• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Thoughts on first 4 draft picks

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't see anyone really thinking CB is a priority for this draft. Who is the ACE CB on this squad? Hell, which one other than possibly Sutton is even reliable?
It wouldn't shock me to see a CB taken in Rd 1 or Rd 2. It wouldn't upset me either (well, depending on who the CB is anyway).

I'd rather trade our #1 for a proven CB (similar to the Minka trade) as Coach Tomlin isn't known for developing CBs.

Trench workers are my preferred picks early.

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
You have Kenny and a vet behind him. Just too many bigger needs and the Steelers aren't going to give up on a QB who is starting to show baby steps in the right direction. Unless it is a 7th rounder I would actually be shocked to see a QB drafted.

I agree slash as they have made their 1st round investment.

Salute the nation

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
I'd rather trade our #1 for a proven CB (similar to the Minka trade) as Coach Tomlin isn't known for developing CBs.

Trench workers are my preferred picks early.

Salute the nation
I get the need for trench workers. But, a good FA OL (other than LT) is going to come cheaper than a FA CB (at least a good one). I wouldn't mind seeing some combination of LT, CB, OG with the first and two seconds. That's assuming they manage to keep Larry O for another year or two.

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
I certainly hope QB is not off the menu

We’ve only got 2 under contract next year and one showed he sucks the other has also been very unimpressive

We may not draft this early again for awhile

While I’m all for a big uglies draft if we get a very early pick and an ACTUAL franchise QB is available it has to be considered UNLESS Kenny shows some real signs of improvement, more than just a poor man’s Mason Rudolph which is what he is showing so far

Hope KP shows something to avert this disaster from being necessary and we can just take a mid round flyer on Stetson Bennett..:also likely to be an upgrade over Kenny Picketts

It’s more fun if an underdog 5’10 kid comes along and steals the hometown kid’s lunch money
Stetson Bennett?? Hell to the no

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The Steelers have limited picks this year. They have too many needs to even think about picking a QB. In 2 years, if KP isn't working out, then you look at another QB in the draft.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Why would they release a decent backup?
I'd re-sign to a 3 year deal lowering his yearly average, here he has one of the best shots to jump in to the starting lineup. Tough to get a better situation than backing up a 24 years old rookie QB

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The Steelers have limited picks this year. They have too many needs to even think about picking a QB. In 2 years, if KP isn't working out, then you look at another QB in the draft.
Your assumption is that drafting a QB is a move for a starter. My take is a later round pick as a potential backup. Rudy will be gone, and Mitch will want to go somewhere with a chance to start.

Aussie_Steeler

Reaction score
First round pick really depends where they are picking:

Top 5 - if he's still there when Steelers pick, Jalen Carter;
6-12 - Best left tackle on the board (I'm assuming Carter will be gone by 6).
13-18 - Best player available from OL, DL, CB, ILB with the first position listed taking precedence where two players of perceived equal value are still on the board.
19-31 - I doubt very much the Steelers will be picking in this range.

Hard to say for the next picks given variables regarding where they'll be picking and who is off the board. If Steelers are picking top 5 and get Carter, I'd try to trade up from the second back into the mid-20s if there is still a good left tackle prospect, otherwise assuming they get their left tackle with the first round pick, I'd use the two second round picks on best available DL and best available IOL, CB or ILB.

PS I note Joey Porter Jr is a possible draft entrant for 2023 - what are the odds on Steelers picking him, given they seem to like their families?

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Your assumption is that drafting a QB is a move for a starter. My take is a later round pick as a potential backup. Rudy will be gone, and Mitch will want to go somewhere with a chance to start.
Not sure Mitch will try to force his way out. He doesn't seem like the type.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Possible but they can snag two guys from free agency and UDFA. We'd be using a 7th rounder on a QB anyhow.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
IMO, we have to go Tackle in the first, be it Skoronski, Johnson or Fashanu.

2nd round, I can't stress this enough - Darnell Washington is our guy. With Muth having concussion issues and Washington also being a good blocking TE... a guy we need at a position we could use to help make the offense better
With our 2nd pick in the 2nd round, I'd like a guy like Siaki Ika - DT, Baylor. A mountain of a man at 6-4, 360.

3rd round and on is always hard to speculate, but I'd lean again towards the best OL/DL available.

As Sarge said, NO WRs and NO RBs.
I'm picking up what you're putting down but...

Berm says this:
1. OT
2. C
3. OG
4. DT

And I haven't had a drink today so that is absolutely sober talking!!!

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I honestly believe this team has the weapons on offense and playmaker on defense. It just needs to get a better Tackle and stronger through the middle.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Unless you get a generational left tackle trade back and get 4 instead of 3.
Kind of what I am hoping for. But will expand it to a position of need that has no business falling to the Steelers in 1.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I honestly believe this team has the weapons on offense and playmaker on defense. It just needs to get a better Tackle and stronger through the middle.
They could use a slot WR. Better LT and stronger push on the Dline. A better ILBer, better number 1 corner, and better coaching staff.

Other than that... 😁

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I want to see slot drafted last year. Agreed with rest. Getting sick of Canada whining by saying he usnt going to whine.

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
Stetson Bennett?? Hell to the no
We’re gonna need more than 2 QBs

A late round flyer and in comes 5’10 winner to steal baby hands job

C’mon the KP knob slobbers should love this idea, bring in some “competition” he may actually beat to retain the starter role

I’d still put my coin on Stetson over KP tho

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
We’re gonna need more than 2 QBs

A late round flyer and in comes 5’10 winner to steal baby hands job

C’mon the KP knob slobbers should love this idea, bring in some “competition” he may actually beat to retain the starter role

I’d still put my coin on Stetson over KP tho
There are far better prospects for this idea than Bennett

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
No way I'm spending another high pick on a ******* tight end, with this o line. We need bang for our high pick buck. Every down players
Exactly. Fans also should remember who might not be on the roster. Bush and Sutton. On an already suspect CB unit, I expect 1 of those 1-4 rd 5 picks to be a CB. Probably an ILBer unless they bring one in free agency. One WR. That leaves two picks for the trenches, maybe three if again ILBer is addressed in free agency which is the preferable route. So they could then go LT, C or G. Then DT or DE.

They could also resign Sutton bring in another CB to pair with Sutton and Wallace. And skip ILBer and CB in the draft. Opens up the ability to really stock those trenches.

Last edited:

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
I understand and agree. This just isn't the M.O. of this organization. We have seen the same need for years, and it's not addressed. And buckeye,. How have those great FA o linemen worked out the last couple years. This coaching staff believes on bargain basement o like fa's. That just don't work.