• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Thank you Ben

fedderone

A Legend In My Spare Time
Contributor
Reaction score
What you just said tells me that Ben can still play.. Ben shouldn’t have to pass every play cause the OL can’t run block. Ben shouldn’t have to get rid of the ball in 2 seconds because the line can’t hold blocks.

Put Brady, Brees, Rogers, Rivers in our offensive scheme with no run game at all and let’s see how good they are. Brady looked finished last year cause he had a terrible OL, Brees has the best run game in the league, Rivers had a very good run game, Rogers has a great run game.

Ben can’t win each and every game by himself on offense. I guarantee you if we averaged 90 or so yards rushing a game, that is good enough for Ben to take this team back to a SB.

The defense was down right garbage last night.. they deserve a lot of blame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The deep ball threat is GONE from Ben.
I'm NOT laying ALL the blame on Ben.
I'm looking at the reality of the situation.

Tomlin needs to go, but the Rooneys will NEVER do that.....EVER.
So rather than spin our wheels with a will be 39 year old broken down QB ( from getting car killed in Arians's offense when our O-Line was garbage then, too ) and eating a FORTY FIVE MILLION DOLLAR ONE YEAR CONTRACT, it's time to reset, blow it up, and rebuild as fast as possible.

Our defense was garbage?
Anything to do with the FIVE turnovers the offense gave up? Anything to do with playing from behind TEN SECONDS into the game until the end, and by 28 points after the first quarter ended?
That kind of hamstrings you bit, no?

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Is there any way to do that in a team friendly way for the cap hit. Bens cost is what concerns me as I think he’s the highest paid QB or one of them per year right now, correct?
There is a way sure. Just depends on both parties desire to have Ben back.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Steeler Nation mobile app

6Lombardis

Reaction score
We had two Sid’s in Bell and Brown. Problem is they became better than the team. Our defense couldn’t match at the time.

Good teams overcome things, but do you ever think about what all has been lost at hands of the Cincinnati Bengals? Leveon horse collar, AB head shot, Shazier (self inflicted) tackle. The defense was matching the offense pretty well until that night with Shazier. It was held together after with twine string until it got exposed by Jacksonville. Sad.

Big Ben Rules

Reaction score
Nope. Then you're crying about getting Manziel, or Brady Quinn or Tim Couch or Kelly Holcombe, or Brandon Weeden or Derek Anderson or Colt McCoy.

Cause having an early draft pick automagically means you get a franchise, H.O.F. Qb.

Haha, or Ryan Leaf

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
I was angry the day of the draft in 2004 when we took him.

What, exactly, were you so "angry" about? That they missed out on Shawn Andrews?

The day Ben was drafted was one the happiest days of my life as a Steelers fan.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
Im curious as well??
He must've been the guy I saw at the Heinz Field draft day party, when they announced the pick some guy stormed out of the east club lounge swearing and m'fing the pick.
What, exactly, were you so "angry" about? That they missed out on Shawn Andrews?

The day Ben was drafted was one the happiest days of my life as a Steelers fan.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Steeler Nation mobile app

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
The deep ball threat is GONE from Ben.
I'm NOT laying ALL the blame on Ben.
I'm looking at the reality of the situation.

Tomlin needs to go, but the Rooneys will NEVER do that.....EVER.
So rather than spin our wheels with a will be 39 year old broken down QB ( from getting car killed in Arians's offense when our O-Line was garbage then, too ) and eating a FORTY FIVE MILLION DOLLAR ONE YEAR CONTRACT, it's time to reset, blow it up, and rebuild as fast as possible.

Our defense was garbage?
Anything to do with the FIVE turnovers the offense gave up? Anything to do with playing from behind TEN SECONDS into the game until the end, and by 28 points after the first quarter ended?
That kind of hamstrings you bit, no?

I do think our D was garbage. They could have stopped the bleeding. They could not stop the Browns when it mattered especially early on when the D was fresh. Once we started mounting a comeback the D gave up big drives. When we scored to make it 28-7 the Browns went straight down the field. The D couldnt tackle, generate pressure, generate turnovers, and if it wasnt for some Browns drops things would have even been uglier.

