• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

The two bridge QBs I'd be interested in

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
His life and MORE blame. I can see BEN just stepping back and flipping Coach Tomlin / Canada the bird unless assurances are made of OL and play calling.

Salute the nation
Not sure if my point was clear. It would cost a substantial amount to bring back Ben. To those who think Carr and Jimmy G are to expensive. And honestly the offense would be better off.

diver

Reaction score
My point with Trubisky or Minshew is I don't think they will cost as nearly much as the other two mentioned. If you want to rebuild the roster, why would you hamstring yourself with another high priced QB? The consensus here is it is going to take some time to fix things, the roster is lacking overall, Garrapollo nor Carr is going to get you there any more than a cheaper guy would.

21STEELERS21

21 is my IQ
Reaction score
Any QB looking for an opportunity to start would be interested in the Steelers. They need to fix o-line, but doubt its a major consideration for any guy who wants to
be a starting QB.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone here really believe Garrapolo could survive AFC North football? Not a chance. Carr yes, but I wouldn't give up picks. Since Mayock was fired, the guy who stood behind him when Gruden didn’t, Carr may want a change of scenery and demand his release or a favorable trade. If he’s a FA, he would be a target. Getting Trubisky on a modest deal would be beneficial and be the better bridge to the next QB than Haskins easily. Still, would like to see what Mason could do without all the questions thrown at him. If he gets a solid line, he has a good RB and talented stable of WR, maybe he could be like Tanneyhill is to TEN. Unless the FO really likes Pickett or Howell, as some of the writers are saying. Mariota is a option, except he’s injury prone. Has been his entire career. He definitely not a fit in the AFCN.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure if my point was clear. It would cost a substantial amount to bring back Ben. To those who think Carr and Jimmy G are to expensive. And honestly the offense would be better off.

I was throwing sarcasm............................................................ Your point was very clear

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone here really believe Garrapolo could survive AFC North football? Not a chance. Carr yes, but I wouldn't give up picks. Since Mayock was fired, the guy who stood behind him when Gruden didn’t, Carr may want a change of scenery and demand his release or a favorable trade. If he’s a FA, he would be a target. Getting Trubisky on a modest deal would be beneficial and be the better bridge to the next QB than Haskins easily. Still, would like to see what Mason could do without all the questions thrown at him. If he gets a solid line, he has a good RB and talented stable of WR, maybe he could be like Tanneyhill is to TEN. Unless the FO really likes Pickett or Howell, as some of the writers are saying. Mariota is a option, except he’s injury prone. Has been his entire career. He definitely not a fit in the AFCN.

You're right on whether Jimmy G. could survive the AFCN, toughest "physical" division in football, note the steelers & ravens have died down though. It just gives more credence to BEN and his toughness of survival.

Good point Ike, I enjoy your post(s).

Salute the nation

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I think Ben had a good story-book ending to his career. He beat the Browns at home, the Ravens on the road to advance to the playoffs,and while they got demolished vs the Chiefs, his last play was a throw to a TE trying to bull his way into the EZ and it ended on the 2 or 3 yardline.

It's time for Ben & the Steelers to move on.

I tend to agree that there isn't much point in spending a ton of money on a QB. (Frankly, I don't even see the logic in spending a moderate amount of money on a QB right now.) Build up the lines. Improve your MLB situation and find at least ONE corner that can improve your play/depth.

Spend the year letting Canada figure out what an OC is supposed to do. Maybe he does better next year, maybe he doesn't. But if at any level you believe he may not do well next year absolutely DO NOT spend money on a QB who will waste cap space, contract money and his health while Canada continues to call an offense WORSE THAN RANDY FICHTNER. Consider that. Randy was better. Terrifying thought and some folks what to spend the entire cap on a ******* QB?

Nope. Finally give Mason (or Haskins) the opportunity to demonstrate if they have a future. Worst case, the team is in a position to potentially draft more foundational pieces (perhaps even a long-term or franchise QB) next season. Best case, Mason or Haskins plays well and we have a guy we can go with until a better QB option arises. Realistic case, Mason/Haskins plays just well enough to give themselves some trade or compensatory value.

