• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

The Steelers cut Myles Jack

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
This feels a lot like trading one set of mediocre players for another set of slightly younger and cheaper mediocre players at ILB. Here's hoping a serious investment of capital is to come.

The point on scheme is big tho, our ILBs are constantly getting abused in coverage by opposing offenses but I never see our offense doing it. Obviously Canaduh blows, but I don't watch a lot of NFL other than the Steelers...do other teams have ILBs that can cover? Or do most teams not ask their ILBs to cover?
One increases team speed significantly at the position. The other has solid pass rush capability. So for me that gives the team a better chance at splash plays while being solid run defenders. Jack had injury/production concerns when he came aboard it was a risk but a possible high reward. These two have less of those concerns as there wasn't drop offs in production.

Better to try and fail that not try at all.

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
Draft mazi smith at 32 you want to run a speed base 3-3-5 you need a big clogger that can also move well for a ng and ika can’t nor can cobourn

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
It feels like the Steelers are reacting differently: Get Peterson, let Sutton walk. Less money. Sign Holcomb, let Jack off. Less money.
Methodical.
Other than the silly WJIII crap from last year, this is a reasonable progression to clear cap space for more/better talent.
It would be great to if they take more steps at OL/DL/ILB/CB/WR before the draft, or if they do the sign cheap vet QB, drop Mitch soon.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Modern ILB is tricky. guys who can run with Travis Kelce and take on Derek Henry don't exactly grow on trees. Back in the day you had your inside guys on hook/ curl. In man they spied the running back. Now its they add we add man If their add is a quick tight end or worse a slot. Good F'kn luck.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
We don't run a base 3-4 much anymore. I want to say it was only 40% but i can't remember exactly. Most of the time we run some sort of nickel. I thought Robinson showed some potential so along with the new signings we should be alright. I remember a few games that i had to double check Jack was even playing. Just seemed to disappear

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
Timmons and Shazier were physical freaks… and Vince williams was just a solid starter… but ever since they tweaked the DL to get more pressure and asked the ilbs to be way more like safeties, the ilbs have been lackluster and we have gone through tons… bush, bostic, Fort, shobert, Jack… not even counting the mid draft capital that didn’t pan out like Spence and Buddy
So maybe asking LBs to cover athletic TEs and WRs is a mistake in philosophy

We seem t
It's a combination of scheme, coaching, not prioritizing position, not giving a strong line in front of them, etc.

Maybe it's time for a change of leadership.
Absolutely no “Maybe” about it
It’s been overdue for awhile

xjx

Reaction score
Tomlin didn't know how to use him properly so he blamed him for sucking and he cut him.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Jack was worth the move last year but his production did not match his cap hit. It was a move they needed to make.
They was hoping he would bounce back but like Bush never got to the level he once was. It is a shame I liked his younger version...

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I think I need more alcohol to decipher this…
He is referencing Mazi's athleticism compared to the other mentioned NTs. That you could keep him on the field in a 3-3-5 look.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Anywho here is a nice eye opener for yinz, enjoy

From everything I've gathered from the two ILB signings, they may not be particularly strong in coverage but they are both great in the locker room and good against the run. This is a position that feels like needs another role player who is stronger in coverage, not a high draft pick (unless it's Jack Campbell).

Avoid_Lloyd

Reaction score
Modern ILB is tricky. guys who can run with Travis Kelce and take on Derek Henry don't exactly grow on trees. Back in the day you had your inside guys on hook/ curl. In man they spied the running back. Now its they add we add man If their add is a quick tight end or worse a slot. Good F'kn luck.

Agreed, I think there are only so many Saziers, or even poor mans versions if him out there. We either need to hit on one in this draft or they need to scheme around this problem, too bad Tomlin isn't exactly the king of innovation

ianv2012

Reaction score
Agreed, I think there are only so many Saziers, or even poor mans versions if him out there. We either need to hit on one in this draft or they need to scheme around this problem, too bad Tomlin isn't exactly the king of innovation
Well I mean Tomlin was ahead of the game when we took Shazier as high as we did. Those hyper athletic middle guys weren't a big thing yet, the big knock on Shazier coming out was he's undersized and built like a safety. The Steelers were ahead of the curve on the playing less base defense and more nickel and dime

warriors42

Forefather
Reaction score
I remember the old days where we were a LB factory. seemed like anyone that played LB'er for us was a stud. damn I miss those days.

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I remember the old days where we were a LB factory. seemed like anyone that played LB'er for us was a stud. damn I miss those days.
Coincidentally, it seemed to start the decline with the departure of one Dick LeBeau. Tomlin took over in Minnesota and was hired before he could truly take over that D and make it his own. If he had a few more years as DC, I honestly believe that D would have gone in the *******. Kind of like once AR2 allowed the training wheels to be removed.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
They had very good talent, but guys like Casey Hampton, Aaron Smith, Kimo von Oelhoffen, Brett Keisel, Joel Steed, etc. over the years sure helped.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Timmons and Shazier were physical freaks… and Vince williams was just a solid starter… but ever since they tweaked the DL to get more pressure and asked the ilbs to be way more like safeties, the ilbs have been lackluster and we have gone through tons… bush, bostic, Fort, shobert, Jack… not even counting the mid draft capital that didn’t pan out like Spence and Buddy
Yeah. If Shazier didn’t have that career ender. This system the run now would not be talked about.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
So you’re drunk already…nice!!!

slash has a very extensive know-how in translation technique and philosophy degree in digital social physconomics.

To date there is ONLY one poster that gives him a little trouble and that’s our residence Coach.

Salute the nation