• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers sign Adam Podlesh, Punter.

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
He is going to compete with Brad Wing for the punting job.

Ironcitysteelers

What do I put here? **** it.
Contributor
Reaction score
In any other year this would have been our big off season signing. Lol

keslerclan

Reaction score
IMO, Podlesh will be the more 'consistent' punter. His average has gone down the last couple of years while his placement inside the 20 has gone up. I wish 'hang time' was available. Wing will be more dynamic and knock the air out of the ball but nobody will know where it is or where it might land. :confused:

F

Franco

Wing has a great leg it would be great if he could double as our kick off man as suisham was the worst in the league at touchbacks

F

Franco

Keslerclan, only 190 of his 467 career punts were returned for only 5.9 yards per return,signifying great hang time

Stoney

Reaction score
This changes our whole draft strategy!!!

Vindrow

Sniffer of the glue
Contributor
Reaction score
Damn, there goes my strategy of taking a punter in the first round and really throwing a wrench in things.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
I wonder who can destroy a bathroom quicker

deljzc

Reaction score
We finally get the punter we wanted all along in 2007.

Not only was Jacksonville incredibly stupid for drafting a punter in the 4th round that year (Podlesh) but then we panicked and TRADED UP to get a punter in Sepulveda.

What a beautiful exhibition of stellar GM work that was.

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score

Not only was Jacksonville incredibly stupid for drafting a punter in the 4th round that year (Podlesh) but then we panicked and TRADED UP to get a punter in Sepulveda.

Ever stop and think maybe is just not all its cracked up to be.? Mabye they aren't so smart... Maybe TMC is the real deal,,, Donahoe had the family backing..... etc..

maybe its not so scientific.. otherwise explain that QB pick last year... and Tee Martin... etc... WTF! (lol ironicly he is the wide receivers coach for USC right now)

I liken it to my experience in the army.
For 15 years I was an army reservist... doing my part.. languishing in what I thought was mediocrity.... always playing the 2nd fiddle to the active duty guys.. put down etc..

Then Iraqi freedom happens.. they need us.. We are all in taking it serious.. Grabbing it by the horns, determined not to be the ****** step brother of active duty guys...
We go to bragg for 2 months prepping equipment ,, training up etc... Seeing some stupid **** happen,, not our fault.. But ,,,, I thought once we get into theater it will allll be very different....

Guess what...? No magic happened.. Same stupid **** was being done in a theater of war as it was back home as a reservist.. Worse. stupid ****.. For example : We need armor for the hummvs.. people are getting nailed by IED's... No problem We will up armor you once you drive all the way thru Iraq and bagdad and get to balad.. In the mean time scrounge up some 1/4 inch steel and do it yourself out here in the desert... No garage,,,,, here in the sand.. ..

I don't think the FO is any smarter than some of us.. In fact they could use a guy like TMC. Im sure of it.

Trade up for Sepulveda,,, = Uparmor your vehicles after you get there.... same stupid ****.

deljzc

Reaction score
You're preaching to the choir B&G Bleeder.

NFL GM's and front offices are full of friends of friends and relatives to owners/coaches. They aren't even TRYING to tap into the best of the best or the brightest of the brightest.

The pool of talent that starts to be scouts is flawed. It's ex-jocks or ex-coaches that are underqualified for real world jobs to start with. They wallow on the road scouting players trying to re-live their glory days as either a player or coach. Anything they can do to stay relevant in sports.

That's the pool of 20-year-olds almost every GM in the NFL has come from. Now they run a billion dollar business with limited resources and an immense and growing amount of data and statistical information (and it's growing exponentially). They have to process risk/reward on issues that could and do make or break organizations for years. And we wonder why they get snookered at the negotiating table? We wonder why they make decisions that have no rhyme or reason when analyzed using cost risk/reward data? We wonder why they are self-serving, think only in the moment and don't plan 2-3-4 years down the line?

Yeah... let's hire the jock who couldn't make it as a player/coach who has an liberal arts degree in who knows what and spent 10 years on the road living motel to motel. Let's hand him the reins to a billion dollar business. Brilliant idea.

SteelerinMD

Unleashing Mediocrity Since 1/22/07
Forefather
Reaction score
Wait til the Pats cut their camp fodder punter

Silent

Reaction score

I disagree, Sepulveda was a heck of a punter in college. he had a leg and a half. We needed a punter and the way the draft works, one team drafts a position in the 2nd day and then everyone else starts looking at that position. If he had not gotten hurt, we would not be looking for a new punter.

diver

Reaction score

Hindsight is 20/20. To be fair:

When Tomlin was hired, he made a big thing about improving special teams. I am speculating here, but it seems to me one of the things that the bosses told him needed improvement was special teams, with the emphasis he put on it. I think that had something to do with the drafting of the punter in the 4th.

