• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

The Unqualified OC Gameplan.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I am utterly unqualified to make any suggestions about how the offense should be run. I never played past high school and was in no way extraordinary or particularly schooled in the game.

That said, I have an *******, and thus I'm like everyone else and can share my opinion, faulty as it may be. I invite you to do the same.

A) I'd play SO much more I formation with Watt. Sure, it would make for a hardcore, grinding run game and you may lose some opportunities for "splash plays" as the defense would really start keying on those inside runs, but just imagine the play-action opportunities that would arise late in the 1st or in the 2nd quarter.

B) As a "companion" tweak on the first wrinkle, I'd run some play-action. In fact, I might even run a LOT of play action. I'd even run it two ways. Fake the handoff and throw, then fake the throw and hand off a draw. I would force the defense to wonder as often as possible what the heck I was going to do.

C) I'd throw to Muth and Gentry over the middle until they stop me. I'd target routes between 8 and 15 yards, clear out the middle with Johnson and Claypool and I'd just hammer the safeties and linebackers with the TE until they started heavily rotating coverage to the middle. That's when I look deeper with Claypool or Washington.

D) At this point, I am starting to like the "LeVeon Bell blocking scheme." Just fire out, blast the man in front of you and try to push him back a yard or two. Then let Watt and Harris or Snell pick a lane and get what they can. With good vision, they break a decent gain, without, the line has still teed off and smacked somebody in the face, adding to the tough "grinding" nature we're trying to build.

E) I love Johnson on slants. Work in at least a couple plays were the TEs have drawn attention in the middle and have them clear out underneath by running 12-15 yard routes and dump to Johnson on a quick slant. Have Muth and Gentry block a trail or two and see what Diontae can do with some open field running.

F) I would keep an eye on the outside corners and see how they're playing. If I get an opportunity for single coverage, I send Washington or Claypool deep on a jailbreak fly route. If the CB's hips turn, I have Ben do one of his famous pump fakes and then I have him launch a come-back so Washington or Claypool can turn and catch underneath the CB or draw the penalty as the DB tries to play back through him. If the CB doesn't turn his hips and stays even with the receiver, Ben has the option to trust the player to make a contested catch or look for Najee as a dump-off in the area vacated by the Corner/safety.

I would focus on a really balanced run/pass ratio to help keep the defense honest in their coverage and I'd sporadically go no-huddle when I get a good matchup against their defense and just keep them on the field for a bit. I wouldn't just go no huddle when I need to save my ***, I'd run it "randomly" based on personnel and what advantages we might have.

And I'd tell all y'all "**** YOU" when you call for me to be fired.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
I am utterly unqualified to make any suggestions about how the offense should be run. I never played past high school and was in no way extraordinary or particularly schooled in the game.

That said, I have an *******, and thus I'm like everyone else and can share my opinion, faulty as it may be. I invite you to do the same.

A) I'd play SO much more I formation with Watt. Sure, it would make for a hardcore, grinding run game and you may lose some opportunities for "splash plays" as the defense would really start keying on those inside runs, but just imagine the play-action opportunities that would arise late in the 1st or in the 2nd quarter.

B) As a "companion" tweak on the first wrinkle, I'd run some play-action. In fact, I might even run a LOT of play action. I'd even run it two ways. Fake the handoff and throw, then fake the throw and hand off a draw. I would force the defense to wonder as often as possible what the heck I was going to do.

C) I'd throw to Muth and Gentry over the middle until they stop me. I'd target routes between 8 and 15 yards, clear out the middle with Johnson and Claypool and I'd just hammer the safeties and linebackers with the TE until they started heavily rotating coverage to the middle. That's when I look deeper with Claypool or Washington.

D) At this point, I am starting to like the "LeVeon Bell blocking scheme." Just fire out, blast the man in front of you and try to push him back a yard or two. Then let Watt and Harris or Snell pick a lane and get what they can. With good vision, they break a decent gain, without, the line has still teed off and smacked somebody in the face, adding to the tough "grinding" nature we're trying to build.

E) I love Johnson on slants. Work in at least a couple plays were the TEs have drawn attention in the middle and have them clear out underneath by running 12-15 yard routes and dump to Johnson on a quick slant. Have Muth and Gentry block a trail or two and see what Diontae can do with some open field running.

F) I would keep an eye on the outside corners and see how they're playing. If I get an opportunity for single coverage, I send Washington or Claypool deep on a jailbreak fly route. If the CB's hips turn, I have Ben do one of his famous pump fakes and then I have him launch a come-back so Washington or Claypool can turn and catch underneath the CB or draw the penalty as the DB tries to play back through him. If the CB doesn't turn his hips and stays even with the receiver, Ben has the option to trust the player to make a contested catch or look for Najee as a dump-off in the area vacated by the Corner/safety.

I would focus on a really balanced run/pass ratio to help keep the defense honest in their coverage and I'd sporadically go no-huddle when I get a good matchup against their defense and just keep them on the field for a bit. I wouldn't just go no huddle when I need to save my ***, I'd run it "randomly" based on personnel and what advantages we might have.

