• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Sign Tomlin to Three-Year Extension

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
This thread amuses me...
Do you agree that we can't expect deep playoff runs and SB rings?:Because Berm nothing supports that line of thinking as evidenced by long term mediocre results. The Tomlin supporters seem to be happy with participation trophies. Agree or disagree?

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
1 ACFCG in the last 10 years
A loss at that that was worse than the score shows

2 teams represented in game times 10 years is twenty teams simple math, only 16 teams in the conference...every damn team should’ve gotten there at least 1 time in that span by law of averages with 20 spots for 16 teams...

yeah, he’s great cause we are dangerously average and a threat to go one and done every other season...but never a losing season blah blah blah

great standard Mike

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
We all know Coach Tomlin's strengths and his weaknesses. There are no more Coach Cowher players on the team and this team has lead the league, defensively in sacks and has VASTLY IMPROVED in takeaways over the past two seasons. The team won ELEVEN games straight and they had NO REAL BYE WEEK last season---yeah, they ran out of gas.

How many of us thought that we would have won 8 games after Ben went down??? NO OF US. But they did it.

The team lost the best RB and WR at the peaks of their careers and they keep reloading.

This extension will allow us to truly evaluate Coach Canada and his game planning.

I'm celebrating this signing and I will continue to laugh at the haters...
So let me break this down. They have played pretty good to excellent defense the last several years with off the top of my head 8 first round draft picks out of 11. That's not scheme and coaching. When two of them were lost last year they were average at best.
Yeah they ran out of gas. You mean the same way they have run out of gas the last three years. In 2019 they won 8 games with essentially an all star defense and hiding their offense. Once teams started hiding their offense they were screwed. Lets not forget the Eagles won a Super Bowl with their backup QB and that coach has been fired.
Truly evaluate Canada??? You mean the way they have truly evaluated the other 4 OC's that took the fall?
The worst of this is Where the **** is Mike Tomlin going if they played him out this year and see what happens. He's leaving because they are gonna win the Super Bowl this year. Give me a ****** break. If you wanted to sign him next year. NO PROBLEM. He is going no where. no one but the talking heads in the media wants this guy or ANY of his assistants. Check that. Someone would want him for three years till they had him. And then they would be ****** too.

matarndt

Reaction score
bermuda, will you be laughing at the "haters" when 2021 is another disappointing season/early round playoff loss? As Sask said, there was no reason to extend Tomlin, and every reason to wait. They could have signed him to a new contract after this season. Absolutely no one would have been beating his door down to make him an offer. I can't believe that this wasn't a "prove it" year for him. It should have been. Apparently, he doesn't need to prove anything else to the FO, or to you, both of whom seem fine with early exits, losing to inferior opponents(or squeaking out wins that should be had handily), and lack of accountability. Some of us are tired of simply being slightly above average in general. I am excited to see what Canada will bring to the offense. Hell, it can't get much worse. When it improves, will Tomlin get the credit, after failing to fire our previous useless OC, whom he put in that position? Of course he will. It will be added to the list of his "accomplishments." Too bad that list is balanced out by the list of his failures, which only some of us seem to be willing to acknowledge.

Every other team in the league, especially in the AFC North, and their fans are happy to know that the Steelers will not be improving at the position of HC for the next four years.

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
Do you agree that we can't expect deep playoff runs and SB rings?:Because Berm nothing supports that line of thinking as evidenced by long term mediocre results. The Tomlin supporters seem to be happy with participation trophies. Agree or disagree?
,,,, aaannnnnd crickets.....

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Mike Tomlin is back in the lab, microwaving the popcorn, living in his hopes, ignoring his fears, building a team through adversity because ...

He is confused as to how to get his team to .500 with a 17-game schedule. That tie game thing is going to be a *****.

steelhurt

Reaction score
I’m not saying Tomlin is a bad coach but a very average one and never has been a good fit for the Steelers.
What is troubling to me, what could we have accomplished with a different coach the past say 10 seasons? A Frank Reich or Doug Pedersen with the talent this team had you have to wonder though.

