• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers V Rats 1997

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
Watching that makes me want to cry a bit. Damn I miss those days. That hit by Norm Johnson, our ******* kicker, is harder than most of our defense lays on fools these days.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Reminded me that Gildon used to be a very good player, and that QB's feared Greg Lloyd to the point they had no desire to hold the ball to allow something to "develop." Four interceptions in the first 20 minutes resulted.

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Watching that makes me want to cry a bit. Damn I miss those days. That hit by Norm Johnson, our ******* kicker, is harder than most of our defense lays on fools these days.
I read a little Cowher stuff the other day...he said that the '97 squad was his best team...interesting.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
I read a little Cowher stuff the other day...he said that the '97 squad was his best team...interesting.

That was the one year they had both Bettis and Thigpen at the top of their games. Stewart was inconsistent as hell that season, but made a ton of big plays and had a special connection with Thigpen.

It wasn't quite Ben/Bell/Brown, but it was pretty good.

I probably remember that season most for it being the second time in three seasons that Carnell Lake saved the Steelers pass defense by moving to CB mid season.

Lake, Kirkland and Steed all may have had their best seasons in 1997.

The offensive line was great as well.

It was a loaded team, with deficiencies at the QB position, which killed them in the AFC title game.

Stewart threw two INTs in the endzone and lost a fumble in a game the Steelers lost by three points.

I do not like ripping on Stewart too much, as he could make some great throws from time to time and would consistently kill teams with his legs, but he should have stayed at WR.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
It was a loaded team, with deficiencies at the QB position, which killed them in the AFC title game.

As did Chan Gailey's bizarre insistence on having Stewart throw the ball when Bettis was shredding the Donks.

suncitysteel

Soli Deo Gloria
Forefather
Reaction score
Bettis had very good, quick feet and great vision, but I'll tell you what... he sure benefited greatly from the fact that his "Bus Driver" Tim Lester (RIP) followed him to Pittsburgh from the Rams. Those 2 were a very formidable pair.

JMM

Gone Fishin'
Forefather
Reaction score
I'm right here. Can't you understand plain English
Bettis had very good, quick feet and great vision, but I'll tell you what... he sure benefited greatly from the fact that his "Bus Driver" Tim Lester (RIP) followed him to Pittsburgh from the Rams. Those 2 were a very formidable pair.
And wide receivers who knew how to block as well. Sure miss #36...I got amped up just watching the highlights and him doing that jump around after making a good run...It wasn't really showboating in my opinion, but you know it had to get under the skin of opposing defenses and their fans. :)

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Stewart was inconsistent as hell that season
in 97? That was his one GOOD year at QB. He had an amazing number of TDs passing & rushing combined.
It wasn't until the playoffs started and Steve Carrol figured out that Stewart never passed when he broke the pocket that defenses figured out how to slow down the Steelers. Soon as the book was out on Stewart, he was never as effective. Spy on him and try to force him out of the pocket. At that point he was nothing more than a RB. Sadly, he wasn't able to go through progressions very well either so if he DID stay in the pocket, you could deal with that too.

I forgot how good his arm was though. He doesn't throw too many "soft" balls in this game.

Really liked the potential that Stewart brought. Was always sad it didn't develop.