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
Jimmy G perfect 1-2 year bridge solution say the future QB you have drafted is Corrall Willis or Ridder.
via OT Brown JR if KC doesn't pay him, I wouldn't chase Armstead of the Saints for 15 mill a year because I feel Green has similar traits and only will get better and if he has a more mobile QB would benefit him.
C if they can add a stable one with proven experience at C then sure and you can just move Green to RG. RT either via rnd 2-4 depending on after the SR bowl and pro day where Willis Ridder and Corrall are projected and assessed by scouts.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
My bad. Canadian apology.

No worries SIR, keep your great anologies coming as I like your coaching perspective on things. I like the Canadian touch knowing that I've enjoyed your country every time i've been there.

There is a tree cutter up there named Paul but I don't think he has a blue Ox....................

Salute the nation

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
No worries SIR, keep your great anologies coming as I like your coaching perspective on things. I like the Canadian touch knowing that I've enjoyed your country every time i've been there.

There is a tree cutter up there named Paul but I don't think he has a blue Ox....................

Salute the nation
Where I am there are just a lot of fellow rednecks.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Are basically the same guy with different names. Carr or Goropolo. They are both in the exact same situation. They both could win you a game or lose you one. I think both teams are moving on and the price if there is one will be right. I'd say if no offers it will be some salary UFA. If you have to give capital the Raiders or 9ers will be eating salary. My preference is sink or swim with Rudolph. But if they are going for a guy for me it would be one of these two.
Rudy and Dwayne cost less...

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Rudy and Dwayne cost less...

True, but if the Steelers get either Trubisky or Mariota, they cut one of the two so the $$ difference is going to be maybe an additional $4-5 million for a total salary to the FA around $8 million. However, I wonder if those guys are willing to sign a one-year "prove it" contract.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
True, but if the Steelers get either Trubisky or Mariota, they cut one of the two so the $$ difference is going to be maybe an additional $4-5 million for a total salary to the FA around $8 million.
But they're #2 & #3 now. If they get a new #1, why would they cut their #2 and/or #3?

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
I would go with Minshew or Fitzpatrick if he is healthy and doesn't retire. Mitch seems to have the physical tools, but something is missing

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
I think Ben had a good story-book ending to his career. He beat the Browns at home, the Ravens on the road to advance to the playoffs,and while they got demolished vs the Chiefs, his last play was a throw to a TE trying to bull his way into the EZ and it ended on the 2 or 3 yardline.

It's time for Ben & the Steelers to move on.

I tend to agree that there isn't much point in spending a ton of money on a QB. (Frankly, I don't even see the logic in spending a moderate amount of money on a QB right now.) Build up the lines. Improve your MLB situation and find at least ONE corner that can improve your play/depth.

Spend the year letting Canada figure out what an OC is supposed to do. Maybe he does better next year, maybe he doesn't. But if at any level you believe he may not do well next year absolutely DO NOT spend money on a QB who will waste cap space, contract money and his health while Canada continues to call an offense WORSE THAN RANDY FICHTNER. Consider that. Randy was better. Terrifying thought and some folks what to spend the entire cap on a ******* QB?

