• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Things Im looking for in preseason

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
The opponents are irrelevant. It's preseason. Outside of one's v. One's against a good team tough to get a read. And that is two series and can be a possession down unforced error. But here are some things I want to see in the next three weeks.
1. Improved run defense. I would imagine Larry O. isn't playing but how do the guys like Leal, Bush, Spillane, Adams etc look.
2. Improved run game. When is the back taking contact. Again don't expect Harris to play much. But what does the blocking look like.
3. Does Rudolph or Trubisky seperate themselves clearly. Expect Trubisky. Hope Trubisky. But it is what it is. They need two offensive drive TDs and two to 3 field goal drives plus what they get from the defense to win. May the best man win.
4. Middle of the field pass game was non existent last year. Rb Screen game not rb dump game was non existent for BR's career.
5. Sounds like offense has been abysmal in Seven shots. How does that translate to red zone inside the 10.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I want no injuries and to see what Coach Canada's offense looks like w/o Ben...
No one wants injuries. And score is irrelevant. But unlike the past I think you need to see certain things from this team in preseason. If the run defense is like last year or if there isn't a big improvement in the fit of the QB with the offense they are screwed and are like a 6-8 win team at best.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
No one wants injuries. And score is irrelevant. But unlike the past I think you need to see certain things from this team in preseason. If the run defense is like last year or if there isn't a big improvement in the fit of the QB with the offense they are screwed and are like a 6-8 win team at best.
Did I imply that anyone wanted to see injuries??? And what does 'score' have to do w/ my quoted comment???

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
1) I want to see Canada not look overwhelmed-but not holding my breath…to me he is the biggest hurdle our O will have to overcome this year-let’s see him at least look semi-competent to dangerously average (which would be his ceiling)

He’s got his more mobile QBs-whatcha got Matt

2) Would love to see someone step up and claim the rotational edge rush spot

3) Want to see if the DL truly looks deeper on the field, looks better on paper but how does it translate to the grass

4) Will Dot claim the job or win it by default? Green is not the answer- prove me wrong Green

5) Want to see a young O lineman emerge, don’t give a crap who but if Trent Scott makes the roster we definitely have depth issues cuz he is not an answer

6) Want to see the battle between Gentry and Jace Sternberger

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Did I imply that anyone wanted to see injuries??? And what does 'score' have to do w/ my quoted comment???
I was not trying to be critical of your post if it came across that way. Was trying to emphasize that there needs to be more urgency in these games this year. They cannot rely on BR to get better after the first two or three.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
1. QB Competition
This one is obvious.

2. Cohesion from the offensive line.
So many said the offensive line could not get worse from 2020 to 2021. It did. There are two new starters in the lineup (three if Green wins the RG job) and I hope that is enough, along with progression from Dan Moore, for this line to improve.

3. Progression from 2021
There are a few guys I hope we can see a jump from. Moore and Loudermilk both had some good moments as day 3 rookies and flashed potential to become solid contributors. I hope we can see more from them in the preseason. Witherspoon was terrific down the stretch and the Steelers need him to pickup where he left off. I want Bush to at least show some effort on the field. The Steelers defense is known for being physical and he was as finesse as you could get last season.

4. Wide Receivers
It's hard not to get excited with Pickens and Austin. So much buzz about Pickens being the most talented WR in the draft and Austin's ability to play the outside even at his size. Neither needs to be featured from day one and with Johnson, Claypool, Freiermuth, and Harris all ahead of them in the pecking order, both could carve out some roles as rookies. I'd also love to see Anthony Miller live up to his potential. He'd really help solidify the depth at the position.

5. Rotation/Sub Packages
It will only be a glimpse, but I'm interested to see how they use their subs early on. Who is the first on the field for the defensive line and how will they split up Bush/Spillane? Will the receivers stick to their positions or will they move guys around--I know I'm looking forward to seeing Claypool in the slot. Will Bush be on the field with Jack or will the Steelers bring in a extra safety?

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
1) O'Canada is my biggest concern bar none, bigger than any player / coach / FO / owner / concessions worker / ticket taker / & HOT steelers girls.!

2) Offensive line play, this is big. I need to see that all has improved Dan Moore needs to show some dominance along with Big Dot. Also the new guys at center & right gaurd. It would be nice to see the RT show improvement but I think we have seen his usual.

