• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers sign Patrick Peterson

steelcan58

Reaction score
Meh people put to much emphasis on drafting positions in the first round… Bill cowhers teams never drafted a single lb in the first, but they constantly had great linebackers. He did drop a metric ton of first round capital on WRs, and not one of those wrs could get close to the career of a third round pick out of Georgia that didn’t even move to WR till after his sophomore season….
I still get shivers down my spine thinking about Troy Edwards. It's like it was yesterday.

One thing Cowher seemed to do was replenish the OL and DL on a regular basis. We have really strayed from that.

Steelmann

Reaction score
Its a super secret equation … much of it was revealed in the last CBA though…somehow how it is written in the cba still isn’t how it is exactly applied though

If you want a real in depth explanation click here

If you want the basics, all the salaries of free agents signed are slotted based on where they fall league wide In average per year.. ( note that not all of the contract always counts… certain bonuses can be cut out of the equation for somme stupid reason)
Then you take the total number of nfl players and subtract their ranking from that…
So if a player got a contract that paid them 20 million a year and that was the 150 largest in the league and there were 1800 players it would be 1800-150= 1650

Then THAT number is adjusted for how many snaps the guy played and adjusted again if tgey win any major awards

But wait it gets better… then they assign a draft pick value to every player… and tgey compare losses to gains and cancel out all the equal ones and any leftover gains cancel the next highest guy
So if a team had two third round losses as well as a fifth and a seventh but one third gain and two sevenths one third would cancel out one of the thirds, one seventh would cancel the seventh… the other seventh would cancel the fifth and the team would get a third

Im leaving out a lot of bullshit
No wonder I’ve never understood it. That gave me a headache 🤕🙂

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Considering he played for 4 million last year I think we overpaid. I guess we got a known commodity but I think he’s lost a few steps. Maybe they plan on moving him to safety. Idk I’m 🤷‍♂️ on this signing

I think we paid for an immediate Starting CB for our team that just lost a starting CB.

Salute the nation

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I think we paid for an immediate Starting CB for our team that just lost a starting CB.

Salute the nation
Well, heck anyone can start. Doesn't mean they'll do well. :)

Watching some Pat Pete film he is still a very good intermediate zone defender. I wouldn't put him on an island like we sometimes like to do though. 5 years ago he could turn and run with a guy but now he'd get toasted. The good news is there's not a lot of Burners in our division. Chase is a legit sub 4.4 guy. Duvernay is too. But I don't think the Browns have much for speed currently.

Like I said in another post this reminds me of the Mark Barron or Morgan Burnett. An insurance policy going into the draft. I am sure a CB is on the wants list but hopefully we don't reach for one now. Get good value with our picks.

Steelmann

Reaction score
Interesting reading these comments. With or without Cam we needed a #1 corner. I would have preferred signing Cam if the price was right..... and still getting a #1 corner. My mind hasn’t changed with the loss of Cam or adding Patrick.

We were tied for second to LAST in the league giving up TD’s through the air.
We were tied for 3rd LAST in the league for average of yards given up per throwing attempt.
Check out the QB’s we played against last year. Ridiculously easy. The good ones lit us up.
That we were that low in the league,with those stats, with the guys we faced is a joke.

All this with Cam. Despite all this criticism of losing Cam, every frigging stat I have read every little bit,shows that Peterson had a much better season. They are both essentially 2 year contracts. With the dollars way ,way in the Steelers favor. Yes I get the age thing.its a risk.
Obviously they didn’t think Cam was worth it,orCam wanted change of scenery with more $$$$.

I still want OLine for my first pick. I am pretty sure they will be gone. Then the second tier. I am hoping the CB’s won’t be gone. My fav would be Gonzalez. But he will be long gone.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I still think they will look at CB and OT with the first two picks - unless, of course, someone on the DL or ILB just falls in their lap that they love.

I hope you are right !!!!

