• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

The Draft my opinion

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Walking the dog with my son last night we went through draft scenarios. I've come down to this:
-If you want immediate impact, you need to go running back. The defense is solid, the receiving corps is good possibly great, a lineman will have impact, but only so much. Particularly a Tackle in my opinion. A centre could make an immediate impact as a starter, not a Tackle at 24 in my opinion. So to me that is Najee Harris.
- If you are talking future and now, its like Tackle/ Centre 1st round and then someone you project as a starter running back in the second like Hubbard. I know second is a reach on him, but he ran for a hell of a lot of yards 2 years ago and had a great pro day.
- If you are going strictly future its BPA of Oline, QB in the first round. Ie if you think Trask will be a quality starter and Rudolph is not, pull that trigger.

kev4heels

Reaction score
BPA may not be the right guy to take. If the best guy available is an OLB, we would pass. If the best guy is a S, we would pass. If the best guy is a DE, we would pass.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
if Najee is there, Colbert might pull a hamstring running to the podium

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
To me the term is really BPA at a position of need which is pretty much how they have always drafted in Rd. 1. Now need is loose. The need could be the year after the draft. Then you can really get close to BPA. But you for example are not taking a wr this year. To me the needs are RB, QB, Oline, Corner in no particular order.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I wouldnt...

And to me its a mistake not to take best BPA in Round One...
But the term BPA is really four or five guys in a cluster and eye of the beholder. so for example would you take a receiver if he was in your mind the best guy on the board at 24?

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
But the term BPA is really four or five guys in a cluster and eye of the beholder. so for example would you take a receiver if he was in your mind the best guy on the board at 24?
Najee Harris
Teven Jenkins
Terrance Marshall
Zaven Collins

all there at 4 - all 4 are excellent athletes.
so you take the one who fits better even if it is a need.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I don't think it's RB or bust to get an impact player. A top center would have a huge impact over potentially having BJ Finney starting in the middle. We all saw this team with Sean Mahan, possibly the team's worst UFA signing ever.

steelerscotty

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think it's RB or bust to get an impact player. A top center would have a huge impact over potentially having BJ Finney starting in the middle. We all saw this team with Sean Mahan, possibly the team's worst UFA signing ever.
Ladarius Greene and Donte Moncrief were worse IMO

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Ladarius Greene and Donte Moncrief were worse IMO
Mahan was a 16 game starter and was the worst offensive lineman on the worst offensive line in the NFL. They didn't cut him because of injury, they cut him because of performance. Unlike the two you mentioned, Mahan wasn't cut because of injury, he was cut because of performance.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Our 2 biggest needs are RB and OL. BPA at area of need. If both are sitting there tied on our board, I go RB this year. We can't keep trying a value RB pick like we tried the last 4 years. We need a legit starter on day 1. We know Harris and Etienne are almost locks as probably is Williams. We need to get one of them either in Rd. 1 or trading up in Rd. 2 as I've said for months. RB or OL in Rd. 1 and take the other in Rd. 2 by trading up even if it costs us our No. 3 next year.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Mahan was a 16 game starter and was the worst offensive lineman on the worst offensive line in the NFL. They didn't cut him because of injury, they cut him because of performance. Unlike the two you mentioned, Mahan wasn't cut because of injury, he was cut because of performance.
I kinda feel like Moncrief may have been cut for performance... Just sayin' What did he have, literally 3 to 5 catches in the 1st half of the year?

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
Not that it matters, but if there's a choice between an offensive lineman that will be a pro bowl beast for the next 10 years or a RB, I'll go O line.

Spinthenfall still haunts me.

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
If it ain't OL....they better have a big surprise for us.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Najee Harris
Teven Jenkins
Terrance Marshall
Zaven Collins

all there at 4 - all 4 are excellent athletes.
so you take the one who fits better even if it is a need.

Add in Jamin Davis (LB) Kentucky. Needs a year just to develop since has only one year starting experience but wow, his upside is incredible. Here he is covering a RB on a wheel route against Florida.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">We&#39;ve got the wheel route out of the backfield and Jamin Davis (Kentucky LB 44) has it covered. I can definitely see why he&#39;s so intriguing. <a href="https://t.co/ug0vLTBDJB">pic.twitter.com/ug0vLTBDJB</a></p>&mdash; Russell Brown (@RussNFLDraft) <a href="">April 4, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

No surprise he can run with the guy - he ran an unofficial 4.37 40 at 234 lbs. He can play at 240 and still run.

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Yes--if I thought the player was a 6-10 year Pro Bowler and could develop into a leader within the Steeler organization ...

fedderone

A Legend In My Spare Time
Contributor
Reaction score
BPA may not be the right guy to take. If the best guy available is an OLB, we would pass. If the best guy is a S, we would pass. If the best guy is a DE, we would pass.
Would we? Maybe, but I don't think it's as definitive as you make it seem.
Too many scenarios.
Impact player is an impact player.