I think you are better qualified to be the OC than either Tomlin or Canada.

I say run the no huddle a lot. It's Ben's forte, and defenses hate it.

bkwheat28

Reaction score
Wig, I agree. Sadly I think my 8 year old daughter can agree. That’s what’s so frustrating. It’s basic fundamental football even amateur arm chair quarterbacks can see but people in the actual position can’t. It’s like they make it complicated for the sake of complication. I know the game has evolved but like I said in another thread yesterday there IS a place for big nasty nose tackles and I also think there IS a place for old school throwback fullbacks and I formations. Hell if everyone is gravitating to the “new” nfl wouldn’t it stand to reason that throwing in some old smash mouth running could play to your advantage if the majority of inside linebackers are the smaller faster breed of covering people down field?

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
When we had the ball inside the 10 late in the game, I was thinking just run it 3 times, let them use their timeouts and maybe we get a TD. They brought Watt in on 1st down. I was thinking, sweet! Power football. Then they had him swing outside before the play and Najee was stuffed for a loss. Watt was completely out of the play. I couldn't believe they brought him in just to do that. If you bring him in, use him. The dude can block.

SteelerinMD

Unleashing Mediocrity Since 1/22/07
Forefather
Reaction score
I agree with you. I would also like to see Washington/Miller used, most teams are not rolling coverage nor worried about who is defending. Use them not as a decoy but send them loose a few times. Hate that Ray Ray is that guy. Watt needs to be used more, even if he lines up as an extra TE. Hell, the Ravens have 3 in the back field at time with Jackson. They play a FB and RB with their RB Jackson

Now what if we hired WIG as DC?

Last edited:

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
When we had the ball inside the 10 late in the game, I was thinking just run it 3 times, let them use their timeouts and maybe we get a TD. They brought Watt in on 1st down. I was thinking, sweet! Power football. Then they had him swing outside before the play and Najee was stuffed for a loss. Watt was completely out of the play. I couldn't believe they brought him in just to do that. If you bring him in, use him. The dude can block.
I commented on the same thing in the game thread. Why bring Watt in and move him to the edge and THEN have Najee slam into a wall of humanity in the middle? It's like the OC said "You want Watt? **** You, here's Watt."

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I think you need to run the no-huddle sporadically. Ultimately the No-Huddle is flawed in that you only have a handful of plays you can call and a good defense will eventually get the upper hand.

However, you SHOULD run it now and then throughout the game to keep the defense off-balance, and ideally a little tired. Say you get a 3rd and short and you want to go heavy with just Claypool, Muth and Perhaps Gentry so you can power through a short yardage first. Get it and IMMEDIATELy go no-huddle to keep the big uglies on the field and start working routes with Claypool and Muth. Occasionally flare Harris out to a slot and put him in a route for a mismatch. With Watt in there, you may find you still have the ability in that formation to do some power running. Run the No-huddle for a few sets of 1sts downs if you can get them and consider making a personnel change when you get closer to the red-zone. By then, hopefully you've made the big uglies on defense log 8 or so extra high-energy snaps and that may contribute later in the game.

Basically, DON'T just use the No-Huddle to save your ***. Make the defense think about it and plan for it. Then it becomes THEIR problem not just the last 3 minutes of a half, but all week.

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
I commented on the same thing in the game thread. Why bring Watt in and move him to the edge and THEN have Najee slam into a wall of humanity in the middle? It's like the OC said "You want Watt? **** You, here's Watt."
they have used Watt to block on the sweeps. I know when Ebron scored on his one rushing attempt Watt was out on the edge and threw a key block to get Ebron the score.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I think you need to run the no-huddle sporadically. Ultimately the No-Huddle is flawed in that you only have a handful of plays you can call and a good defense will eventually get the upper hand.

However, you SHOULD run it now and then throughout the game to keep the defense off-balance, and ideally a little tired. Say you get a 3rd and short and you want to go heavy with just Claypool, Muth and Perhaps Gentry so you can power through a short yardage first. Get it and IMMEDIATELy go no-huddle to keep the big uglies on the field and start working routes with Claypool and Muth. Occasionally flare Harris out to a slot and put him in a route for a mismatch. With Watt in there, you may find you still have the ability in that formation to do some power running. Run the No-huddle for a few sets of 1sts downs if you can get them and consider making a personnel change when you get closer to the red-zone. By then, hopefully you've made the big uglies on defense log 8 or so extra high-energy snaps and that may contribute later in the game.

Basically, DON'T just use the No-Huddle to save your ***. Make the defense think about it and plan for it. Then it becomes THEIR problem not just the last 3 minutes of a half, but all week.
In years past they apparently had over 100 plays they could call in the no-huddle and Ben even drew some up in the dirt. This year they just started implementing the no-huddle again a few weeks ago after Canada completely neutered it from the offense. That is still one of the dumbest things he could have ever done and Tomlin let him do it. Running the 2-minute drill with only a few plays the O-coordinator calls from the sidelines is just not the same as Ben calling the plays himself from the no-huddle/hurry-up offense. It should be in any offense we have whether Ben is the QB or not.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I've been screaming for more shots across the middle all season.
That's crazy talk.
I will say this, sometimes coordinators don't want a QB to throw over the middle as there is a greater likelihood of an interception. (Chan Gailey famously refused to answer why he didn't call for many over-the-middle throws for Stewart. He literally said to the question "I'm not going to answer that.")