It isn't like they missed on some great player at that spot. I don't think any other player available at that spot would have made much difference in how things have played out sine 2007.

diver

Reaction score
You're preaching to the choir B&G Bleeder.

NFL GM's and front offices are full of friends of friends and relatives to owners/coaches. They aren't even TRYING to tap into the best of the best or the brightest of the brightest.

The pool of talent that starts to be scouts is flawed. It's ex-jocks or ex-coaches that are underqualified for real world jobs to start with. They wallow on the road scouting players trying to re-live their glory days as either a player or coach. Anything they can do to stay relevant in sports.

That's the pool of 20-year-olds almost every GM in the NFL has come from. Now they run a billion dollar business with limited resources and an immense and growing amount of data and statistical information (and it's growing exponentially). They have to process risk/reward on issues that could and do make or break organizations for years. And we wonder why they get snookered at the negotiating table? We wonder why they make decisions that have no rhyme or reason when analyzed using cost risk/reward data? We wonder why they are self-serving, think only in the moment and don't plan 2-3-4 years down the line?

Yeah... let's hire the jock who couldn't make it as a player/coach who has an liberal arts degree in who knows what and spent 10 years on the road living motel to motel. Let's hand him the reins to a billion dollar business. Brilliant idea.

Oh, cmon. The other side of that argument is that since the advent of fantasy football every hump thinks he can build a team, and since you can find highlights on anybody on youtube, everybody thinks they can evaluate talent.

I agree that on any given draft probably you or TMC could put together a better draft than the pros. I think some of that is reflected in the fact that the draft, for everybody, is really a crapshoot. You just never know. But I don't think it is anything more than that. If 5 years from now the draft you would have done is better than what the Steelers did, IMO luck played a big roll in that. Same if the steelers did better than you.

Where I take offense is where anybody, including the pros, come off as an "expert" or some kind a genius in this. I mean, if the Steeler front office were geniuses in 1974 for that draft, what the hell happened to them few years later when they drafted Greg Hawthorne, for example?

deljzc

Reaction score
Oh, cmon. The other side of that argument is that since the advent of fantasy football every hump thinks he can build a team, and since you can find highlights on anybody on youtube, everybody thinks they can evaluate talent.

I agree that on any given draft probably you or TMC could put together a better draft than the pros. I think some of that is reflected in the fact that the draft, for everybody, is really a crapshoot. You just never know. But I don't think it is anything more than that. If 5 years from now the draft you would have done is better than what the Steelers did, IMO luck played a big roll in that. Same if the steelers did better than you.

Where I take offense is where anybody, including the pros, come off as an "expert" or some kind a genius in this. I mean, if the Steeler front office were geniuses in 1974 for that draft, what the hell happened to them few years later when they drafted Greg Hawthorne, for example?

If it's luck, then why pay anyone? Why not hire a monkey to point at pictures?

The truth is there is some skill involved in player evaluation. You need good scouts. You need great scouts. But a GM does not have to be a scout. Scouts need to be scouts. GM's need to see the big picture. The forest from the trees. The whole issue of drafting a punter is not NEED, but the fact statistically punters don't mean much to special teams and winning football. Good coverage guys matter more. Having a talented back-end of your roster matters more.

These are the type of sabermetric issues that are going to be invading NFL football over the next decade. Information that is going to change the way we VALUE talent, not EVALUATE talent. Scouts evaluate talent. That is a great skill. GM's assign VALUE to talent. And put VALUE into the equation of risk/reward that is inherent to the draft process and the understanding each round, scouts get it wrong a certain percentage of time. Failure in the draft IS part of the equation that must be accounted for by good GM's. Each move must have a bunch of Plan B's and what if's associated with the decisions.

I mean, do you think Colbert did any what if discussions with the coaching staff about a Larry Foote injury? Jesus, our entire defensive scheme was DESTROYED for 5 weeks when he went down with his injury. It took the bye week to install any semblance of a good NFL defense that revolved around getting the woefully incompetent backups to Foote off the field (by playing much more nickle and dime defenses).

I'm sorry, you don't create a roster where one injury to a mediocre ILB who wear's the green dot can totally sidetrack your season. That's just one example of bad GM work that has NOTHING to do with scouting. Drafting a punter is another example of bad GM work that has nothing to do with scouting. In an era where every resource is precious (picks, salary cap space, cash), wasting two picks on a punter is as frivolous a move as I've seen any team in the league make over the past 10 years. Not to mention it was on one with a history of knee issues. Again nothing to do with scouting Sepulveda. He was a good punter (when healthy). Just that his ability really does nothing substantial in helping us win/lose football games (despite what some will tell you, covering punts to try and gain 2 yards in net difference doesn't mean jack ****).

