• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

The Draft my opinion

keslerclan

Reaction score
The ONLY thing we know for sure is that our OL sucked at RUN blocking last year, IMO.

So, I have a hunch that Canada's offense will be better at "working around" this deficiency...at first. Klemm must be better than Sarratt at teaching the OL that pass blocking is not the same as run blocking.

That said, IMO, NO RUNNING BACK is going to look good behind our OL from last year, and we don't even have that now.

We are approaching the season on the hopes that our aging QB has more time and our running backs have a better YBC than last year with markedly worse talent performing in front of them.

We need road graders in this draft, IMO. Pass blocking is hit-or-miss even with the highest rated OL coming out and it usually takes some time to get used to the "speed of the game" as they say. We can work the passing offense off of a good running game and we have less time to get any new players up to speed.

All that considered, history, especially recent history shows us that 1st round RBs are at best 50% likely to be successful and have the highest bust potential of all positions on top of that as only 15% become all-pros. There is a reason for this. You cannot draft a superstar and expect he can run behind a **** line. Likewise, you cannot expect to sign an immobile QB prospect (w accolades) and expect he will not become David Carr.

Wherever we find them in the draft, we need some nasties up front to do the dirty work because IMO, we don't have them now. Najee may be a superstar...or the next Trent Richardson but playing behind one of the most dominant OL in college football for a few years is not going to be the same when you routinely get hit in your own backfield. IF we get some horses up front, we already have the ponies who could take advantage of it, IMO. Maybe not the best, but guys who can get yards after a running start, something most of the high rated RBs all have coming out of college. Their is enough talent at RB where we can get some OL talent (road-graders) and pick up a versatile RB later if needed but putting a thoroughbred behind our present OL is going to send him to the glue factory.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
2003 to 2004, we went from 31st in rushing to #2 just by adding a new RB (Staley) and getting healthy along the oline and getting a new OC. If Decastro is healthy, Dotson is an upgrade at LG, we'll add a C or T early in the draft. Banner who has totally transformed his body won the RT job last year, but played what a quarter? He should upgrade at RT. If we take a RB at #24, and a C or T in round 2 they can pretty much start from day 1 or close to it, there's no reason the run game can't be adequate. I like Harris over the other RB's, and I like Javonte over Etienne, just not sold on Etienne as a blitz pick up/blocker.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I agree that no running back is over coming really ****** line play. I just think that last year when there was an opportunity no one paid. Some of those 7and 8 yard runs should have been 25-30 and there were precious few of those. I'd prefer a bruiser, to a speedster.

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Thoughts?

Would be acceptable...cant argue with any of them really.

Regardless...there are going to be a dozen or so immediate starters for us in round one...lets just make sure we get one of those and not a longer term project..

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Harris vs. Etienne

Starting to lean towards Etienne, I have to admit. I think he is a better open field runner and natural pass catcher. Not a big guy, but big enough. Similar size to Dalvin Cook, Aaron Jones, and James Robinson - three of the top 7 rushers in the NFL last year. I am not sure how Canada's "scheme" will affect the selection but if Canada is looking for an offense with more RPO, a pass catcher out of the backfield, Etienne is the guy.

21STEELERS21

21 is my IQ
Reaction score
Canada probably thinks he already has his pass catcher out of the backfield in McFarland.

I think if a 10 year plus LT or CB is there at 24, you have to take him. Those tend to be two of the highest critical positions in today's NFL.
If neither is there, then you can consider a RB.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Harris vs. Etienne

Starting to lean towards Etienne, I have to admit. I think he is a better open field runner and natural pass catcher. Not a big guy, but big enough. Similar size to Dalvin Cook, Aaron Jones, and James Robinson - three of the top 7 rushers in the NFL last year. I am not sure how Canada's "scheme" will affect the selection but if Canada is looking for an offense with more RPO, a pass catcher out of the backfield, Etienne is the guy.
But will he hold up if he has to block? Or will they streamline right towards BigBen?

Zack_of_Steel

Reaction score
To me their problems have come from focusing on a position and taking the next best guy at the position instead of BPA at a position of need.
- Artie Burns
- Terrell Edmunds
- Jarvis Jones though he was polarizing because he was good on tape poor on measurables.
Jarvis was atrocious on tape. Luckiest guy ever and rarely beat his man. I remember TC (was that his username? The guy that did the bigass draft book a time or two?) going on about him being single-teamed by ****** college TEs and losing.

If you watch a highlight reel of his he had a bunch of coverage sacks, unblocked plays, and fumbles bounce right into his hands. Absolutely baffling that he was considered a 1st rounder after an atrocious Combine.