3) QB play is going to be hard to gauge this first pre-season game due to the level of competition. I JUST hope whoever our guy is........ he shines.

4) Did I mention the severity of O'Canada's improvement, I hope he goes from high school / college to NFL grade OC. Big step but I hope like hell he has more than 15 plays and has become sociable with his players as well as his assistants.

All good from my view

Salute the nation

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
All I want to see is a confident QB that can read a defense, throw with strength and accuracy, and most of all is mobile in and outside the pocket.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
The only way Canada improves is if what the Q does matches what he wants to do better and it works. Clearly in my mind he was given a reprive because Ben was a square peg in a round hole of his offense. According to Ben, Tomlin didn't want him. Colbert didn't want him. So replacing Canada and starting over with a new OC made no sense. However, since Colbert is gone and knew he would be gone the retention of Canada should be squarely Tomlin's responsibility.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
The only way Canada improves is if what the Q does matches what he wants to do better and it works. Clearly in my mind he was given a reprive because Ben was a square peg in a round hole of his offense. According to Ben, Tomlin didn't want him. Colbert didn't want him. So replacing Canada and starting over with a new OC made no sense. However, since Colbert is gone and knew he would be gone the retention of Canada should be squarely Tomlin's responsibility.
Canada being hired in the first place is on Tomlin. He was one of those guys you had to talk yourself into liking the move because Canada only has a so-so track record as an OC.

MeanJim

Forefather
Reaction score
I want to see any QB drop back to pass and have time to go through his progressions... not get hit in less than 2 seconds.
I want to see a 6 or 8 yard run by a running back due to a gaping hole in the defense, not because the running back made a heroic effort after breaking a tackle in the backfield.
I want to see more than 1 or 2 d-linemen on the field on every play.
I want to see inside LBers thump people, not run themselves into traffic or get shoved out of the play.

I don't think any of this is too much to ask, but it has been for a few years.

bkwheat28

Reaction score
I want no injuries and to see what Coach Canada's offense looks like w/o Ben...

I don’t have the like function (don’t know why) but I agree with this.
👍👍👍. Canada has no excuses now that the old man is no longer behind center. I think he did a piss poor job game planning with Ben in there. Now it’s time to put up or shut up. If Ben was really handcuffing him, break out this “unstoppable” offense now he’s gone.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

NO QUESTION ABOUT IT, O'Canada is definitely Tomlin's , even Coach couldn't argue that one.

NEAR Everyone had Ben bent over a rail fence last year claiming innocence for O'Canada when in reality the coaches knew what Ben brought to the table and yet kept a totally opposite OC on staff.

OC is by far the biggest question mark on the team, bar none.

I doubt I'll get to see the game saturday but I will check YouTube later and focus in on the play calling to see what it looks like. I will not judge O'Canada out of the gate but if this offense isn't doing anything by game 4-6 then I say off with the head or just mid-season fire him..

Salute the nation

bkwheat28

Reaction score
NO QUESTION ABOUT IT, O'Canada is definitely Tomlin's , even Coach couldn't argue that one.

NEAR Everyone had Ben bent over a rail fence last year claiming innocence for O'Canada when in reality the coaches knew what Ben brought to the table and yet kept a totally opposite OC on staff.

OC is by far the biggest question mark on the team, bar none.

I doubt I'll get to see the game saturday but I will check YouTube later and focus in on the play calling to see what it looks like. I will not judge O'Canada out of the gate but if this offense isn't doing anything by game 4-6 then I say off with the head or just mid-season fire him..

Salute the nation

Although I agree with you DIC, I don’t think he’ll get canned. I think he’s got at least 1 full year with QB change as “excuse”.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
No way to tell what he was trying to achieve and a little tough to say from the outside. Looked like when it was on script in the first half it couldn't possibly be worse. If they were not the lowest scoring team in the first half I'd like to know who was. But somewhat unfair to say Ben just took over in the second and worked the magic. We are not on the headsets. He could have been part of adjustments. If he was not feels impossible to understand why he is back. 1st halves were God awful.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
OL is the biggest concern. It has to be better just because it can't be worse. I don't expect it to be great though. James Daniel and Mason Cole should be upgrades but they were both free agents available at a reasonable price. Teams don't tend to let OL go for cheap unless they think they aren't that good.

