• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Sign LB Jamir Jones to One-Year Contract

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Wednesday, the Pittsburgh Steelers signed linebacker, Jamir Jones to a one-year deal per Steelers.com. Jones is the younger brother of Steelers offensive tackle, Jarron Jones.

We have signed LB Jamir Jones. @BordasLaw https://t.co/krafGrss29

— Pittsburgh Steelers (@steelers) April 7, 2021

Jones appeared in 55 games while at Notre Dame before going undrafted in 2020. He was signed as a rookie free agent by the Houston Texans until he was eventually waived. He’s played both the linebacker and defensive end positions.

More to come.

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
More camp bodies. Sad thing is some of these camp bodies are going to make the team and possibly start this year.

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
heard some somee consideration that avery might come back anyone el;se her this twiiter or bleacher?

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
heard some somee consideration that avery might come back anyone el;se her this twiiter or bleacher?

Avery would be a starter / depth type signing and welcomed at this point. In the words of captain Picard.... Make it so

Salute the nation

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
More camp bodies. Sad thing is some of these camp bodies are going to make the team and possibly start this year.
which may not be a bad thing

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I want you guys to think about this. They recently signed a Jarvis and recently signed a Jones. Those two prospects are doomed.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
I want you guys to think about this. They recently signed a Jarvis and recently signed a Jones. Those two prospects are doomed.
If they sign a Jamain and a Stephens, then they're all screwed.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
which may not be a bad thing
That's a big maybe. If they are truly good enough to start, then we found some diamonds. If we are starting them out of desperation and they suck, we are in trouble.

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
I always like these signings, the ever-elusive, potential diamond-in-the-rough prospects. Just tend to root for these camp nobodys. I like to remind myself someone on Colbert's staff, some scout or some coach saw enough in a guy to offer him a contract. That gets the kid's foot in the door, an opportunity to fight for a spot on the team. And I like that aspect about following the Steelers. To see if some of these unheralded guys can show up and impress in OTA's, camp and pre-season and earn a job with us.

Anyway, here's some info on Jamir Jones, who's the younger brother of OT Jamal Jones. So that's yet another set of brothers on the Steelers. And we know Tomlin loves ND players, so no shock he was on their radar.

The kid didn't play much till late in his college career, so still has a lot of thread on the tires. Classic case of untapped potential. Looking forward to what this kid shows in camp.

A high motor and skillful athleticism are only two parts of the puzzle when it comes to Jamir Jones. His ability to see the big picture and his willingness to do the little things to make not only himself but the team better are additional traits that will make him an excellent value selection on day three of the NFL Draft.

This year’s Notre Dame draft class is one of the best in recent memory — so talented that there are three former Irish EDGE rushers going in the 2020 NFL Draft. Today’s breakdown will focus on Jamir Jones.

The 6-foot-3, 255 lb defensive end finished his Notre Dame career with 38 total tackles (22 solo), 26 TFL’s, 13 sacks, two forced fumbles, and one fumble recovery. Jones split time with the likes of Julian Okwara, Khalid Kareem, and Daelin Hayes over the last few years at the defensive end position for Notre Dame. Jones stepped up big time in the absence of Julian Okwara down the stretch for the Irish. Jones sets the edge well, he rushes the passer with tenacity, he has a high motor, and he has great speed for an EDGE rusher clocking a 4.7 40-yard dash during his pro day in early April. In addition to being athletic and quick, Jamir is also physical at the point of attack and a hard hitter.

One thing that will help Jones at the next level is his ability to play on special teams. During his freshman year at Notre Dame, he finished with eight tackles on kickoffs alone, which is quite impressive for someone just getting to the college level. Jones also spoke to the importance of playing on special teams on our Irish On Tap podcast. He understood that playing on special teams was his avenue to get more opportunities after arriving at Notre Dame, and for any NFL Rookie, special teams reps will do the same. Jones started on those very special teams units and was able to make plays in the defensive starting lineup when his number was called. Jones also understands what type of role special teams will play for him to make that final NFL roster.

In addition to his ability to play on special teams, he possesses the right frame, athleticism, and ability to play outside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme despite playing in a 4-3 system at Notre Dame. In my opinion, Jones is similar to a Swiss army knife — he works in a 4-3 front, a 3-4 front, and he can and will help out on special teams. Jones is a player that “gets it” — he is selfless and will do anything to help the team win. If that includes running down on kickoff, Jones is your guy.

A high motor and skillful athleticism are only two parts of the puzzle when it comes to Jamir Jones. His ability to see the big picture and his willingness to do the little things to make not only himself but the team better are additional traits that will make him an excellent value selection on day three of the NFL Draft.Jones played in 37 games during his time at Notre Dame and saw a bulk of his production in the last two seasons. He finished both the 2018 and 2019 seasons with 23 solo tackles and at least ten TFL’s. Jones also saw an improvement in tackles, TFL’s and sacks in each of the three seasons he played at Notre Dame. I vocalized this point during the Irish On Tap interview with Jamir Jones, and I will reiterate it again: the NFL Draft is a “what have you done for me lately” or “who is the hot hand” type of draft. Jones had a phenomenal senior season, he fits the frame, he possesses the speed and athleticism to play at the next level, and he notably had ZERO injuries during his time at Notre Dame. Most importantly, Jones hones the competitive mindset to come in and take his spot on that final NFL roster, wherever it may be. Look for Jamir Jones to hear his name called on day three of the 2020 NFL Draft, beginning the next chapter in his football career.

