• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Thoughts on the 49ers game

Vader

Reaction score
What a clusterfuck. You get 5 OTs... a +3 and this is all you have to show for it. Just some fun... The league had several rookie and 2nd year QBs that won today. Let's count them shall we:

Gardner Minshew (Rookie)- I've never heard of him either. 6th round QB that helped the Jags beat the Titans.
Daniel Jones (Rookie) - On a horrible NY team. They come back and beat the bucs. He had 4 TDs.
Kyle Allen (Undrafted 2nd year player)- Threw up 261 yards and 4 TDs. Beat another rookie in Murray. Allen looked like the better player.
Josh Allen- (7th round pick, 2nd year player)- 64% comp. Beat the bungles.

Let's look at Bridgewater. He's not a great QB. But because of the coaching he goes and beats Seattle in Seattle. they know how to use their players and put them in the right spots. I remember someone on here saying that Dobbs was better. Don't remember who it was. But there is a reason why Bridgewater stayed in NO. Coaching.

Now to our.. umm.. game. I actually liked the fire of the defense. They were over matched but played with heart. I can respect that. I can't respect coaches that obviously don't know how to scheme for anything. Fitz played great. He is exactly what this team needed. He'll be wasted here for this year. Barron? Yea,... no.. please turn in your keys and get on with your life's work.. it ain't football. Bush still is in over his head. He leads the team in tackles but they aren't around the LOS. He is getting manhandled out there. His tackles are down the field. If you see an ILB flying by the screen it's Bush being hit by an OL or TE. The 2 DL look still is horrible. If not for the TOs this team gives up 35 easy today. But it's good to see TOs. Dupree had a TKL and a QB pressure... then not much else. Too man 1st rounders on this defense to be this bad.

Offense- I think the Mason vs. Ben controversy should be over with. He played ok but he isn't Ben. 51% comp. won't cut it in today's NFL. He did have 2 TDs. However, one was just JuJu being JuJu. Quick pass and he took it to the house. The 2nd one is the real issue. Long pass to Johnson that Johnson has to wait for. If a DB is anywhere close that ball is batted away or picked off. He just isn't Ben yet. He has accuracy issues as well. I'm not blaming him for this loss. Conner fumbled again. Still I can't help but like the kid. It's his 3rd year but SF was clogging the lanes. Mason wasn't able to throw them out of that. I'm not sure anyone is running against that front. But 2.9 isn't going to cut it.

Coaching- Where? Oh.. yes. Coaching was horrible. I'm sure that WR meeting where he chewed them out really helped... or not. Without Ben this guy would have been fired years ago. He has a defense full of #1 picks and offense with a QB that the organization says had a #1 grade on him and this is the best they can do? If you want to watch coaches that know what they are doing go watch the Saints, Seattle, pats***, and a few others. Give any of those teams +3 in TOs and the game isn't even close. Losing to the pats*** is one thing but there is no way Seattle has more talent than the Steelers. Their entire defense is gone from their last SB. Their OL is a mess because of injures ETC... But Carroll can coach. Peyton can coach.

Anyone that think Tomlin is a top 5 HC is on drugs. Please stop. The organization made him not the other way around. I believe you could put a broom with a mop bucket for a head as the HC and get better results... why? Because his entire job has been to watch Ben and earlier on watch LeBeau and call TOs and challenges. So if the broom doesn't call stupid TOs or challenges then the broom wins hands down. WTF was he doing with the TOs? Is he even watching the game?

Anyone remember Cowher in the super bowl against Seattle? They have the lead and all they need to do is run out the clock. Cowher goes to Bettis and tells him "We're not worried about the yards just hold on to the ball". Yea, something like that would be nice.. you know walk over to the young RB and tell him not to be too aggressive that we need to run clock not necessarily yards. Maybe call some plays from the I formation with a full back to help block? Yea, I know that's not stylish and I should stay in my lane. I'm a science teacher and not an NFL coach. But I'm starting to think I'm not the only person that not an NFL coach....

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score
ummm Josh Allen was not a 7th round pick.

That's all I got though

Super Dave

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Josh was the 7th overall pick......he was the "Ben" of his draft class.....Bills got lucky.

Vader

Reaction score
ummm Josh Allen was not a 7th round pick.

That's all I got though

My fault. I got him mixed up with another QB I was looking at on the chart.

AggieSteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah coaching was terrible. I’m actually not mad at Rudolph. The first half playcalling was what it always is - overly conservative and not conducive to building a young QB’s confidence or jumping out to an early lead. Just horizontal throws or otherwise dinks and dunks. Rudolph’s terribleness in the beginning was 100% coaching in my opinion. But yeah he is not Ben agreed. But we need a real staff or else we will be forever going nowhere

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
It was his first game and coaching / Oline did him no favors. Our oline has been terrible. Ben had not been lighting it up either and I'll bet rudolph has better stats. Not saying Rudolph is a better QB just that the blame is not all on him. He did miss a few throws early though.
Defense was not so great except for the TOs we could not stop them. Bush is getting destroyed in coverage. We should have put a corner on Kittle not Barron or Bush

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe call some plays from the I formation with a full back to help block?

