• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Stephon Tuitt Remains Underrated Asset

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
There’s been a lot of talk about the Pittsburgh Steelers’ defensive overhaul. Gone are Bud Dupree, Mike Hilton and Steven Nelson. And, for a brief stint, so was Tyson Alualu and Vince Williams. It’s been difficult not to take it to heart, the fact that the defense will look a lot different going into the 2021 season. We’ve found ways to comfort ourselves (at least we still have Cam Heyward, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Joe Haden and TJ Watt). Hell, I have to do this at least once a day.

But the name I’ve seen so often omitted from this list of solace is Stephon Tuitt.

Remember him?

That other guy on the line who logged 45 tackles, 11 sacks, and forced 2 fumbles last year?

Yeah, he still plays here. It’s hard to remember that when he’s placed alongside generational talent like that. But he belongs on that list too. And he showed up to WORK in 2020 after missing most of the 2019 season due to injury. He was quick, played smart, and followed through on every tackle, every play, every down.

Just check this out:

stephon-gif.gif

With the help of Watt, Tuitt obliterates this RPO play. He tracks the football and sticks with it the entire time, and swiftly brings down Gus Edwards in the backfield.

He’s the kind of player who leaves you wondering, “how is that possible?” And he does that a lot.

Like he did right here in the same game:

tuitt-3.gif

While on the other end of a fierce hold, um, I mean, block, Tuitt is STILL somehow able to reach out and grab enough of Lamar Jackson to disrupt the pass and force him to make an errant throw. The amount of strength and grit that requires is difficult to imagine. But against the odds, he makes the play.

Yet, for whatever reason, he slips our minds more than he should. Having someone like this on the line is no small thing, and he is yet another freak talent we are lucky to watch on the gridiron each Sunday.

That’s not to say the losses of Dupree, Hilton and Nelson won’t hurt; they do. But the idea that our defense is decimated, dry, and weak is easy to disprove. And sure, we have Fitzpatrick, Heyward, Watt and Haden to thank in part for that. But we can’t forget to thank Tuitt for being a critical part of this defense – one that is often overlooked.

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
I 100% agree. the guy is a beast and I am glad he will be a live long Steeler

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I like Tuitt a lot. But he disappears for stretches of games in my opinion. And frankly him and Heyward have never been close to dominant at the same time.

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I read that title too fast and thought Tuitt remained under arrest...lol.

He has played well...when not injured, he's a beast.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think he is under rated I think he is about where his ratting wise. When he is healthy and on, he is a beast but he has had significant time loss and disapearance on occasion. Don't get me wrong as I am VERY glad he is B & G and I see a lot of praise his way through the media so under rated is a small stretch.

Salute the nation

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I don't think he is under rated I think he is about where his ratting wise. When he is healthy and on, he is a beast but he has had significant time loss and disapearance on occasion. Don't get me wrong as I am VERY glad he is B & G and I see a lot of praise his way through the media so under rated is a small stretch.

Salute the nation
This is the way I feel. Where were him and Heyward in the playoffs last year?

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
I like Tuitt a lot. But he disappears for stretches of games in my opinion. And frankly him and Heyward have never been close to dominant at the same time.

It's hard to argue with 11 sacks, but I largely agree.

For as good as he is, it just seems like his play is uneven especially against the run.

There are times when he looks like the best defender on the team.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
It's hard to argue with 11 sacks, but I largely agree.

For as good as he is, it just seems like his play is uneven especially against the run.

There are times when he looks like the best defender on the team.
Totally. You look at a Watt and he is never not a presence. Maybe he doesn't get a sack, but never a game where he isn't a presence. And no one should get a better favorable matchup, because is you were a OC which poison would you pick. Him or Heyward. And lets be clear, I like Tuitt ALOT. Hell he is a Notre Dame kid. I just think an honest assessment is that some games he is handled. And too many are big games.