse are neither great runners, nor great passers (Wilson, Mayfield, etc.).

Turd Ferguson

Reaction score
Trubisky isn't going back to Buffalo even though they want him. He wants an opportunity to start. He would get that here. It really shouldn't be difficult to sign him unless he just really doesn't want to come here. I just hope we don't do something stupid and handicap this team for the next 5 plus years.
This 100 times this....Trubisky had the Bears in the playoffs 2 of the 4 years he was there. The friggin' Bears! He was 6-3 as a starter in his last season in Chicago and pulled. Was a 65% passer with the Bears and ran for over 1,000 yards in those 4 seasons with 10 TDs. The Bears messed up bringing in Foles which created issues.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
This 100 times this....Trubisky had the Bears in the playoffs 2 of the 4 years he was there. The friggin' Bears! He was 6-3 as a starter in his last season in Chicago and pulled. Was a 65% passer with the Bears and ran for over 1,000 yards in those 4 seasons with 10 TDs. The Bears messed up bringing in Foles which created issues.
Todd Haley had good things to say about Trubisky. https://www.post-gazette.com/sports...mlin-joe-starkey-mailbag/stories/202201250084

“Mitch Trubisky … it’s so important to put these guys in a position to succeed, and I don’t know that he was given that in Chicago,” Haley said. “He was a young quarterback to begin with, hadn’t played a lot (one year as a starter at North Carolina), but his size, his athletic ability, his ability to throw the football. You need to have a characteristic that allows you to survive while you learn to be a real quarterback. What I saw in the preseason with the Bills, I was pretty impressed. I mean, he looked like a different guy.”

6Rings

Reaction score
Mobile means elude the pass rush and buy time. It does not mean Michael Vick style