• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

The Top 3 Troy Polamalu Plays

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
With the legendary Pittsburgh Steeler Troy Polamalu announcing Dick LeBeau to be his speaker at his Hall of Fame enshrinement, Steeler Nation pondered on his greatness and it all brought back memories. From jumping snap counts, making clutch interceptions, or showing off his superhuman instinct to blow up offense’s plays, Troy’s career was a highlight reel we can all appreciate. Today, I look at my top 3 plays of his career that stuck out the most.

thestrip_original.jpg

Credit: Bleacher Report

3. 2010 Strip Sack vs Ravens on SNF​

Picture it… The Steelers-Ravens at the peak of its rivalry. The Ravens had already beaten the Steelers in Heinz Field. This game was for control of the AFC North race. The Steelers couldn’t afford to beat swept. With a Steelers offense that had struggled all night (Ben Roethlisberger’s broken nose said it all), the Ravens needed just a few more first downs to ice the game… and control of the AFC North for the first time since 2006.

Then, seemingly out of nowhere, you saw the Head and Shoulders insured hair creep up to the line of scrimmage. Almost simultaneously, the ball is snapped and Polamalu flew into the backfield untouched. Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco tried to get the ball out to his right but was too late—Polamalu swiped the ball out of his grasp from his blind side. Steelers recover and three plays later, the Steelers took the lead and never let up.

Credit: USA Today

Credit: USA Today

2. The one-handed interception(s) 2008/2009​

Sorry, I know I tried to only look at 3 specific plays, but how can you not include all three of these?? Troy had a knack for making plays that awed the fans but were simply expected by his teammates. In 2008, he had two one-handed picks that were snatched off of a tipped pass *inches* before it hit the turf. In 2009 he traumatized Titans WR Kenny Britt by fighting through an obvious OPI and reeled in a one-handed pick. These plays were all incredible displays of his athleticism. Seriously. I don’t know many capable of making these types of plays.

polamalu0112-1570023943.jpg

Credit: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

1. The 2008 AFC Championship Pick-6​

4th quarter. Steelers up only 16-14. What a great story the Ravens had in their hands. A rookie head coach and quarterback with a chance to beat their rivals after being bullied by them all day—and all season. Flacco could be the man to send the Ravens back to the Super Bowl for the first time in 8 years. The crowd is anxious but rocking on 3rd and 13 with 4:40 to go. Flacco takes the snap, the rush comes in… throws it to his right… and as Jim Nantz commentates:

“Picked off Polamalu!

Polamlu going right, the field is open!

Aaron Smith shields Flacco, Polamalu takes it home!

Super Bowl 43! Pittsburgh might be bound for thanks to number 43!”

Legendary.

p1bydnsbl4pdtsz9rrte.jpg

Credit: Steelers.com

Honorable Mention: Super Polamalu​

This one is personal. It was my first Steelers game ever. I was in the corner of the end zone and saw Titans quarterback Kerry Collins go to the line of scrimmage. Troy crept up… and flew over the top as the ball was snapped. Everyone was in disbelief. He wasn’t flagged and put Kerry on the ground. Even Kerry was stunned. As Solomon Wilcox said in the broadcast… You can’t coach that!

What are some of your favorite moments from Troy Polamalu? Comment below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
That pick 6 was the kind of stuff you dream about as a kid. I probably popped a blood vessel screaming and jumping around like a nut on that play.

Those 3 plays I'll never forget, two of them I've never seen anyone else do. What amazing athletic ability.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
I was at those games in Nashville, which included Troy stuffing Chris Johnson for a loss on one of his iconic blitzes. On each play the TEN fans next to me just shook their heads or were awestruck. I remember one very upset fan screaming “how do you game plan against that? Our coaches are idiots running a play towards him…” LOL, sounds like every fan who doesnt like the coaches on their team. Could it be the player makes an outstanding athletic feat on that given play call? I knew elderly Steeler fans when I was a kid and they despised CLE. But they all admitted Jim Brown was the best player they ever saw.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
He was the player that convinced my MIL that she really was a Steelers fan. Sure miss him out there. Took me a while to forgive cool shades for not inviting him back.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
He was the player that convinced my MIL that she really was a Steelers fan. Sure miss him out there. Took me a while to forgive cool shades for not inviting him back.
A player like that shouldnt get "retired" Our coaches should have been able to figure out how to use what skills he had left. I know he couldnt be the Troy we all loved but he still could have been a valuable part of our defense.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
A player like that shouldnt get "retired" Our coaches should have been able to figure out how to use what skills he had left. I know he couldnt be the Troy we all loved but he still could have been a valuable part of our defense.

PART of Troy's exit was he was frustrated with the coaching staff, mostly what the Head Coach was allowing certain players to do. I don't want to focus on any of that but it was a piece of his departure.

