• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

The first two preseason games should be 6 quarters

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Where no player except kickers and punters may appear in more than 3 quarters. This gives ample time to judge the large rosters before cutdown and lets lesser players get some gameplay

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
I’m sure the 12 people
left for “quarters” 3-6 would more than justify keeping stadium staff around

That’s why they have scrimmages/practices with other teams

Don’t think there’s much of an audience for more preseason scrub football and the NFLPA would never sign off on these 5-6 hour games

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I think two games is more than enough with 8 quarters total. You’d assume about 90 percent of the roster is established with maybe a couple depth/special teams spots that need to be decided. Even starting positions are limited to only a few open spots. The Steelers have 4 this year (QB, CB, WR3, LG) and that is a lot.

If colleges can figure it out without preseason (not every team starts out with two cupcakes), I think the NFL can with two games. At some point it will get cut down when they add in an 18th game and have a full weekly international schedule.

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
Was WR3 in question because Pickens moving to WR2 forcing Chase to WR3?

Not sure QB1 isn’t already pretty much set too, it would take a lot of suck from Mitch to lose that spot imo or even more unlikely a ton of stellar play by Rudy

But just further emphasizes your point 448

Anything can happen, but they pretty much already know the top 48-50 and a few guys battle for the hatless roles.

Sure a couple guys emerge from the shadows of nowhere but hardly warrants more preseason

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
WR3 should be in question unless you just hand it to the rookie in Pickens. He has huge upside but limited experience. I do believe we'll see more of Claypool in the slot this year with Pickens on the outside when he locks down a key role.

I think QB1 is set, but they'll give a perceived competition. From a coaching standpoint, yes, not really a battle.

Most of us could already get, as you said, 48-50, guys on the roster. Even the guys who emerge, how many ever make the team? They released Roche, who showed some potential at a position that desperately needed depth to keep IIRC an extra ILB.

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
Would love to see Pickens force Claypool to realize his potential…ya know that iron sharpens iron thing

And obviously some pass rusher will catch all of our eyes and we’ll try to slip him onto the PS only to instantly be snatched up by someone…”it is the way”

Would be great to see an OL and/orTE come outta nowhere…dream scenario!!!

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
A young OL stepping up would be huge. They don't have much depth there right now.