• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

The Draft my opinion

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Najee Harris
Teven Jenkins
Terrance Marshall
Zaven Collins

all there at 4 - all 4 are excellent athletes.
so you take the one who fits better even if it is a need.

Outside of center, running back is the weakest position on the team and Harris is obviously a terrific prospect.

Jenkins would be just the nastiness we need to bring back to the offensive line.

Wide receiver isn't on the radar, but the NFL is a passing league and the Steelers don't have a true No. 1.

Collins would bring the inside/outside versatility this defense needs right now.

I don't see the Steelers going WR in the first. With Williams and Spillane back for the year, they may feel okay at ILB with Bush coming back. I have a bad feeling the team likes Okorafor/Banner as the starting duo more than we'd like to admit. Running the ball is something they will demand this year, so Harris seems like the logical choice, but I pick Jenkins.

fedderone

A Legend In My Spare Time
Contributor
Reaction score
But the term BPA is really four or five guys in a cluster and eye of the beholder. so for example would you take a receiver if he was in your mind the best guy on the board at 24?
If Smith, Chase, and/or Waddle are mysteriously on the board at 24, that's a hard pass for you?
I mean, it would still depend what other players are on the board as well in regards to what we need.
But one or all of those WRs sitting there at 24 is at least going to make pulling the trigger on another position more hard and give you more pause than running for the podium.
I understand that we need another WR like we need a third nut right in regards to what's ailing our team, but JuJu is on a 1 year contract, Chase was a rookie, Diontae might have perpetual drops, and Washington is what he is.
It's foolish to not at least consider.
But I also believe in ALWAYS playing the long game. ALWAYS have to have an eye towards the future.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
If Smith, Chase, and/or Waddle are mysteriously on the board at 24, that's a hard pass for you?

Me? A WR is great. Wonderful. But always find incredible value at that position later rounds, and the Steelers have so many other areas of need. What good is adding a great WR if the team cannot block and protect Ben, or run the ball enough to avoid facing nickel and dime the entire game??

Any of those guys is on the board at 24, time to make a trade down. Somebody is going to break the bank to get one of those guys. The question is, "To whom?" NYJ have pick 23 and if they really wanted one of those guys, they take him. Mia has draft capital, but also has picks 6 and 18 so why would they spend to get a guy they passed on twice? Jax has pick 25, so maybe they have an interest. Maybe.

Or maybe somebody like Green Bay, which needs help at WR and is in win-now mode. Deal the #24 for their #29 and #1 pick in 2022. A litany of good players the Steelers covet - Jenkins, Cosmi, Humphrey, J. Williams, Dickerson, Eichenberg, Collins - will be there at #29. So get Jenkins, Dickerson with #55, Sermon in the 3rd, an OLB pass rush guy in the 4th, a CB with the 2nd pick in the 4th.

And then have two of the top 32 picks in 2022, along with the comp picks and cap room. Bingo. Thanks for playing.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I mean, it would still depend what other players are on the board as well in regards to what we need.
But one or all of those WRs sitting there at 24 is at least going to make pulling the trigger on another position more hard and give you more pause than running for the podium.
I understand that we need another WR like we need a third nut right in regards to what's ailing our team, but JuJu is on a 1 year contract, Chase was a rookie, Diontae might have perpetual drops, and Washington is what he is.
It's foolish to not at least consider.
But I also believe in ALWAYS playing the long game. ALWAYS have to have an eye towards the future.
Wouldn't even think about it. I'd trade out if there was nothing but receiver value. WTF do they need a receiver for.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
You have immediate need at inside and outside oline positions. Running back. You have depth and or future need at QB, TE, Corner and Edge. You would have to be the village idiot to take receiver. Why not take Safety in the second while they are at it.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Washington will either be an easy sign or easy replace. Receivers are a dime a dozen and if Ben isn't the QB you are rebuilding anyhow. You are either taking that QB of the future or you are picking to help now. Anything else is just stupid.

fedderone

Contributor
Reaction score
Washington will either be an easy sign or easy replace. Receivers are a dime a dozen and if Ben isn't the QB you are rebuilding anyhow. You are either taking that QB of the future or you are picking to help now. Anything else is just stupid.
Yeah. Your Megatron’s, Julio’s, DHopkins’, Larry Fitz’s, Randy Moss’.....they grow on trees. Every team has one. They’re rampant throughout the league.
I agree that WR is not a pressing need for the Steelers and that there are other positions we need to address with raging urgency.
But it is monumentally retarded to reach for a position of need while bypassing a potential stud.
Could a team want to trade with us to land those players? Sure. That’s always a possibility.
My stance was more like we’re sitting at 24, no trades, and we’re on the clock.
IF one/all of those WRs were on the board, I’m probably using all 10 minutes and not running to podium for OLine. But again, too many variations. Who else is on the board?
In my scenario, I’m not mad at Steelers for selecting one of those WRs at 24 if the top Olinemen and RBs are gone.
Likewise, do we pass on Trevor Lawrence and/or if they were magically on the board at 24 because we still have Ben for another year or two?
C’Mon.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score

