• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Thank You, Tunch

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
As a kid growing up in south-central Pennsylvania, I wasn’t able to watch every Pittsburgh Steelers game. This was either due to the fact the game wasn’t broadcasted in the area (this was before Sunday Ticket) or I wasn’t allowed to stay up for Monday Night Football. Therefore, I was forced to sneak away with a tiny radio, tune into the Pittsburgh Steelers radio network, and got to know Bill Hillgrove, Craig Wolfley, and the colorful and exuberant, Mr. Tunch Ilkin.

Ilkin announced his retirement from broadcasting to focus on his ALS treatments, and I figured it’d be fitting to say a simple, “thank you”.

“I have had 37 years in the NFL, with 14 as a player and the last 23 in broadcasting as the color analyst on the Pittsburgh Steelers Radio Network, and I’ve decided to retire."

Tunch Ilkin has announced his retirement from broadcasting to focus on his treatment for ALS.

— Pittsburgh Steelers (@steelers) June 3, 2021

Ilkin has been a staple in the Steelers family since 1980. He played offensive tackle under Chuck Noll before retiring from football to join Hillgrove and Myron Cope in the broadcasting booth in 1998. Ilkin has praised Cope for mentoring him and grooming him into the radio announcer we’ve grown to know and enjoy. As I have grown older and seen many Steelers players come and go, Ilkin in the booth has been the constant. I remember seeing him at training camps in Latrobe and multiple Fan Fests at Heinz Field. To me, listening to Ilkin on gamedays was as much as a ritual as putting on my favorite jersey.

When Ilkin announced his ALS diagnoses last October, my first feeling was sadness. But listening to Ilkin’s response, that sadness has turned into inspiration, strength, and courage. When he was diagnosed, Ilkin explained he will not give up or give into his sickness. Being a very spiritual man, Ilkin explained he will fight this disease with the help of God. “I’m not going to lie down and take this lightly”, he proclaimed.

Ilkin is going to have the power of God and all of Pittsburgh as he continues through this journey.

To the late-night Monday Night Football broadcasts, the exciting Super Bowl runs in 2005 and 2009, the regular season wins and losses, and to everything in between, I have thoroughly enjoyed and appreciated everything Ilkin brought to SteelerNation.

Thank you, Tunch.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
Big shame. Great guy. Active in the community, too. This is the kind of stuff you wish on politicians, not great guys like Tunch.

Said a prayer for him and his family.

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
Got to meet Tunch at a SNU event. Think I even had on his Super Bowl XL ring as well. Shame that they can find a vaccine for a virus in under a year but they can't find a cure for things like this that would help heal the world in other ways.

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
Tunch's enthusiasm was infectious. Never had a cross word for anybody even though I'm sure he had to bite his lip. Sad day for him, his family and the family that is Steeler Nation. Like was already mentioned, a warrior through & through. God speed, Tunch.

JMM

Gone Fishin'
Forefather
Reaction score
I'm right here. Can't you understand plain English
Real sorry to hear this but I had a feeling that the last game against the Browns was going to be the last full game he would call. I joined in the party late and only started listening to their radio feed the last couple years but I'd turn off the TV volume and listen to Tunch, Wolf and Bill call the game. Was a blast to listen to Tunch and Wolfley carry on and talk about their old days and they didn't sugar coat anything. If the player made a great play, they'd give him props, if he took the play off, they called that out too.

Tunch is "tough as woodpecker lips" as they would say and I'd expect him to battle this as ferociously as possible. Like Hines said, why can't they find a cure for horrible diseases like ALS, Parkinsons, Cancer and Alzheimers?

Hang in there Tunch, keep battling!

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I wouldn't wish that disease on a bad person and Tunch seems like a great person. From watching Islanders broadcast on NHL Live, I feel that when you pay for Sunday Ticket you should get an option of a synched local broadcast or radio synched. I really like listening to the Homer for MY TEAM. Good luck Tunch.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
MOST certainly will be missed and as said by many...... loved and respected both on and off the field of play. I for one will miss his commentating and the games will have a different air to them.

GOD's blessings his way.

Salute the nation

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
Just ran across this and thought of Tunch and how absolutely dumbfounded he sounded when The Bus fumbled at the goal-line against Indy in the 2005 Divisional Round.

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
Got to meet Tunch at a SNU event.

Did he mistake you for AV, Dirk Nowitzki or some other giraffe?

(I'm just jealous you got to meet him)

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
I wouldn't wish that disease on a bad person and Tunch seems like a great person. From watching Islanders broadcast on NHL Live, I feel that when you pay for Sunday Ticket you should get an option of a synched local broadcast or radio synched. I really like listening to the Homer for MY TEAM. Good luck Tunch.
Agreed

Shane Falco

Pain is temporary, Glory lasts forever
Contributor
Reaction score
I had the pleasure of talking to Tunch in the Mall at Robinson. It was a nice casual conversation. He talked to me as if he had known me for years. It started with me recognizing him and saying hi. My wife thought we knew each other. I explained to her who he was. A class act and a true gentleman.

RAILHOG

Reaction score
Who do you think is at the top of the list to replace Tunch as the color guy? I thought Charlie Batch did good in a couple games last season.

troymania

Reaction score
ALS is a sinister disease that breaks you down and takes so much away. I wouldn't wish this disease on my worst enemy and especially not a good man like Tunch. Fight like hell Mr. Ilkin.

Reactions: JMM