• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers sign Patrick Peterson

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Everyone was bitchin earlier we did nothing so far. We get an 8 time pro bowler and ya’ll still bitchin
I would much rater get a guy that BECOMES an 8x Pro Bowler, than a guy that has done it PRIOR to arrival.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
I'm OK with letting Sutton leave. He's solid but not great, not irreplaceable. Peterson is cheaper. They need another body at CB before the draft.
This is how i feel Cam was very solid, but not spectacular. I think the Peterson move was at least a lateral move and cheaper. We have not had much luck drafting CBs and they are expensive to sign via FA. Hopefully the new draft guys have better luck. I think we will be looking at CB or OT @ 17

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
This is how i feel Cam was very solid, but not spectacular. I think the Peterson move was at least a lateral move and cheaper. We have not had much luck drafting CBs and they are expensive to sign via FA. Hopefully the new draft guys have better luck. I think we will be looking at CB or OT @ 17

There are two things that concern me

1) Age difference, but to combat that the Steelers only signed him 2 yrs. I assume the 2nd year is very “cut-able”

2). The last part of your post, it does force us into a CB draft NEED before BPA situation that might cancel the LT pick.

Salute the nation

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Stay with me…

I responded with my comment because the statement was ‘the season is over if we lose our starting QB’…

Does this now make sense to you???

Just in case it doesn’t—when Ben went down with the elbow injury. The season wasn’t lost.
In regards to us not having the all important "non-losing season". Yes you are correct. The season was NOT over.

In regards to us winning the SB. You would be incorrect. Our season was definitely over.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I still think they will look at CB and OT with the first two picks - unless, of course, someone on the DL or ILB just falls in their lap that they love.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Watch his highlights that were provided…
I did watch the highlights. He is still a good zone defender. But I definitely wouldn't play him in much man anymore. And if you do you better have safety help over top. I would say he is insurance policy like Mark Barron was a few years ago. We likely target a CB early in the draft and this signing provides a bridge for them so we aren't forced to start someone who isn't ready to play. I do wonder if this might be the end for Witherspoon though. If the Steelers draft a CB at 17 or 32 and with Peterson, Wallace, and lets say we bring back James Pierre. Witherspoon would be the odd man out unless he has a great camp.

Troglodyte

Reaction score
The thing is that we are also not as high on their current CBs as I think they are… yeah we feel like they need that shutdown corner, but i think they think Witherspoon is going to be that guy if healthy.. he has been inconsistent in his career to date, but has some high profile shutdown games… people thought that he got benched for performance but it turned out he had a hamstring Injury that hampered him almost all season…

so they simply might ignore the position in the draft altogether… because in their head they are better than we think they are. I think if they make any substantial offer to James Pierre then you should not expect a High target in the draft this year…
Unless they sign at least one more CB beside Pierre, I highly doubt they ignore the position in the draft. None of the other Steelers CBs on the current roster are under contract past 2023.

steelcan58

Reaction score
Haven't had much luck drafting CBs? We haven't tried. We've drafted one CB in the first round in the last 25 years. And yes - he wasn't very good.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
Haven't had much luck drafting CBs? We haven't tried. We've drafted one CB in the first round in the last 25 years. And yes - he wasn't very good.
We have had 2nd and 3rd round guys not work out. Golson never saw the field, Lane has not showed much. We have been able to find later gems at other positions, but at DB we are lucky to even find a serviceable backup.

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
We have had 2nd and 3rd round guys not work out. Golson never saw the field, Lane has not showed much. We have been able to find later gems at other positions, but at DB we are lucky to even find a serviceable backup.
Exactly---that also has fueled the unnecessary groaning about losing Sutton.... because we finally drafted an "serviceable" defensive back.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Unless they sign at least one more CB beside Pierre, I highly doubt they ignore the position in the draft. None of the other Steelers CBs on the current roster are under contract past 2023.
If tgey used a seventh round pick they would be in the exact same position as the Ilbs are this year😂😂maybe that is their new plan.. perpetual overhauls

Avoid_Lloyd

Reaction score
Stay with me…

I responded with my comment because the statement was ‘the season is over if we lose our starting QB’…

Does this now make sense to you???

Just in case it doesn’t—when Ben went down with the elbow injury. The season wasn’t lost.

I'm not trying to be a tool, I respect you, but when you put a Trubisky or someone of his caliber in due to a QB1 going down long term your chances of deep run in the playoffs are over. Thus what should be your primary/ultimate goal is no longer attainable, that's what I mean by season over.

Yes the Rats did it with Dilfer who is probably about Trubiskys level but that was an all time great defense and is an outlier

This team used to be about trying to win super bowls not just being in the hunt for a playoff spot to then get smacked in the first round of the playoffs.

Were they a legitimate contender once Ben went down to elbow surgery?

There is no need to spend 8 million on a guy who can't win a ring ie Trubisky.

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
Hoping that Peterson can be as serviceable as Sutton has been at least for a season or 2, and the move may not end up screwing up the draft process as much as some think.