Passing on a stud receiver, including 2 who are top-10 talent would be dumb, IMO.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
The best player on the clock and it isn't even close is a Free Safety and his play doesn't translate to SS and he looks maybe HOF good. do you take him? Really? **** no. You already have that. If you ****** brought Ben Roethlisberger back this year (stupidly in my opinion) why would you bring in a receiver that you might get an extra 150 yards from. That's just stupid. oh and bye the bye:
Megatron’s, Julio’s, DHopkins’, Larry Fitz’s, Randy Moss’.
Not one championship between those guys and Megatron cancels out Moss, put the rest together and you barely have winning teams. No one you get in this draft would be better than AB at the height of his career, not a ****** chance. What did that get the Steelers?

fedderone

Contributor
Reaction score
The best player on the clock and it isn't even close is a Free Safety and his play doesn't translate to SS and he looks maybe HOF good. do you take him? Really? **** no. You already have that. If you ****** brought Ben Roethlisberger back this year (stupidly in my opinion) why would you bring in a receiver that you might get an extra 150 yards from. That's just stupid. oh and bye the bye:

Not one championship between those guys and Megatron cancels out Moss, put the rest together and you barely have winning teams. No one you get in this draft would be better than AB at the height of his career, not a ****** chance. What did that get the Steelers?
You do realize Minkah’s contract expires after this year, and we have several key players to resign, right?
I also agree it was stupid to bring Ben back.
And Dan Marino never won a championship, so I guess the Steelers made the correct call passing on him since we already had Bradshaw in his twilight and just turned to Mark Malone instead.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score

Chances are someone would want to move up for a high rated prospect that dropped.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Coach is the only one whose opinion of the draft matters.

0f0c8a54a97bd5bede01161e14c02ffe.jpeg

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
You do realize Minkah’s contract expires after this year, and we have several key players to resign, right?
I also agree it was stupid to bring Ben back.
And Dan Marino never won a championship, so I guess the Steelers made the correct call passing on him since we already had Bradshaw in his twilight and just turned to Mark Malone instead.
I thought they used Minkah very stupidly last year, but I highly doubt they let him walk. They have two years left. One and an option. He isn't going anywhere unless he becomes a major problem.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
I thought they used Minkah very stupidly last year, but I highly doubt they let him walk. They have two years left. One and an option. He isn't going anywhere unless he becomes a major problem.
Last I knew, Fitz liked it here. I guess we'll see next year after Shades' first losing season.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Last I knew, Fitz liked it here. I guess we'll see next year after Shades' first losing season.
I’m excited for the defense this season.
Watt was on fire last season.

A healthy Bush in the middle(hehehe-get your mind out the gutter)

and this defense is golden.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The more I'm looking at the draft, the more I want Etienne in Rd. 1. Good size, fast, can catch. He can pretty much do it all and as it's been noted in many places, he would fit a Canada offense. Having the breakaway speed out of the backfield would be nice. Trade up in Rd. 2 to grab the best OL we can get - LT or C.

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
This season is all in on Ben. We aren't picking a wr early, because we can afford not to. See our fa signings as well as our current stable of receivers.

Atlsteelers

Reaction score
We have so many needs at so many positions it’s hard to say which one we should focus on early in the draft. I’ve been a proponent in trading down and acquiring more picks in the top 4 rounds. But with that being said I really hope they draft BPA on the offensive side early and often and I’m fine with waiting on defense. But, I could see them double down on our defense and then create more space to sign some more players on offense after the draft.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
The more I'm looking at the draft, the more I want Etienne in Rd. 1. Good size, fast, can catch. He can pretty much do it all and as it's been noted in many places, he would fit a Canada offense. Having the breakaway speed out of the backfield would be nice. Trade up in Rd. 2 to grab the best OL we can get - LT or C.
I was thinking about Coach Canada and his pre-planning for the upcoming season this morning...

At this point, we still don't know (how could anyone) who the pick will be at 1.24 - my preference is Najee, but again, I would not be upset if Travis is available and picked, if Najee is gone.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I was thinking about Coach Canada and his pre-planning for the upcoming season this morning...

At this point, we still don't know (how could anyone) who the pick will be at 1.24 - my preference is Najee, but again, I would not be upset if Travis is available and picked, if Najee is gone.

What kind of room are these guys going to have with the likes of Okorafor and BJ Finney plowing the way?

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
What kind of room are these guys going to have with the likes of Okorafor and BJ Finney plowing the way?
Thought about that too - and, if it were me, I'm trading back into the bottom half of the first round and picking up Landon Dickerson. Injuries be damned, we need a C who can be elite and elite immediately. I don't know what it would take but that's me thinking out of the box...

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I’m fine with a center in the first. BJ Finney is not an acceptable starter. You can can an impact player in the first or second of the chips fall right. They probably need a day 2 tackle as well.