Nope. Finally give Mason (or Haskins) the opportunity to demonstrate if they have a future. Worst case, the team is in a position to potentially draft more foundational pieces (perhaps even a long-term or franchise QB) next season. Best case, Mason or Haskins plays well and we have a guy we can go with until a better QB option arises. Realistic case, Mason/Haskins plays just well enough to give themselves some trade or compensatory value.
Wig here encapsulates what would probably be the FO mindset. Nice summation. I wouldn't be surprised if more cap space is spent on a FA C like Nick Martin, Ted Karras, Ben Jones or even Jason Kelce than any QB. Finding a FA ILB also as Wig said would be a smart. Stealing Anthony Walker from CLE would be a nice prize. But definitely draft linemen on both side of the ball. Tribusky is probably the safest FA QB and getting a one year deal to see if he can beat out Mason and Haskins would be a win for him. However, I have no confidence with Canada as OC calling plays. We really have t seen his full offense except for the 3 years at NC State and the single years at Pitt, LSU and Maryland. It may have had success with college defenses, but NFL defenses are a class above in complexity.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Wig here encapsulates what would probably be the FO mindset. Nice summation. I wouldn't be surprised if more cap space is spent on a FA C like Nick Martin, Ted Karras, Ben Jones or even Jason Kelce than any QB. Finding a FA ILB also as Wig said would be a smart. Stealing Anthony Walker from CLE would be a nice prize. But definitely draft linemen on both side of the ball. Tribusky is probably the safest FA QB and getting a one year deal to see if he can beat out Mason and Haskins would be a win for him. However, I have no confidence with Canada as OC calling plays. We really have t seen his full offense except for the 3 years at NC State and the single years at Pitt, LSU and Maryland. It may have had success with college defenses, but NFL defenses are a class above in complexity.
Yeah without Ben fixing Canada's fails. That O would look pretty horrific. They have to let that guy go.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah without Ben fixing Canada's fails. That O would look pretty horrific. They have to let that guy go.
To be fair, the OL did offer problems with implementing his scheme. But OC are supposed to work with players they have and not want. All these Jet sweeps and bubble screens or passes out at 2.5 seconds, or off tackle designed runs because the line wasn’t experienced enough to mitigate the blocking scheme Canada wanted, of which Ben suffered. I’m no where near qualified to call plays as a coordinator but I do know from coaches everywhere saying you find what you do well and scheme around it. North/South bulldozer blocking sets the tone, and doesn’t over complicate the scheme. They were successful with it on a dozen drives and the players said they preferred it. Do that then, with Harris back there, Ben gains an extra 2-3 seconds on play action. Thus increasing his passing spots to down the middle instead of only outside the numbers and quick slants.

Gildong Sack

Reaction score
1. Carr's salary will keep us from trading for him

2. Jimmy G's salary will keep us from trading for him

As i've said before... if we are to entertain the thought of getting any decent QB off the FA heap, we better beef up the OL first and make the position enticing. No one wants to get their *** kicked in for 17 games.
Do you remember how Ben would scramble around and make a play when we had a ****** O-line around 2007-8? This is a repeat of that. If you got a QB who can run the naked bootleg, or call his own number because he is a running threat it changes the whole dynamic. Yeah, the O-line is not too good, but if you can keep the D on its heels it's a different story.

stuntmanmike

Contributor
Reaction score
Trubisky reminds me of another qb we signed years ago that also played for the bears Mikey tomczak… if he gave us what Mikey did that’d be great! I always thought bears didnt use trubisky right… he was a good running qb that was perfect for rpo offense… use a simple offense like the packers and trubisky probably do ok but a big grandiose offense with a thousand plays twice as many options he’ll fail. I like packers offense they have like one pass play “throw it to 17” they threw it to 17 170 times! He caught 123 thats like 75% completes. they power run just to keep defenses honest. Nothing fancy, with the rules its impossible to stop a good physical receiver like adams. Sign trubisky, run a little rpo, hand off to Harris, throw to claypool 170 times! a line of DMoore, Big Dot, hass at center, green at RG and haeg at RT Muth at TE and a juju at wr #2 and watt at fullback rotate with ray ray on pass downs I’d take my chances with Trubisky. This team has talent no excuse for this offense to be so ******.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Do you remember how Ben would scramble around and make a play when we had a ****** O-line around 2007-8? This is a repeat of that. If you got a QB who can run the naked bootleg, or call his own number because he is a running threat it changes the whole dynamic. Yeah, the O-line is not too good, but if you can keep the D on its heels it's a different story.
and you've not begun to tell why anyone would willingly come to Pittsburgh, knowing they'll lose teeth, may get hurt worse than they have elsewhere and likely lose more games, too.