• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steven Nelson Wanted An Extension in Pittsburgh

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
It’s been a strange week or two for former Steelers cornerback Steven Nelson. He went from starter to on the street after requesting his release from the team on social media.

Making a public announcement is a little out of my character, but you guys made your decision please don’t hold me hostage #dontholdmeback

— Steve Nelson (@Nelson_Island) March 23, 2021

The Steelers quickly obliged by releasing Nelson less than an hour later. From there he’s had spats with fans, and even having words with former teammate Devin Bush.

Lmao when you rich and super nice you can choose what team you want dbush you’ll get there one day

— Steve Nelson (@Nelson_Island) April 2, 2021

Today Nelson went on Pat Kirwan and Jim Miller’s podcast on SiriusXM to tell what exactly happened with the Steelers.

He explained that he approached the Steelers about an extension, which in turn would help free up money on the 2021 cap, but the Steelers didn’t like that idea. Nelson thought he had outplayed his current deal and wanted a raise with his extension.

The Steelers inturn said no and told Nelson and his agent that he would be allowed to seek a trade. No trade happened, he spoke out on Twitter and boom he was released.

“For whatever reason, the Steelers wanted to move a different way and thought I was, I guess, expendable, in my prime, via trade,” Nelson said on SiriusXM. “It came down to me being traded, or being released, and I just want to make it very clear … that there was never a discussion with me being able to take a pay cut. I was never even given that opportunity to take a pay cut.”

Free Agent CB Steve Nelson came on to clear the air about what happened in Pittsburgh that led to his release and how many suitors he has now.

"It was either a trade or release"

Take a listen
👇
pic.twitter.com/qio4zApGrH

— SiriusXM NFL Radio (@SiriusXMNFL) April 6, 2021

But obviously he wasn’t going to take a pay cut considering he thought he out played his current contract.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
“For whatever reason, the Steelers wanted to move a different way and thought I was, I guess, expendable, in my prime, via trade,” Nelson said on SiriusXM. “It came down to me being traded, or being released, and I just want to make it very clear … that there was never a discussion with me being able to take a pay cut. I was never even given that opportunity to take a pay cut.”

So he asks for an extension as he thinks he deserves more money and then he wants to play the poor me card "they didn't even give me the opportunity to take a pay cut"? **** that contradictory bullshit, he didn't want to play for the contract he signed, when he saw there wouldn't be an extension he forced his exit, he wouldn't stay for the same price, even less with a paycut...

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
So he asks for an extension as he thinks he deserves more money and then he wants to play the poor me card "they didn't even give me the opportunity to take a pay cut"? **** that contradictory bullshit, he didn't want to play for the contract he signed, when he saw there wouldn't be an extension he forced his exit, he wouldn't stay for the same price, even less with a paycut...

Bingo on this......He asked for an extension, but felt he outplayed his contract? I call BS on his part. He was given the largest FA contract in franchise history, and he thinks he out played it? We will never hear the FO words on the matter, but in all likelihood he was going to be offered an extension with a modest bonus under RESTRUCTURE terms to help with the cap. Either he or Haden would be offered the extension. He was offered first. The reason he asked for an extension, was because he knew Sutton would be given a chance to start on the outside. If Nelson lost the competition his value would decrease big time going into 2022. After listening to his tone on Sirius MTC, he was non-conciliatory and obviously jaded to his current status. I’m disappointed as I thought he was a good player and bought into the Steeler way of doing things. But Ego gets in the way when you look at what others have (MIN DB signing) instead of looking at what you‘ve got In hand.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
How many TDs did the guy give up last year 6? 7? The Steelers could have very well looked at him as a declining player. Especially with telling Sutton he was in play for a start. Nelson's arrow is pointing down and the Steelers got out of the kitchen at the right time. Yeah both parties saw the writing on the wall, Nelson is just trying to salvage whatever money he can get on the open market. Which shouldn't be more than 6-7 mil a year.

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
Stupid words fall out his mouth
I want more money, they didn’t even offer me a paycut BS, lmao

that’s a special kinda stoopid

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Well, I'm sorry the relationship had to end on poor terms. Interesting they don't show whatever Devin Bush had said or written that prompted Nelson to respond to him. Kinda weird I just watched the yinzher podcast with Aditi where they were discussing the fact that there is often tension in the locker room that we fans generally don't know about.

I also REALLY felt like Aditi should have been pressed to discuss why SHE believed the running game was crap last year, particularly given her statement that she'd talked with all parties involved and had a more complete understanding of the failure. Although she may have alluded to it when she was talking about how well the running game and the offense in general was doing early in the season and then suddenly, POOF, offense starts to suck...

That may have been a clue. I sure hope Matt North Montana can do something with the offense but I'm not holding my breath.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
How many TDs did the guy give up last year 6? 7? The Steelers could have very well looked at him as a declining player. Especially with telling Sutton he was in play for a start. Nelson's arrow is pointing down and the Steelers got out of the kitchen at the right time. Yeah both parties saw the writing on the wall, Nelson is just trying to salvage whatever money he can get on the open market. Which shouldn't be more than 6-7 mil a year.