Salute the nation

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Don’t hate it, just believe his best years are past. I would rather go a different direction.
Or at least bring in another free agent corner. Like perhaps ya -sin.

SteveA

Reaction score
Don’t hate it, just believe his best years are past. I would rather go a different direction.
33 years old is still young...Hate to be in a job interview with you hiring...

You do not know Patrick Peterson at all...age is one thing, but you do not take into account a man's desire to succeed, or the fire in his heart, or even lessons he has learned which compensates for what skills may or may not be lost.

This man has a proven track record & he will come to play this year...I got a feeling this thread ain't gonna age well for ya

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

You do not know Patrick Peterson at all...age is one thing, but you do not take into account a man's desire to succeed, or the fire in his heart, or even lessons he has learned which compensates for what skills may or may not be lost.

This man has a proven track record & he will come to play this year...I got a feeling this thread ain't gonna age well for ya
Since I am not getting paid to handle those deals, I could care less wether you disagree. I gave MY opinion, your continuous “I am smarter than everyone” posts don‘t mean **** to me. You have always come off as a sanctimonious blowhard, so who cares. Agree or don’t, my day will never be affected by what you think.

Stewey

Reaction score

No, it isn't. Not for a football player. The average age of retirement for a football player is 26-27, putting Peterson past retirement age.

As it pertains to CB's...research done by some writer in Denver based on 2019 data:

To better understand this, I dug into data on Pro Football Reference to see if it supports what seems to be an age wall in the early 30s for cornerbacks. The league certainly seems to think there is, as no one is committing significant guaranteed money to guys very far past their 30th birthday, but I wanted to make an attempt at quantifying it.

Conclusion​

It’s easy to see from the data why no teams are committing significant guaranteed dollars to corners past the age of 32.

In conclusion to that, MT's concerns were valid, therefore he'd be more likely to lean toward being good at hiring.

SteveA

Reaction score
No, it isn't. Not for a football player. The average age of retirement for a football player is 26-27, putting Peterson past retirement age.
Next year remember how you "dissed" Peterson..You know nothing about this man's internal motor and you have written him off...Very incomplete evaluation on your part. You know nothing about his off season preparation or what makes him tick...

PETERSON WOULD LAUGH YOU OFF AND TELL YOU TO GO WATCH YOUR TV WHILE HE BALLS OUT

SteveA

Reaction score
. You have always come off as a sanctimonious blowhard, so who cares.
THAT IS WHAT I THOUGHT OF YOU...YOU BLEW HARD AGAINST PETERSON AND HIS AGE

THIS IS WHY I BLEW THE BALL BACK TO YOU...YOU DO THE SAME THING AND ARE BLOWING HARD AGAINST PETERSON

Now Blow away...lol

we're all good bro...just talking smack...Lessgo STEELERS

Stewey

Reaction score
Next year remember how you "dissed" Peterson..You know nothing about this man's internal motor and you have written him off...Very incomplete evaluation on your part. You know nothing about his off season preparation or what makes him tick...

PETERSON WOULD LAUGH YOU OFF AND TELL YOU TO GO WATCH YOUR TV WHILE HE BALLS OUT
WTF?
I dissed Peterson? Where? How?
Quite the contrary. I like the fact we got him.
My only aim was to blow apart your claim that 33 was still considered young for a CB, and I did just that....quite well I thought.

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
THAT IS WHAT I THOUGHT OF YOU...YOU BLEW HARD AGAINST PETERSON AND HIS AGE

THIS IS WHY I BLEW THE BALL BACK TO YOU...YOU DO THE SAME THING AND ARE BLOWING HARD AGAINST PETERSON

Now Blow away...lol

we're all good bro...just talking smack...Lessgo STEELERS
Ok Karen

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
You went a done did it. I am going to have to have some BLTs this weekend. That's it.

Yep, couple slice tomato, couple leafs lettuce, 1-5lb. Slice cooked perfectly over mesquite smoke and all put between two slices low calorie bread………… gotta watch your girlish figure……………. :jump:

Salute the nation