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
100% agreed.
But the other constant or factor is that the Rooneys aren't firing Tomlin.
No matter how much they should. No matter how inept he looks. No matter how may poor decisions he makes.
Tomlin will retire when he sees fit and The Rooneys will not do anything to say otherwise......sadly.
That is not how they handled the Emperor after a few disappointing years....

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Stewey

Reaction score
Trick question... Mason wouldn’t have led those drives to get the team back in. So there would have been no replication.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a trick question. I asked if Mason had replicated Bens performance. That would mean leading drives to get the team back in.

...or are you saying Mason wouldn't have had to engineer the comebacks because he wouldn't have put the Steelers in that situation?

Mike Greenburg today had L. Tomlinson on today. He was not bashing Ben, but in his opinion he felt Mason would have played better.

fedderone

A Legend In My Spare Time
Contributor
Reaction score
That is not how they handled the Emperor after a few disappointing years....

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

There's a skin pigmentation difference between the two.
There is also a 30 year evolution of culture in this country.
After the creation of The Rooney Rule, do you honestly think The Rooneys are going to "encourage" retirement from Tomlin?
Not in this climate. Not happening.
Tomlin will retire from coaching at his leisure.

SteelerinMD

Unleashing Mediocrity Since 1/22/07
Forefather
Reaction score
After the creation of The Rooney Rule, do you honestly think The Rooneys are going to "encourage" retirement from Tomlin?

And more fans will drift away from this franchise. Every year they push people further and further away. It is Tomlin and crew, they don’t care. Color or not he is a failure as a coach as is his staff. Rooney rule and no balls Art II keeps him here. Bring back MT and have him bring back the same staff and see what happens with the fan base. Participation Trophy Tomlin is the standard

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

mdk2

Reaction score
Not a trick question. I asked if Mason had replicated Bens performance. That would mean leading drives to get the team back in.

...or are you saying Mason wouldn't have had to engineer the comebacks because he wouldn't have put the Steelers in that situation?

Mike Greenburg today had L. Tomlinson on today. He was not bashing Ben, but in his opinion he felt Mason would have played better.

With all due respect to LT, he knows jack **** about what is best for the Steelers.

Rudolph is not now nor will he ever will be better than Ben, never ever. People are obsessed with the backup QBs and always think they're the answer.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score

There were politics involved in the hiring of Tomlin, and those same politics hold him to a lower standard as coach.

The Steelers would have to REALLY suck for an extended period for the Rooney's to make a move. A decade of impotency in terms of post season success isn't enough.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
As much as I'd love to see Ben come back and rediscover some of that magic, it's over for him. He isn't physically capable of doing everything you need from a QB today. If he considers coming back, someone needs to sit down and tell him it's over. If he comes back, I can't see this team winning more than 7-8 games with him and his contract being pushed off yet another year.

that's also what everyone thought this year too. And, he was more mobile in the beginning of the year than we have seen in years. He obviously got injured. If he is able to get that back and keep the arm strength he still obviously has and gain a little more touch back, he gets us back to the playoffs, depending on who is around him. If we can't sign anyone but Watt and don't get a day 1 RB starter and day 1 OL help (draft or FA), then it doesn't matter who is back there unless they can run like lightning. Pouncey and/or Decastro could be cap casualties if they don't retire.

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
We've been lucky to have him but its a shame the last 10+ years of his career were wasted with subpar coaching efforts. Ben didn't help himself with poor playoff performances v the Clowns or Jax. Too many interceptions in those games.

6Lombardis

Reaction score
And more fans will drift away from this franchise. Every year they push people further and further away. It is Tomlin and crew, they don’t care. Color or not he is a failure as a coach as is his staff. Rooney rule and no balls Art II keeps him here. Bring back MT and have him bring back the same staff and see what happens with the fan base. Participation Trophy Tomlin is the standard

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

There is not quantitative evidence that fans are being “pushed away.” You might have anecdotal examples, but to claim fans are being pushed away....what does that even mean? Fans upset? You’re just making assumptions that on the whole may not be true.

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Im curious as well??
He must've been the guy I saw at the Heinz Field draft day party, when they announced the pick some guy stormed out of the east club lounge swearing and m'fing the pick.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Steeler Nation mobile app

You sure that wasn't Tommy Maddox?