• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers sign Patrick Peterson

Iron95

Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, couple slice tomato, couple leafs lettuce, 1-5lb. Slice cooked perfectly over mesquite smoke and all put between two slices low calorie bread………… gotta watch your girlish figure……………. :jump:

Salute the nation
Stll need cheese onion and mayo

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Stll need cheese onion and mayo

That’s to the eater’s discretion………….. ( I like everything on mine, but a girlish figure is a girlish figure )

Salute the nation

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
So here is the deal. The Steelers entered negotiations with Sutton with the desire to sign him in the overall strategy of what they wanted to do in FA. They could not come to an agreement within that strategy. Yes I'd rather have Sutton. But not at the expense of Larry O. Or the new Commanders ILB. So they grabbed Peterson as a stop gap one year guy who in my opinion can be more than serviceable perhaps almost as good as Sutton next season. Then they likely take a pedigree guy in the top 3 picks of the draft. You cannot have everything you want....but even a cynical fan like me is pretty happy with what they've done so far.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
So here is the deal. The Steelers entered negotiations with Sutton with the desire to sign him in the overall strategy of what they wanted to do in FA. They could not come to an agreement within that strategy. Yes I'd rather have Sutton. But not at the expense of Larry O. Or the new Commanders ILB. So they grabbed Peterson as a stop gap one year guy who in my opinion can be more than serviceable perhaps almost as good as Sutton next season. Then they likely take a pedigree guy in the top 3 picks of the draft. You cannot have everything you want....but even a cynical fan like me is pretty happy with what they've done so far.
I think they can still do more but yeah happy to the present. They need a SS and could use an experienced swing T and experienced OLBer for depth. And a vet slot WR. I would like to see these four things done..

Last edited:

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I think they can still do more but yeah happy to the present. They need a SS and could use a experienced swing T and experienced OLBer for depth. And a vet slot WR. I would like to see these four things done..
QB-Pickett
RB-Harris
WR1-Johnson
WR2-Pickens
Slot-Calvin Austin???
TE-Freiermuth
LT-Moore
LG-Dotson/Herbig
C-Cole
RG-Daniels
RT-Okorafor

DE-Cam Heyward
DE-Larry Ogunjobi
NT-Montravius Adams
OLB-TJ Watt
ILB-Cole Holcomb
ILB-Elandon Roberts
OLB-Alex Highsmith
CB-Patrick Peterson
CB-Ahkello Witherspoon
CB-Levi Wallace
FS-Minkah Fitzpatrick
SS-Damontae Kazee

There are numerous positions that could be upgraded and need depth. The absolutely glaring holes right now are slot wide receiver and safety (given how the Steelers seemed to like deploying the three-safety package).

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
QB-Pickett
RB-Harris
WR1-Johnson
WR2-Pickens
Slot-Calvin Austin???
TE-Freiermuth
LT-Moore
LG-Dotson/Herbig
C-Cole
RG-Daniels
RT-Okorafor

DE-Cam Heyward
DE-Larry Ogunjobi
NT-Montravius Adams
OLB-TJ Watt
ILB-Cole Holcomb
ILB-Elandon Roberts
OLB-Alex Highsmith
CB-Patrick Peterson
CB-Ahkello Witherspoon
CB-Levi Wallace
FS-Minkah Fitzpatrick
SS-Damontae Kazee

There are numerous positions that could be upgraded and need depth. The absolutely glaring holes right now are slot wide receiver and safety (given how the Steelers seemed to like deploying the three-safety package).
Wonder why they haven't attacked it yet? I hope they aren't waiting until after the draft...

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
QB-Pickett
RB-Harris
WR1-Johnson
WR2-Pickens
Slot-Calvin Austin???
TE-Freiermuth
LT-Moore
LG-Dotson/Herbig
C-Cole
RG-Daniels
RT-Okorafor

DE-Cam Heyward
DE-Larry Ogunjobi
NT-Montravius Adams
OLB-TJ Watt
ILB-Cole Holcomb
ILB-Elandon Roberts
OLB-Alex Highsmith
CB-Patrick Peterson
CB-Ahkello Witherspoon
CB-Levi Wallace
FS-Minkah Fitzpatrick
SS-Damontae Kazee

Two things
I think they need to upgrade some of those positions in the draft.
That lineup will compete for playoffs. Unfortunately football is a sport of depth and in a lot of those positions there is not much behind.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Apparently Cool Shades is talking about a move to safety?

If true, then CB goes to top of draft needs....why disclose this now? Perhaps its intentional misdirection......but why?

They like flexibility from their DB's. Kazee can play FS, SS or Nickel. Same with Fitz though they play him at safety almost exclusively. Peterson imo will play a hybrid role between outside and inside. I don't see him playing much over the top. I think he would be in intermediate defender.

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
They like flexibility from their DB's. Kazee can play FS, SS or Nickel. Same with Fitz though they play him at safety almost exclusively. Peterson imo will play a hybrid role between outside and inside. I don't see him playing much over the top. I think he would be in intermediate defender.
Yep---agreed ...

Exactly why I think Branch might be the one at 17.

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Not a fan...
Think he is overrated at that spot...
Plus...I never been a big fan of his Dad either...and I dont think the Steeler need that "dynamic" back in the room..
They let him walk off the staff for a reason..

On the field of play, Joey was a VERY solid player.

My reasoning on Porter Jr. is I think he leans a little to much on his dad's reputation. Interpreting to he isn't quite as good as the hype says he is.

I hope we end up with better than him. I heard tell (DK sports) that Kahn isn't going to be afraid to move up if they think they can get their guy.

Salute the nation

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
So to me safety is about anticipation and good calculated risk. Corner is about raw athleticism. I'd have some concern that you can just say he is an old Corner let's put him at Safety is a good idea.

ianv2012

Reaction score
Wasn't sure where to put this, but how about a mid to late round sleeper with tantalizing measurables to learn under Pat Peterson.

CB Cory Trice Jr., Purdue

6'3 206lbs
4.47 40
1.57 10yd split
17 bench reps
35in vert
11'0 broad
And according to PFF at his pro day
3.96 short shuttle
6.70 three cone

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
Not a fan...
Think he is overrated at that spot...
Plus...I never been a big fan of his Dad either...and I dont think the Steeler need that "dynamic" back in the room..
They let him walk off the staff for a reason..

I understand what you're saying , BUT.

Given the past failed draft attempts at defensive back.
Given Tomlins propensity for pedigree. (reached for Edmunds due to pedigree)
Given the draft position that were able to take a top defender at DB
Given Porters connection to the Steelers.

I think Tomlin sees this pick as a cant miss this time type of pick.

Not unlike the spirit of Christ in The Exorcist, i think his ego compels him.