ALL above post(s) in this thread are GREAT examples of TROY's greatness and character. He was always so humble in accepting praise and acolades. He had a true sense to family and game. He was the absolutely best at what he did. Ed Reed, a rival didn't have anything on Troy as troy was by far a better athlete and didn't just sit there in the backfield waiting to make a grab. TROY's altering of opposing offenses created havoc before the game even began due to how do you game plan him

I for one am awaiting his HOF celebration and speaches, can't wait.

Salute the nation.

steelerscotty

Contributor
Reaction score
One of my favorite Troy plays happened on a Monday night VS the Colts. Manning was out injured. Troy came from the front side and jumped in the air with hands up forcing the QB (Painter?) to hold the ball. When Troy's feet hit the turf, Debo strip-sacked the QB from behind as he was bringing the ball up to throw. Troy picked up the ball and retuned it for a TD.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
An athletic play by Troy was vs the eagles. 2008.
Gets blocked by a lineman but still manages to catch Desean Jackson on the screen. With his back turned

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
An athletic play by Troy was vs the eagles. 2008.
Gets blocked by a lineman but still manages to catch Desean Jackson on the screen. With his back turned

Thanks MTC, I remeber that play but still love watching the video you posted again and again !!!

TROY is AWESOME !!!!

Salute the nation

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
Nobody else is going to say this one but...

In 2005 AFCCG...when Troy just came out of nowhere to break up the Broncos run behind the line of scrimmage....

At that point I just knew we were going to Super Bowl. All those AFCCG losses & they cruised to win this one ... finally

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Nobody else is going to say this one but...

In 2005 AFCCG...when Troy just came out of nowhere to break up the Broncos run behind the line of scrimmage....

At that point I just knew we were going to Super Bowl. All those AFCCG losses & they cruised to win this one ... finally
that is actually one of the ones I thought of...it looked like clear sailing for the bronco RB and then there was a flash of waving hair and the guy was on the ground

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
probably my favorite one was the INT that he was robbed of, in that divisional playoff game win in Indy during the 2005-06 playoffs. still chaps my *** that they took that incredible INT away from him.

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
pick 6 on Succo in the AFC Steelership.

The matrix tackle on Chris Johnson. Literally in 2 places at once and destroys the fastest man in the NFL...well...second fastest, lol.

His 1st pick 6 where he intercepts his ex-college roommate, Carlson Palmer and then runs him over for the score...this could actually be his greatest play. The runback was ridiculous. His coming out party.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
pick 6 on Succo in the AFC Steelership.

The matrix tackle on Chris Johnson. Literally in 2 places at once and destroys the fastest man in the NFL...well...second fastest, lol.

His 1st pick 6 where he intercepts his ex-college roommate, Carlson Palmer and then runs him over for the score...this could actually be his greatest play. The runback was ridiculous. His coming out party.

Wasn't that the game where TIMMONS hit Cris Johnson so ******* hard he was slowed the rest of his carreer, wasn't the same after that his. Not taking anything away from TROY but other players fed of him and this would be an example.

Salute the nation

Steelmann

Reaction score
One of my best life decisions was to fall in love as a 10 year old boy with the black & gold in the early 70’s. With all the greats this team has had I offer a word I rarely use, comes to mind for Troy. Privilege. What an absolute privilege it was to have watched basically every play that man made with the Steelers. If there was any player I would want one of my boys to emulate on or off the field it would be Troy.

I have never to this day heard any stadium erupt the way Heinz Field did @ Troy’s pick 6.
Of course I may be a little biased.

Steelmann

Reaction score
probably my favorite one was the INT that he was robbed of, in that divisional playoff game win in Indy during the 2005-06 playoffs. still chaps my *** that they took that incredible INT away from him.
Omar...... they took one of the greatest athletic plays in SB history away from him. Agree completely.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
One of my best life decisions was to fall in love as a 10 year old boy with the black & gold in the early 70’s. With all the greats this team has had I offer a word I rarely use, comes to mind for Troy. Privilege. What an absolute privilege it was to have watched basically every play that man made with the Steelers. If there was any player I would want one of my boys to emulate on or off the field it would be Troy.

I have never to this day heard any stadium erupt the way Heinz Field did @ Troy’s pick 6.
Of course I may be a little biased.
As a grown man. I only look up to my pops and to some degree my gym owner. But Troy and Sid are two athletes whose demeanor in general also gave me a sense of bettering myself. Troy was always humble and trained in uncanny ways. His faith is something that I respected. Seeing Sid mature and do some amazing feats on the hockey side and the fact he values a sense of privacy.

In a loopy *** world. It is a privilege to have these guys at times

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
some links to youtube on the OP would be great