• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

The Most Deserving Hall of Famer – Making The Case for Donnie Shell

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
When we think about the Pittsburgh Steelers of the 1970s, many associate them greatness; this greatness was conceived through the NFL draft between 1969 and 1974. Many of these players are regarded as some of the greatest players to ever play the game;*Mean Joe Green(1969),*L.C. Greenwood*(1969),*Terry Bradshaw*(1970),*Mel Blount*(1972),*Franco Harris*(1972),*Jack Ham*(1971),*Jack Lambert*(1974),*Lynn Swann(1974),*John Stallworth*(1974), and*Mike Webster*(1974). […]

More...

steelhurt

Reaction score
Oh man this is so overdo. I had the pleasure of watching this man play and the epic battles he had with Houston Oilers Earl Campbell are legendary. Shell was a tremendous player and devastating hitter. What’s keeping him out is the success of the 70s Steelers with the heavy influx of hall of famers from that era. That’s bullshit! If ever a player deserved to have a gold jacket it’s one Donnie Shell.
Come on HOF and do the right thing and reward Donnie for a stellar career and leave the politics out of the equation.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Shell and LC are both overdue. But the Super Steelers mantra is like the current WR mantra nowadays. The system just can’t keep up with all the changes in stats for one era to another.

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

steelhurt

Reaction score
Shell and LC are both overdue. But the Super Steelers mantra is like the current WR mantra nowadays. The system just can’t keep up with all the changes in stats for one era to another.

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

LC and his gold shoes. Geez that’s right! I forgot that he wasn’t enshrined in Canton. The guy was always under-appreciated imo. It was always about Mean Joe which was definitely deserved but the others on that line were tremendous players. Here’s a salute to LC who also should be in Canton, and to Fats Holmes and Mad Dog Dwight White.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Shell definitely deserves. IDK why he has been seemingly snubbed. UDFA?

Really shouldn’t be.. numerous UDFA are in including Steelers own Jack Butler. Lou Groza (but that was the sign of the times) Coach LeBeau’s partner Night Train Lane, Warren Moon, the irascible Mick Tingelhoff, I think another Viking John Randall was undrafted to, but I’ll need to check

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Shell in many ways was a prototype for the strong safety position.* He ranks favorably with many DB's in the hall of fame in terms of stats.** He should get in, I hope while he's living.

Troglodyte

Reaction score
When we think about the Pittsburgh Steelers of the 1970s, many associate them greatness; this greatness was conceived through the NFL draft between 1969 and 1974. Many of these players are regarded as some of the greatest players to ever play the game;*Mean Joe Green(1969),*L.C. Greenwood*(1969),*Terry Bradshaw*(1970),*Mel Blount*(1972),*Franco Harris*(1972),*Jack Ham*(1971),*Jack Lambert*(1974),*Lynn Swann(1974),*John Stallworth*(1974), and*Mike Webster*(1974). […]

More...

Probably deserves it as much as Swann and Greenwood. That being said, not sure they deserves it.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
With 51 interceptions and 17 fumble recoveries, Shell has 68 total turnovers.

I doubt most on defense in the hall of fame can match or exceed this total, and those who could are named Rod Woodson and Ronnie Lott.

Shell was a whale of a hitter, capable of breaking Earl Campbell's ribs.

Mix in 5 pro bowls, and 4 super bowl wins, and he should be in the hall of fame.**

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Shell& L.C. Greenwood. Both should have gone in long ago.

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
The 51 interceptions in that era of football is pretty remarkable.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
There is a weird stigma about letting Safeties into the HOF. The last pure Safety in the HOF was Ken Houston (and he ended his career in 1980). Lott played CB and S.

Dawkins is opening up a run on Safeties that will include Ed Reed and Polamalu in the next couple years. And all of them deserve to be in the HOF.

Shell is on par with Dawkins in my opinion. Heavy hitter with ball skills, that could shut down both the run and pass.

If you're looking at stats, he is more deserving to be in the hall than Swann. But Swann has iconic plays and played the political game to earn votes when he was a sideline broadcaster for the NFL. Once he got the HOF nod, he quit and went into politics.

steelhurt

Reaction score
Hopefully when Troy and Reed get in the committee decide to induct Donnie. It’s an injustice and travesty that he’s not already in.

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
So here's a question: Out of Donnie Shell, L.C. Greenwood and Andy Russell, who IYO is the most deserving of the HOF?

I admittedly am too young to have enjoyed watching any of them play live, but technology certainly helps.

bmoritz

Reaction score
I would say out of those three, (all three deserve in by the way), I'd go with Greenwood.

Hines Ward is also deserving.

steelhurt

Reaction score
So here's a question: Out of Donnie Shell, L.C. Greenwood and Andy Russell, who IYO is the most deserving of the HOF?

I admittedly am too young to have enjoyed watching any of them play live, but technology certainly helps.

I saw all three play and Andy Russell played on some bad teams in the later part of the 60’s. Andy was excellent consistently throughout his career and a lot like Jack Ham. Very intelligent player that covered a lot of ground and always around the ball.

Your question is a tough one for me but here is my order:

1) Russell
2) Shell
3) L C

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I've noticed that guys who got to watch all of Andy Russell's career absolutely love the guy.