He wasn't all that great when he played for Kansas City as a friend of mine (chefs fan) said good luck as Nelson was weakest link in their secondary at the time we acquired him. His first year here he played way over the top and I don't think he gave up a single TD. Now last season he dropped in play and was headed more to what he was like when in KC. I don't like his spin on things as he says he "outplayed" his contract, babble for I want a raise Then he is saying they didn't even give him a chance to take a pay cut......... Hmmmmm two headed coin in my opinion.

Now we will see if Sutton is the guy.

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Reminds me of the movie "Roadhouse" scene.......................

Maybe they needed Patrick Swayze to kick the **** out of him.

Salute the nation
That woman in roadhouse all types of mmm.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
That woman in roadhouse all types of mmm.
The bad guy's girlfriend (dancer)......... or Patrick's (Dalton's) Dr. Girlfriend....................................... Either is a HIT !!!!

Salute the nation

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
The bad guy's girlfriend (dancer)......... or Patrick's (Dalton's) Dr. Girlfriend....................................... Either is a HIT !!!!

Salute the nation
Dalton's GF was a level above the other one. Not that I would be complaining with either of course.😁

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Bring back Townsead! ;-)

I searched high and low and even back into the 30's but could not find anyone of that name that was ever rostered for the PITTSBURGH STEELERS. If you think he can help then I'm all for it but I'm also scrutinous that maybe he is an infiltrator so as to get you insider information and such.

wig, can we trust you on this recommendation ?

Salute the nation

fedderone

A Legend In My Spare Time
Contributor
Reaction score

Salute the nation
Best looking girl in that movie is the chick taking it in the storage closet that gets the pretty boy bouncer fired from the Double Douche.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Best looking girl in that movie is the chick taking it in the storage closet that gets the pretty boy bouncer fired from the Double Douche.

I like the Dr. chick because she is a clean woman.....and here is a quote from Outlaw Josse Whales.....................

scene: Comacharo dudes find the young daughter in the wagon and proceed to get her out on the ground and about to rape here,..... when the leader interupts and say......... Two Bears is going to want a clean woman, a clean woman is worth a hell a lot of horses........ now if any of yaz have to...... take old woman she's worth maybe a mule.........................

EDIT: PS...... don't piss down my back and tell me its raining.......

Salute the nation

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
People in hell want ice water too but it doesn't mean they're going to get it.

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
Watched all 7 of the TDs he was attributed to have given up.

One was absolutely not his fault—it was on Fitzpatrick and Minkah misplayed it.

One was a zone that could have been attributed to Hilton. Not 100% clear.

One was in garbage time.

I liked Nelson—and look beyond surface of the #s. CBs are gonna get beat. It’s not 1976 rules.

That being said, he’s gone as cap casualty—isn’t first won’t be the last

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
It came down to the Steelers seem content to go without any long-term pieces beyond this year so they have a ton of cap space to rebuild with a new quarterback. Maybe I'm wrong, but they way they are setting up, it seems like both Nelson and Haden would be gone after this year. They figure Haden is their No. 1, so keep him for one more year instead of Nelson.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
I like the Dr. chick because she is a clean woman.....and here is a quote from Outlaw Josse Whales.....................

scene: Comacharo dudes find the young daughter in the wagon and proceed to get her out on the ground and about to rape here,..... when the leader interupts and say......... Two Bears is going to want a clean woman, a clean woman is worth a hell a lot of horses........ now if any of yaz have to...... take old woman she's worth maybe a mule.........................

EDIT: PS...... don't piss down my back and tell me its raining.......

Salute the nation
It was Ten Bears Drink. OJW definitely one of the best Westerns ever.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Watched all 7 of the TDs he was attributed to have given up.

One was absolutely not his fault—it was on Fitzpatrick and Minkah misplayed it.

One was a zone that could have been attributed to Hilton. Not 100% clear.

One was in garbage time.

I liked Nelson—and look beyond surface of the #s. CBs are gonna get beat. It’s not 1976 rules.

That being said, he’s gone as cap casualty—isn’t first won’t be the last
Sure they are going to be beat but it was a noticible drop off in comparison to his prior season. He obviously had a higher self worth than how the Steelers viewed him. Your assessment only locks in one less TD btw that is still a significant amount given up. I bet the yardage given up would be significantly more last season as well. I think it was in the cards for Sutton to replace him and he saw the writing on the wall. A cap casualty because his performance his value didn't equal his cost.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Sure they are going to be beat but it was a noticible drop off in comparison to his prior season. He obviously had a higher self worth than how the Steelers viewed him. Your assessment only locks in one less TD btw that is still a significant amount given up. I bet the yardage given up would be significantly more last season as well. I think it was in the cards for Sutton to replace him and he saw the writing on the wall. A cap casualty because his performance his value didn't equal his cost.
He wasn't bad, he wasn't great, he falls into that Just A Guy category meaning easily replaceable.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
It was Ten Bears Drink. OJW definitely one of the best Westerns ever.
I agree Ike and Eastwood had a lot of great ones over the years. Grand Toreno was a more modern era one that was pretty darn good as well.

Salute the nation