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
If it's luck, then why pay anyone? Why not hire a monkey to point at pictures?).

Would this mean, that i might be back in business, with my fleet of one armed **** flinging monkeys?

Great post Deljzc, and thank you. I made a ton of monkey comments about the Bruce, in the past. Some here should remember and hopefully laugh :)

Salute the nation

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Ever stop and think maybe is just not all its cracked up to be.? Mabye they aren't so smart... Maybe TMC is the real deal,,, Donahoe had the family backing..... etc..

maybe its not so scientific.. otherwise explain that QB pick last year... and Tee Martin... etc... WTF! (lol ironicly he is the wide receivers coach for USC right now)

I liken it to my experience in the army.
For 15 years I was an army reservist... doing my part.. languishing in what I thought was mediocrity.... always playing the 2nd fiddle to the active duty guys.. put down etc..

Then Iraqi freedom happens.. they need us.. We are all in taking it serious.. Grabbing it by the horns, determined not to be the ****** step brother of active duty guys...
We go to bragg for 2 months prepping equipment ,, training up etc... Seeing some stupid **** happen,, not our fault.. But ,,,, I thought once we get into theater it will allll be very different....

Guess what...? No magic happened.. Same stupid **** was being done in a theater of war as it was back home as a reservist.. Worse. stupid ****.. For example : We need armor for the hummvs.. people are getting nailed by IED's... No problem We will up armor you once you drive all the way thru Iraq and bagdad and get to balad.. In the mean time scrounge up some 1/4 inch steel and do it yourself out here in the desert... No garage,,,,, here in the sand.. ..

I don't think the FO is any smarter than some of us.. In fact they could use a guy like TMC. Im sure of it.

Trade up for Sepulveda,,, = Uparmor your vehicles after you get there.... same stupid ****.
One of the truest posts I've read here. People have to remember that this is a fraternity. Most of it is given not earned in terms of FO gigs. Most are second, third generation guys. Some get lucky early on and look genius. Its a guessing game simple as that. I was at a coaches conference two weeks ago. Some CFL guys and the Oline coach of the Seattle Seahawks. While I'm not going to sit here and pretend that I in anyway have their experience, that all it really is. They aren't genius. Just experienced.

diver

Reaction score
If it's luck, then why pay anyone? Why not hire a monkey to point at pictures?

The truth is there is some skill involved in player evaluation. You need good scouts. You need great scouts. But a GM does not have to be a scout. Scouts need to be scouts. GM's need to see the big picture. The forest from the trees. The whole issue of drafting a punter is not NEED, but the fact statistically punters don't mean much to special teams and winning football. Good coverage guys matter more. Having a talented back-end of your roster matters more.

These are the type of sabermetric issues that are going to be invading NFL football over the next decade. Information that is going to change the way we VALUE talent, not EVALUATE talent. Scouts evaluate talent. That is a great skill. GM's assign VALUE to talent. And put VALUE into the equation of risk/reward that is inherent to the draft process and the understanding each round, scouts get it wrong a certain percentage of time. Failure in the draft IS part of the equation that must be accounted for by good GM's. Each move must have a bunch of Plan B's and what if's associated with the decisions.

I mean, do you think Colbert did any what if discussions with the coaching staff about a Larry Foote injury? Jesus, our entire defensive scheme was DESTROYED for 5 weeks when he went down with his injury. It took the bye week to install any semblance of a good NFL defense that revolved around getting the woefully incompetent backups to Foote off the field (by playing much more nickle and dime defenses).

I'm sorry, you don't create a roster where one injury to a mediocre ILB who wear's the green dot can totally sidetrack your season. That's just one example of bad GM work that has NOTHING to do with scouting. Drafting a punter is another example of bad GM work that has nothing to do with scouting. In an era where every resource is precious (picks, salary cap space, cash), wasting two picks on a punter is as frivolous a move as I've seen any team in the league make over the past 10 years. Not to mention it was on one with a history of knee issues. Again nothing to do with scouting Sepulveda. He was a good punter (when healthy). Just that his ability really does nothing substantial in helping us win/lose football games (despite what some will tell you, covering punts to try and gain 2 yards in net difference doesn't mean jack ****).

You certainly need guys who understand talent. I still will always believe that luck plays a big role, though. You just never know, even with all the preparation, background and all that how a guy will react in the NFL.

I am too old school. If the above (sabermetrics) is what football is becoming, maybe it is time for me to just go fishing.