KStilley

Contributor
Reaction score
Mike Tomlin is back in the lab, microwaving the popcorn, living in his hopes, ignoring his fears, building a team through adversity because ...

He is confused as to how to get his team to .500 with a 17-game schedule. That tie game thing is going to be a *****.
I'm not sure if I'll laugh or cry if they go 8 8 and 1.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
I’m not saying Tomlin is a bad coach but a very average one and never has been a good fit for the Steelers.
What is troubling to me, what could we have accomplished with a different coach the past say 10 seasons? A Frank Reich or Doug Pedersen with the talent this team had you have to wonder though.
Sometimes it is just time to move on. It happened with Andy Reid in Philly. And I think we are well over do to move on from Tomlin. Will have to wait another 4 years minimum now. SMH

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
So when does the old standard come back? Tired of excuses every year. Always some fatal flaw. A lot of it above the shoulders.

I have kinda settled into having low expectations. Being kinda good, but never great. Rinse&repeat for over a decade.

They can never sustain for a season. I always know when it's a wash when someone starts talking about superbowls and special treatment.

I'd like to just see one season again that they just crush everyone. I suppose it will never happen again.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
2017-one and done in the playoffs
2018-ended the season 2-4 after a 7-2-1 start and missed the playoffs
2019-ended season 0-3 after 8-5 start and missed the playoffs.
2020-ended the season 1-4 after an 11-0 start was one and done in the playoffs, being out coached by a team without its coach

Also, the Steelers have allowed their opponent to score 36+ points in three consecutive playoff games.

Yeah, all that just screams "extension". Complete ******* joke.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I know a lot of us here are FRUSTRATED. I know a lot of us here know what TRUE Steelers football is. I know a lot of us here yern for a tighter ship.

Coach Tomlin is here for awhile and we can't do "JACK" **** about it. I won't ever except mediocracy and express my verbality against it. All I can hope for is higher level of coaching weather it is CANADA who elevates or Tomlin with more aged, similar to wine or manure.

Lets see how this extention affects his attitude and hope for something to inject with-in.

Salute the nation

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
I have literally waited all day to come home and read this thread after I heard the news LOL. I knew it was going to be absolute gold.
Sat in meetings all day today. When this news flashed on my phone, I had to keep myself from hopping on the board to get bits and pieces of shadenfreude. The full meal is much better. Oh, the wailing and gnashing of teeth. Everyone here knew Tomlin was getting an extension. But to see Rooney actually yank the hopes and dreams from some folks' hearts .... It's like Rooney went full blown Conan The Barbarian
Conan%2BThe%2BBarbarian%252C%2BWhat%2Bis%2Bbest%2Bin%2Blife%2Bquote%2BQC%2Bwm_thumb%255B4%255D

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Honestly, does anyone believe we will win another super bowl under Tomlin?
And who else feels Tomlin has his first losing season when Roethlisberger retires.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
And who else feels Tomlin has his first losing season when Roethlisberger retires.
Probably not with the SB. But, that kinda goes hand and hand with the decline and loss of a franchise QB. As I expect would be a first losing season. Kinda low hanging fruit there.
Either way, I'm just enjoying the tears for the moment. Whatever the future holds is what it holds. I'm expecting nothing less than an 80's style walk through the wasteland. Anything better before we rise up again is fantastic.

Steel Ballin

Reaction score
Somewhere Tim Tebow and Blake Bortles are laughing their ***** off.

Reactions: GMC

Supersteeler

Reaction score
I feel like at the NFL level, the head coach accounts for a fairly small percentage of why a team wins or loses. Players account for about 90% in my opinion. That's why I get such a kick out of the Tomlin induced Armageddons we see here so often. It amuses me to no end.

And yes I think Tomlin will have his first losing season after Ben goes unless they luck into another great QB right away. Hence the fact that players account overwhelming amount of wins and losses. If you have any doubt take a look of Chuck Noll's early tenure before multiple HOF players and a Franchise QB came aboard. Look at his late tenure once said HOF'ers retired.

Last edited: