• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Thoughts on first 4 draft picks

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
rnd 1 LT Fashanu or CB Porter/Ringo
early almost like rnd 1 pick via Bears Edge Mike Morris 6"6 292 versatile to play good vs the run and rush as a de or stand up, could be something like Tuitt he and Neal could be cornerstones to build the DL
our rnd 2 pick ILB Too,too or Paris Jhonson if he falls
rnd 3 I think Tyson retires or is cut just a rotational guy now Adams is a decent NT but not elite Enter NT Mazi Smith 6"3 325 watching him take double teams and push the pile is like watching a young Casey or Flether Cox
Rnd 4 projected but with Snell likely out and Warren a receiving back insurance for Harris Mo Ibrahim (rnd 4-6) could be a good insurance as he has been a workhorse for the Gophers man knows how to find the endzone.

need a slot WR take a long look at Ronnie Bell very reliable receiver and willing blocker should be there rnd 5 and is very fast.

We need to hit hard on all our rend 1-4 picks

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
I like it in general but with so much needs I would leave RB to free agency where they are a dime a dozen, That 4th rounder could be a good C / WR / CB / OLB before I think about RB

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
In my wet dream, we land Fashanu or Skoronski in RD 1, Porter in RD2A and Mazi Smith in RD2B. After that, I don't care, although I'd prefer no RB's or WR's. That alone will make this team a whole lot better until Tomlin coaches the pedigree out of them.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
In my wet dream, we land Fashanu or Skoronski in RD 1, Porter in RD2A and Mazi Smith in RD2B. After that, I don't care, although I'd prefer no RB's or WR's. That alone will make this team a whole lot better until Tomlin coaches the pedigree out of them.
I got 3 of those 4 in one of my mocks.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
I think Mazi Smith can be drafted at the 3rd. He is a pure NT. Now Ika probably will require a 2nd

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
3 Wolverines that can help big time NT Mazi Smith DE/OLB similar to Gary but with his height and weight could easily play the 5T and the C who is a excellent run blocker as well as pass blocker
Ohio ST the LT, DT and Edge
BAma ILB Too Too and DT
Penn ST Porter and if the other CB declares him to, and the DT PJ Mustaphir

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
IMO, we have to go Tackle in the first, be it Skoronski, Johnson or Fashanu.

2nd round, I can't stress this enough - Darnell Washington is our guy. With Muth having concussion issues and Washington also being a good blocking TE... a guy we need at a position we could use to help make the offense better
With our 2nd pick in the 2nd round, I'd like a guy like Siaki Ika - DT, Baylor. A mountain of a man at 6-4, 360.

3rd round and on is always hard to speculate, but I'd lean again towards the best OL/DL available.

As Sarge said, NO WRs and NO RBs.

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
They will go WR and most likely QB at some point, hopefully it is not early. My hope is that this is the draft of big uglies.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score

2nd round, I can't stress this enough - Darnell Washington is our guy. With Muth having concussion issues and Washington also being a good blocking TE... a guy we need at a position we could use to help make the offense better
With our 2nd pick in the 2nd round, I'd like a guy like Siaki Ika - DT, Baylor. A mountain of a man at 6-4, 360.

3rd round and on is always hard to speculate, but I'd lean again towards the best OL/DL available.

Johnson probably will move to G in the pros. I am guessing -due to his height.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score

The problem is we really have no WR depth all of a sudden. Pickens is the only starter on the team for the future, Sims hasn't settled as more than a gimmick player in the offense, calvin austin who knows? DJs contract ends after 2024.

If either Pickens or DJ go down things ger ugly quickly. Bringing a 3rd or 4th rounder WR would be good for depth and pushing DJ

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

I'm fully on the trench players. We need to challenge / replace some of the ones we have and that means a committment to high investent in the draft.

I'd be OK if the first four were trench, O & D, but not a reach similar to Green or Moore.