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like Covid affected his draft prospects last year. Good to see the Steelers give the kid a shot.

Last edited:

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score

Things did not go as planned this past season at Notre Dame for former Irish defensive end Jamir Jones. The plan was for Jones to play the maximum four games allowed for him to preserve his eligibility status for the 2020 season. He would be used in a reserve role and come back in 2020 to hopefully have a season that would make him a target for NFL teams in the 2021 NFL Draft.

However, after injuries decimated the Notre Dame defensive line last season, Jones was pressed into action late in the year and as a result, surpassed the four-game limit, which left him ineligible to return to South Bend in 2020.

As a result, Jamir Jones would enter his name in the 2020 NFL Draft. Due to the abbreviated season, Jones was omitted from the invite list to the NFL Combine. He had hoped to showcase his talents in front of NFL scouts and executives during Notre Dame’s Pro Day but due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Pro Day event was canceled. Since he was unable to participate in either event, NFL teams were forced to go off of the limited game film they had on Jones from his time with the Irish.

It is not surprising that Jamir Jones was not drafted in what was a historically deep NFL Draft. The fact that Jones went undrafted should not be seen as an indictment of his abilities, as he certainly has the skill set to be an asset on an NFL roster.

Jones was seen as a highly athletic player when he was recruited to play football at Notre Dame, as he starred not only on the gridiron at the Aquinas Institute in Rochester, New York but was also a star lacrosse player for them as well.

The older brother of Jamir Jones, Jarron Jones (a former Notre Dame football player as well), was recently signed by the Pittsburgh Steelers following an abbreviated season in the XFL, where he was a first-round draft pick of the New York Guardians. There is clearly a strong football pedigree in the Jones family.

Given the athletic prowess that Jamir Jones brings to the Houston Texans, it would not be surprising to see him make the 53-man roster for the team. This is especially true given the track record that Jones had as an excellent special teams contributor with Notre Dame. It is likely that Jones would be featured as a special teams contributor with the Texans while they work to further develop his skill set as a defensive lineman.

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
And my deep dive into Jamir Jones ends with this.... the kid is a phenomenal athlete, playing football, basketball & lacrosse. How cool is that?

Jamir Jones will go down in Section V history as one of the greatest 3 sport athletes to ever play ball, the kid is phenomenal. His track record speaks for its self, and University of Notre Dame has already lock in the 6'5 240lb Jones. Aquinas Institute, located in Rochester, New York has enjoyed 4 years of having one of the most humble yet genetically gifted athletes to ever do it! The kid has accolades for days, his credentials speak for themselves. Jamir is a coaches dream, he has been raised by a great family who are respected throughout their entire community. Not to mention the fact that Jamir has a older brother named Jarron who graduated from Notre Dame this spring and will be playing in his final season for the fighting Irish this upcoming fall. This will probably be the first time in the History of Section V football where you have two brother's awarded full athletic scholarships to the same university. In fact this is History in the making, what parent wouldn't be proud to have 2 kids that will be playing ball at a top D1 university? Recently Jamir Jones was awarded the Triple Sport Athlete of the Year by Aquinas Institute but that hardware will be added to a plethora of accomplishments Mr Jones has earned while attending AQ.

Jones accomplishments also included
-Committed to play at Notre Dame
-Urban League Black Scholar
-Semper Fi All American
-2 time sectional and state champion.
-2 time first team AGR
-1st team All State Football
-NYS Western Region and State Championship
-Defensive player of the Game, State Championship
-Productive 2 way player tallied 98 tackles, 23 tackles for a loss, 7 sacks and 1 interception.
-43 receptions for 822 yards and 9 touchdowns
-Also plays Varsity basketball, winning a sectional and State Title
- Triathlete, playing Lacrosse, football and Basketball

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
The size and being undrafted will give Debo vibes to a lot of fans

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
For a second I thought it read the Steelers sign Jarvis Jones.

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
The size and being undrafted will give Debo vibes to a lot of fans

The UDFA thing may, but this kid is totally different body type than Deebo, he's been listed anywhere from 6-3 to 6-5.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
read somewhere Jones is6'3", had in my mind JH was 6'2", I stand corrected
The UDFA thing may, but this kid is totally different body type than Deebo, he's been listed anywhere from 6-3 to 6-5.

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
read somewhere Jones is6'3", had in my mind JH was 6'2", I stand corrected

Right, but isn't Deebo like 5-7 or 5-8?

Just kidding, dog. :ROFLMAO:

1618178010679.png