However, even the most ardent Ben hater can't believe that the OC has no faith in him throwing 10 to 15 yard routes over the middle of the field. It would dramatically help the run game AND the offense in general if they would work more of the middle of the field.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
they have used Watt to block on the sweeps. I know when Ebron scored on his one rushing attempt Watt was out on the edge and threw a key block to get Ebron the score.
And I have no issue with Watt blocking a sweep or even an off-tackle run.

But if you put him in there at the edge and then call an inside run... You're just trying to be clever and sneaky and with a line that simply hasn't been dominant that's probably not the best use of a guy like Watt.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I've been screaming for more shots across the middle all season.

Are you talking pass plays or taking Tequila shoots off some bikini clad's mid-driff................... I guess both would be "pass" plays............................

Salute the nation

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
I'd think outside the box and do something crazy like run the ball more when playing an opponent with a bad run defense.

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
run some sweeps and counters with Gentry and watt leading to the edge

Skott

Contributor
Reaction score
Ben needs to tell Canada to F off and run his own plays. He has earned the right to play how he wants on his swan song year

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
I'd start by throwing the ball 11+ yards down the field on 3rd-and-10s, and then I'd stop throwing it 30 yards down the field on 3rd-and-2s.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
They desperately need to mix things up early as the production just hasn't been there. Two TEs,Watt, rotate in a T for a TE. Claypool, Najee and Ben. Then run and run often. Mix in over the middle, play action, screens etc... sub in DJ. Vikings aren't good run defenders, so heavy run formations would be a good game plan.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score

Is your ******* bleached and squeeky clean however? That’s how sophisticated rich pompous, jet sweep motion jack arses like Canada differentiate between us mere peasants.

I do like the pump fake idea. I’d utilize that more with DJ rather than Washington though. DJ seems to have better cuts in his routes.

With Muth and Gentry, if it were me it would be quick play action strikes preferably on a quick out route. Utilize that more on a 2nd or 3rd and short. No offensive coordinator seems to utilize TE’s to the outside. Especially if the TE has speed. A lot of defenses never have a defender in the area. Once they commit to the quick outs then use the TE to torch them on a slant or post route

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
On 3rd and X to go, do not allow any throws that are not to receivers beyond X+ 2 yards, especially if Harris is gonna flare out....they have to be beyond the sticks, or clear the area for Harris. It would not hurt Ben to roll out a few times per game, especially in 3rd downs, with the line knowing that the protection has to move....unless they roll into a blitz, this should give more time to get past the sticks, and still allow Ben's improvisation to get 1st downs.

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
On 3rd and X to go, do not allow any throws that are not to receivers beyond X+ 2 yards, especially if Harris is gonna flare out....they have to be beyond the sticks, or clear the area for Harris. It would not hurt Ben to roll out a few times per game, especially in 3rd downs, with the line knowing that the protection has to move....unless they roll into a blitz, this should give more time to get past the sticks, and still allow Ben's improvisation to get 1st downs.
kinda like in hockey,, clear the zone to avoid icing

madinsomniac

Reaction score
I'd think outside the box and do something crazy like run the ball more when playing an opponent with a bad run defense.
and also starting off passing against crappy pass d’s? Lol thats not what we do way too often it seems … got to trick em by playing into their strengths

A lot of this stuff has been epidemic since Tomlin took over

For instance the call for using more fullbacks has been solid since he got here… he had to be talked into not cutting dan krieder his first season, and did cut John kuhn, whom cowher kept the year before as a heir apparent … krieder was gone after that season and kuhn went on to be a 3 time pro bowl fullback for the packers… now arians air coryell system used h backs moreso than fullbacks, but Haley and Canada had a track record of using fullbacks

Im not sure whether its ben or Tomlin that axed the play action and lining up under center but its also something that we just started doing again a bit after years of ignoring it totally…

As for the deep routes, Washington and Claypool slow up for some reason… niether have gotten great separation this season with any consistency… they already are looking for the deep shot more than it seems… our guys just aren’t beating coverage

The no huddle and two minute offense are two separate things, apparently… as foster said the one you only have about 12 plays set for a game… im guessing we don’t play more no huddle because Tomlin loves hos specialized packages and you cant sub… its why we don’t run it as much as we should, I suspect.

I don’t think the offense is a finished product… it’s been severely limited by the oline and inexperience. The offense they are installing is used across the league with plenty of success…

Like ive said before the offense was always going to be a two year turnaround much like arians or haley installing theirs… it just really sucks that Fitchner was so bad that there wasn’t much to build on initially here…

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm just saying... You look at this year's production on offense and it's a bit harder to just "blame Fichtner".