• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

The Steel Curtain Returns?

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Jordan DeFigio, @fidgenewton SteelerNation.com It’s a little too early in the season to predict anything with certainty, given team activities have yet to start. But it might be a safe bet that the*Pittsburgh Steelers*defense is a force to be reckoned with. After Steelers GM Kevin Colbert spent*several seasons making moves to strengthen the secondary (including*a […]
The post The Steel Curtain Returns? appeared first on SteelerNation.com.

More...

Hoot

Contributor
Reaction score
i am indeed excited about the potential for this defense. but..ahh..mmm...do i want to call it the Steel Curtain? That is a special name for me and always makes me think of the original. Many years later we became Blitzburgh and played in the Blast Furnace. I think the group can be special - very special...maybe they deserve their own nicknames rather than Steel Curtain 2.0? Thoughts?

Paul G

Bleed Black 'n' Gold
Contributor
Reaction score
i am indeed excited about the potential for this defense. but..ahh..mmm...do i want to call it the Steel Curtain? That is a special name for me and always makes me think of the original. Many years later we became Blitzburgh and played in the Blast Furnace. I think the group can be special - very special...maybe they deserve their own nicknames rather than Steel Curtain 2.0? Thoughts?

Agree with you HOOT....... there is an identity attached to each era of the Defense in Pittsburgh.......... Steel Curtain stands alone...... Blitzburgh had its dues........ and today's DEF has potential to carve out their own niche and deserves a title of its own once they win that next Superbowl title......

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
Not there yet.

In the 1976 season, the Steelers' defense was a juggernaut, arguably the greatest defense of all time. After the Steelers started 1-4 and lost their quarterback, Terry Bradshaw, the Steelers' defense took over.

In eight of the next nine games, the defense didn't allow a single touchdown, shutting out opponents five times including three consecutive games. During this nine game stretch the Steelers allowed a total of two touchdowns and five field goals. The defense also allowed an average 3.1 points per game and the team had a 22 points average margin of victory.

stillerfaninfl

Contributor
Reaction score
Steel Curtain and Blitzburgh were both in use BEFORE those teams won their respective SBs. Can't really win a SB and then give a name after the fact.

Steel Tsunami ... these guys just wash over the OL and QBs from all angles and all directions ... there's no escape.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
They need to earn more than a partial season of great play to get a life long NAME.

The STEEL. CURTAIN is NOT up for grabs as it is all ready taken .

Time will name this potential defense when the time is right.

Salute the nation

Hoot

Contributor
Reaction score
They need to earn more than a partial season of great play to get a life long NAME.

Salute the nation

i am only on my third beer tonight and you be poopin' on my barrel full of monkeys. you cad. I hope your feet itch.

xjx

Reaction score
IF this defense plays shutdown football they will earn a nickname based on their play. We have to see it first.

Stewey

Reaction score

Salute the nation

Steel Drapes?

Nevermind.

Stewey

Reaction score
The Steel Trap.
We're gonna be noted for disguising our defenses so well.

There was a thread about of how Mikah helps our D do just that.

Last edited:

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
i am only on my third beer tonight and you be poopin' on my barrel full of monkeys. you cad. I hope your feet itch.

Steel Drapes?

Nevermind.

Our 70s STEELERS possess probably the greatest DEFENSE ever to take the field of play, our current "D" has played 1 partial season and many here want to crown them. I want to as well but patience will allow them to actually show their greatness to its full height, thus then a nickname will be born. Beleive me I want our STOUT "D" to continue on and obtain their own identity such as the Steel Curtain / Blitzburgh did in their respective times.

I think over the years all our great defenses have been reffered to as the Steel Curtain as being compared to the BEST but if our current Defense does establish itself as one of the best it's monicur will occur. Blitzburgh is proof of that. If they truly do reach "STEEL CURTAIN" status ( I'd really like them to) then I have no problem using that STEEL CURTAIN designation permenantly but after just one season I'd think we need to give them a chance to establish themselves.

Salute the nation

Last edited:

Stewey

Reaction score
Our 70s STEELERS possess probably the greatest DEFENSE ever to take the field of play, our current "D" has played 1 partial season and many here want to crown them. I want to as well but patience will allow them to actually show their greatness to its full height, thus then a nickname will be born. Beleive me I want our STOUT "D" to continue on and obtain their own identity such as the Steel Curtain / Blitzburgh did in their respective times.

I think over the years all our great defenses have been reffered to as the Steel Curtain as being compared to the BEST but if our current Defense does establish itself as one of the best it's monicur will occur. Blitzburgh is proof of that. If they truly do reach "STEEL CURTAIN" status ( I'd really like them to) then I have no problem using that STEEL CURTAIN designation permenantly but after just one season I'd think we need to give them a chance to establish themselves.

Salute the nation
Fitting that the STEEL CURTAIN being the greatest D to step on the field has the greatest nickname.

The Purple People Eaters..pfffft
The Fearsome Foursome...phooey
Miami's Killer Bees...puhleeze

Everything about this team rocks!

Black and Gold
Black for Badass, Gold for Excellence

The Terrible Towel the most famous sports towel/ fan prop/gimmick/symbol, (whatever you want to call it ) in sports history!

Logo on one side of the helmet is iconic!

Last edited:

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
The Soft in the middle of the field Brigade. I think they'll have a good year. The Steeler Curtain is retired like Joe Greene's Jersey No.75

Hoot

Contributor
Reaction score
our current "D" has played 1 partial season and many here want to crown them. I want to as well but patience will allow them to actually show their greatness to its full height, thus then a nickname will be born. Beleive me I want our STOUT "D"
Salute the nation

oh, i hear ya. i am just havin' a bit of fun. I was the first to say No on Steel Curtain. but, still, fun to see different names that might be. Of course, it will be an organic thing...it will just happen when the time comes. I am just bored as **** with no football. That said... "Stout D" might be a seed of something there (looks at the empty beer bottle on my desk). Iron City D. when we go dime we could call them IC Lite. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I am here all day.

seriously. football needed. this has been the worst offseason ever.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
AWESOME Hoot we're on the same page and I like your suggestions...................lol

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

CharlesDavenport

Reaction score
Fitting that the STEEL CURTAIN being the greatest D to step on the field has the greatest nickname.

The Purple People Eaters..pfffft
The Fearsome Foursome...phooey
Miami's Killer Bees...puhleeze

Everything about this team rocks!

Black and Gold
Black for Badass, Gold for Excellence

The Terrible Towel the most famous sports towel/ fan prop/gimmick/symbol, (whatever you want to call it ) in sports history!

Logo on one side of the helmet is iconic!

It is the greatest, but there were other good ones - Monsters of the Midway, Orange Crush, and I had forgotten about The New York Sack Exchange.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds like energy drinks and gay forplay give me the Steel Curtain 10 out of 10 times! Ohhhh yeahhhhh. [emoji851][emoji16]
It is the greatest, but there were other good ones - Monsters of the Midway, Orange Crush, and I had forgotten about The New York Sack Exchange.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Steeler Nation mobile app

stillerfaninfl

Contributor
Reaction score
The Doomsday Defense was pretty good...... except when they played against the Steel Curtain. :flag:

Reactions: MTC

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Like many here, there just isn't any other nick name that is even close

The STEEL CURTAIN

Anyone oppose.........

RED HOT POKER. Time !!!!

Salute the nation