However, in many of the mocks I'm seeing now, OT's are flying off the board before 17, and 2 of the 4 QB's that were supposed to be gone are still there.

Steelmann

Reaction score
Here are the top 25 cornerbacks of the 2022 NFL season. As we did with our quarterback rankings, we examined several key metrics at the position:

• WAR Rank: Rank among cornerbacks in PFF WAR (wins above replacement)

• Grade Rank: Rank among cornerbacks in PFF coverage grade

• SCORE Rank: Rank among cornerbacks in successful coverage over expected — a measure of success regardless of being targeted

• EPA Rank: Rank among cornerbacks in EPA (expected points added) allowed per target

• FINC Rank: Rank among cornerbacks in forced incompletion percentage

• 1D/TD% Rank: Rank among cornerbacks in the percentage of targets that resulted in either a first down or touchdown

• Man % Rank: Rank among cornerbacks in the percentage of snaps played in man coverage

• PFF Rank: The consensus ranking from PFF's lead passing-game analysts

PFF analysts voted on the top 40 players at the position. We included 32 cornerbacks in the table below to show transparency and highlight how close things got after the top 25.

FINAL CORNERBACK RANKINGS

Top 10

1Sauce Gardner
2Patrick Surtain II
3James Bradberry
4Jaire Alexander
5Stephon Gilmore
6Tyson Campbell
7Patrick Peterson
8Charvarius Ward
9Jalen Ramsey
10D.J. Reed Jr.

You read that correctly.

BY A WIDE RANGE OF METRICS THE SEVENTH BEST PERFORMING CORNER IN THE LEAGUE LAST YEAR WAS Patrick Petersen.
The ONLY Steeler among the top 32?

24Cameron Sutton

Steelmann

Reaction score
Hoping that Peterson can be as serviceable as Sutton has been at least for a season or 2, and the move may not end up screwing up the draft process as much as some think.

However, in many of the mocks I'm seeing now, OT's are flying off the board before 17, and 2 of the 4 QB's that were supposed to be gone are still there.
It sucks. The top OT’s always fly off the board early. Especially when we need one .......or two. The one position I have now advocated for in the last 4 drafts,we could probably have the pick of the litter on. A bonafide stud center. I’m not saying our first pick. But with one of our top 3 picks. In the SB ,Creed and Kelce controlled the whole line. We should know what a top flight center means with our Steeler traditions. How is Mason Cole at guard?

ianv2012

Reaction score
It sucks. The top OT’s always fly off the board early. Especially when we need one .......or two. The one position I have now advocated for in the last 4 drafts,we could probably have the pick of the litter on. A bonafide stud center. I’m not saying our first pick. But with one of our top 3 picks. In the SB ,Creed and Kelce controlled the whole line. We should know what a top flight center means with our Steeler traditions. How is Mason Cole at guard?
Through his career I think he's looked better as a C, and he's said himself he prefers C.

Steelmann

Reaction score
Another Question that I don’t need to start a thread on,I’m sure someone will answer.

I read that signing Peterson won’t negatively affect or offset any compensation picks?Someone signing Cam will positively In Our favor? I guess I’ve never really understood the whole process.
Anyone?

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Meh people put to much emphasis on drafting positions in the first round… Bill cowhers teams never drafted a single lb in the first, but they constantly had great linebackers. He did drop a metric ton of first round capital on WRs, and not one of those wrs could get close to the career of a third round pick out of Georgia that didn’t even move to WR till after his sophomore season….

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Another Question that I don’t need to start a thread on,I’m sure someone will answer.

I read that signing Peterson won’t negatively affect or offset any compensation picks?Someone signing Cam will positively In Our favor? I guess I’ve never really understood the whole process.
Anyone?
Its a super secret equation … much of it was revealed in the last CBA though…somehow how it is written in the cba still isn’t how it is exactly applied though

If you want a real in depth explanation click here

If you want the basics, all the salaries of free agents signed are slotted based on where they fall league wide In average per year.. ( note that not all of the contract always counts… certain bonuses can be cut out of the equation for somme stupid reason)
Then you take the total number of nfl players and subtract their ranking from that…
So if a player got a contract that paid them 20 million a year and that was the 150 largest in the league and there were 1800 players it would be 1800-150= 1650

Then THAT number is adjusted for how many snaps the guy played and adjusted again if tgey win any major awards

But wait it gets better… then they assign a draft pick value to every player… and tgey compare losses to gains and cancel out all the equal ones and any leftover gains cancel the next highest guy
So if a team had two third round losses as well as a fifth and a seventh but one third gain and two sevenths one third would cancel out one of the thirds, one seventh would cancel the seventh… the other seventh would cancel the fifth and the team would get a third

Im leaving out a lot of bullshit

madinsomniac

Reaction score
I’m am pretty sure if we pulled the five dumbest posters here together they could come up with a better system than the nFL uses for comp picks