Let's see this magic Canada offense that he claims he couldn't do with Ben. Sure, you have to remove some bootlegs and such but Canada makes it seem like it was impossible to call plays with Ben at QB. That's bullshit. All this misdirection stuff works great in college where defenses only get 20 hours practice per week and they fall for that ****. NFL defenses have seen play action before.

Shanahan's offenses have a lot of misdirection but that isn;t what makes them tough to stop. What makes them tough is they start with great OL play and a run game. Then you build play action passes into that and make them look like the exact same play.

I want them to showcase Miles Boykin in the first preseason game and then trade him. DJ, Claypool, Pickens Austin, and Anthony Miller seem to be locks. That's 5. Gunner Olszewski seems a lock as a special teamer. Would they keep a 7th WR? Get something for Boykin. The Cowboys are decimated at WR right now.

I want a starting QB declared prior to preseason week 2. Ben didn't need preseason snaps and that allowed more reps for backups. This year the starter needs plenty of reps.

I want Devin Bush to look like he's played LB before. The first depth chart has the starter listed as Bush OR Spillane. Bush has no injury excuses this year. The fact that a top 10 pick can't clearly beat out an undrafted guy is concerning.

I'm interested in the backup RB situation. McFarland has battled injuries. If he can stay healthy, he brings a speed element that no other RB on the team brings.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
A good Oline can cover up for Canada somewhat so I would put Oline play #1.

Need to get defenses to back up at the line. Cant run, cant throw short passes etc etc when the D is all over the line

No gimmick defensive fronts. Cant rely on Minkah to be tackling RBs 15 yrds downfield. Coaches need to look at breakdowns of plays vs our 1-2 DL fronts.

Tough comp at WR. Chase, DJ, and Pickens are locks. Austin is pretty much a lock. Miller seemed to be in the doghouse I am hoping he gets a shot at least. Im not too high on Boykin so I could see him not making it

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The O will still be vanilla as can be. They won't put whatever Canada has planned in for the preseason - at least not much of it. Just get through with no major injuries and find a few diamonds. We need one of the UDFA's to bump McFarland and Snell off the team unless those two magically made a huge leap.

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
Very simple. I want to not be able to call the play from my couch with 90% certainty simply based on personnel and formation. I want to see creativity and better flow from play calling and far less telegraphing of what's coming. This failure as much as anything makes the run game grind to a halt and forces quick short throws while making the line look far worse than it already is.

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
Very simple. I want to not be able to call the play from my couch with 90% certainty simply based on personnel and formation. I want to see creativity and better flow from play calling and far less telegraphing of what's coming. This failure as much as anything makes the run game grind to a halt and forces quick short throws while making the line look far worse than it already is.
If you, me and 90% of SN that watches games with regularity can call the plays I’d wager the Defense isn’t having too much trouble with it either:..truth

FordFairLane

Reaction score
#1- As everyone has stated the QB comparison. I assume Trubisky goes with the starters but does Rudolph get to have a drive or two with them? I personally hope so because it'll help to compare them when it's apples-to-apples.
As for Pickett I just want to see him have some pocket awareness and show a nice foundation of understanding the offense. The speed of the game is always the biggest hill for rookie QB's to climb. Preseason is usually a nice way to dip your toes in the water as team usually don't bring it like the do in the regular season. So if Pickett can show he knows where the ball should go and anticipates where to throw and doesn't have to see it open I will be very happy.

#2- Offensive line needs to gel quickly with the shorten preseason. I want to see them pass off guys and communicating. I want to see if Chuks is going to earn his contract or be one and done after this year. I want to see if Moore has progressed since his rookie season. I want Green and Dotson fighting for that LG position.

#3- I want to see an improved run defense. I want us to be physical up the middle and I want our ILB's shooting gaps. Spillane is the most thumper line ILB we have so I want to see Jack and Bush show they can fill holes.

#4- I want to see Wallace and Witherspoon be our lockdown outside CB's with Sutton locking up the nickel spot. I think we know what we have with Fitz and Edmunds so having guys that can lock up there man will take a lot of pressure off our pass rush.