Salute the nation

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
For the posters who think no WR they traded Claypool and really have no slot guy. You have inconsistent Johnson and Pickens. I would move Johnson to the slot where he can take advantage of his short area separation ability and draft an outside WR. I think we see a WR somewhere between 1 and 4....

Last edited:

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The problem is we really have no WR depth all of a sudden. Pickens is the only starter on the team for the future, Sims hasn't settled as more than a gimmick player in the offense, calvin austin who knows? DJs contract ends after 2024.

If either Pickens or DJ go down things ger ugly quickly. Bringing a 3rd or 4th rounder WR would be good for depth and pushing DJ

I just read an article of the steelers adding a PS (ex browns) player to the mix. WR

not sure on legitamacy of that article and I'm to lazy to re-look it up.

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
For the posters who think no WR they traded Claypool and really have no slot guy. You have inconsistent Johnson and Pickens. I would move Johnson to the slot where he can take advantage of his short area separation ability and draft a outside WR. I think we see a WR somewhere between 1 and 4....

I hear yaz but value has to be there because of the need for both sides of the ball, linemen.

Salute the nation

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
They have enough p
I hear yaz but value has to be there because of the need for both sides of the ball, linemen.

Salute the nation
True of course BPA. But with 1-4 having 5 picks I like the odds of a BPA WR being there.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
We know we need a

LT
CB
ILber

I would presume a WR would be on their want list too.

Leaves a slot for either pass rusher or Dlineman.

Or both if free agency checks one off the list.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't see anyone really thinking CB is a priority for this draft. Who is the ACE CB on this squad? Hell, which one other than possibly Sutton is even reliable?
It wouldn't shock me to see a CB taken in Rd 1 or Rd 2. It wouldn't upset me either (well, depending on who the CB is anyway).

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't see anyone really thinking CB is a priority for this draft. Who is the ACE CB on this squad? Hell, which one other than possibly Sutton is even reliable?
It wouldn't shock me to see a CB taken in Rd 1 or Rd 2. It wouldn't upset me either (well, depending on who the CB is anyway).
Look up one post from yours. 😁

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
I buy WR but i think QB will be off the menu.
I certainly hope QB is not off the menu

We’ve only got 2 under contract next year and one showed he sucks the other has also been very unimpressive

We may not draft this early again for awhile

While I’m all for a big uglies draft if we get a very early pick and an ACTUAL franchise QB is available it has to be considered UNLESS Kenny shows some real signs of improvement, more than just a poor man’s Mason Rudolph which is what he is showing so far

Hope KP shows something to avert this disaster from being necessary and we can just take a mid round flyer on Stetson Bennett..:also likely to be an upgrade over Kenny Picketts

It’s more fun if an underdog 5’10 kid comes along and steals the hometown kid’s lunch money

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
1. We were lucky to draft Sutton and that he's turned out as well as he has.
2. That said, we suck at drafting CBs
3. Get a FA CB
4. The worst thing we'd do is go into next season thinking Moore and Green have learned and worked to be better
5. The worst thing, Part 2, we'd do is go into next season thinking Moore and Green have learned and worked to be better and start them

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
The Openong Post said a LT like Fashanu or CB Porter

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I certainly hope QB is not off the menu

We’ve only got 2 under contract next year and one showed he sucks the other has also been very unimpressive

We may not draft this early again for awhile

While I’m all for a big uglies draft if we get a very early pick and an ACTUAL franchise QB is available it has to be considered UNLESS Kenny shows some real signs of improvement, more than just a poor man’s Mason Rudolph which is what he is showing so far

Hope KP shows something to avert this disaster from being necessary and we can just take a mid round flyer on Stetson Bennett..:also likely to be an upgrade over Kenny Picketts

It’s more fun if an underdog 5’10 kid comes along and steals the hometown kid’s lunch money
You have Kenny and a vet behind him. Just too many bigger needs and the Steelers aren't going to give up on a QB who is starting to show baby steps in the right direction. Unless it is a 7th rounder I would actually be shocked to see a QB drafted.