Especially when Conner was a good power back who played from the I quite a bit at Pitt. But they seem to just keep putting square pegs in round holes.

mdl

Banned
Reaction score
Except for the 2 TDs Mason was 12-25 for 59 yards, no way to sugar coat that he sucked. Less than 5 yards a COMPLETION and less than 3 yards per attempt. The TDs were a horrible angle by the safety and then a bonehead play by the CB, twp gift TDs.

Vader

Reaction score
Especially when Conner was a good power back who played from the I quite a bit at Pitt. But they seem to just keep putting square pegs in round holes.

To me it's just football 101. You're trying to run out the clock and play field position. You want to take time and let your defense rest and if you have to punt then so be it. They just picked up a 1st down. It's a little over 5 minutes left. Run a few plays.. maybe a play action and sneak the TE out if it gets to 3rd and short. Maybe just run as much clock as you can. But the one thing you can't do it turn it over.... Ball game.

steelcan58

Reaction score
To me it's just football 101. You're trying to run out the clock and play field position. You want to take time and let your defense rest and if you have to punt then so be it. They just picked up a 1st down. It's a little over 5 minutes left. Run a few plays.. maybe a play action and sneak the TE out if it gets to 3rd and short. Maybe just run as much clock as you can. But the one thing you can't do it turn it over.... Ball game.

Trouble is Dumbass Coolshades skipped the Football 101 course. He majored in post game interviews and has a Phd in cliches.

SojournerSteel

Reaction score
AB has more insight into the DSM-5 than Shades has into coaching and preparing a game plan of sound mind.

Don't be angry, this is all for the best. Even though Rooney won't fire Shades, at least more people are waking up and the fans need to start staying away.

The "Tomlin gets a pass this year" refrain is right up there with "who you gonna replace him with?"

Those ole chestnuts won't hold water watching with, as Vader points out, the Kyler Allens and Gardner Minshews of the world showing what minimal coaching competency can do in today's league.

As horrid as Tomlin is with game management, he's worse with player development.

mdl

Banned
Reaction score
Don't understand the Tomlin gets a pass this year crap. Next year Ben will be 39 with a rebuilt elbow and frankly he is bot the answer either, we are 2-6 in his last 8 starts and he looks like a punch drunk fighter this year. This is the team Tomlin will have for the foreseeable future and his coaching will not suddenly get good with Ben gone or near gone.This year is a true indicator of his lack of coaching ability and a foreshadow into the future. he needs to be gone.

Vader

Reaction score
Don't understand the Tomlin gets a pass this year crap. Next year Ben will be 39 with a rebuilt elbow and frankly he is bot the answer either, we are 2-6 in his last 8 starts and he looks like a punch drunk fighter this year. This is the team Tomlin will have for the foreseeable future and his coaching will not suddenly get good with Ben gone or near gone.This year is a true indicator of his lack of coaching ability and a foreshadow into the future. he needs to be gone.

I don't get it either but it's coming. The Steelers will still win a few games. They have the bungles and a Miami team (that's trying to lose games) and other bad teams on the schedule. Tomlin is already getting a pass by the media. The last thing said that I heard from today's game was "The Steelers have their work cut out for them after going 0-3 but if anyone can do it Mike Tomlin can". The media are oblivious to Tomlin's hand in how bad this team has become. This season will be laid at the feet of Ben for being hurt. Tomlin's scapegoat is in Ben being hurt not his utter disdain for common sense or coaching fundamentals.

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
I'll be interested to read this column:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Rough room. Players who aren't usually in a bad way, even after a loss, were in a VERY bad way. And in most cases, rightly so. <br><br>I'm writing a column about the No. 1 point of blame here today. I'm going to guess you'll disagree, but hey.<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/DKPS?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#DKPS</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Steelers?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Steelers</a></p>— Dejan Kovacevic (@Dejan_Kovacevic) <a href="https://twitter.com/Dejan_Kovacevic/status/1175926868286926848?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 23, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Vincent

@#$% the 'narrative'
Reaction score
I believe you could put a broom with a mop bucket for a head as the HC and get better results...

This Friday night go to any high school game in Texas, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Georgia, or wherever. Hire the coaching staff of the winning team. Can the pretenders we have - all of them. Give the high school coaches the reigns of the Pittsburgh Steelers and you will probably end up 9-7. Keep them the following year and you contend.

mdl

Banned
Reaction score
Tomlin has never appeared to me to be a football junkie or a real smart guy. Aside from his bullshit there is nothing about him that us impressive or solid. He has never made a coaching decision during the game that was brilliant and all his braggadocia aside he is an idiot.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score

SojournerSteel

Reaction score
I don't get it either but it's coming. The Steelers will still win a few games. They have the bungles and a Miami team (that's trying to lose games) and other bad teams on the schedule. Tomlin is already getting a pass by the media. The last thing said that I heard from today's game was "The Steelers have their work cut out for them after going 0-3 but if anyone can do it Mike Tomlin can". The media are oblivious to Tomlin's hand in how bad this team has become. This season will be laid at the feet of Ben for being hurt. Tomlin's scapegoat is in Ben being hurt not his utter disdain for common sense or coaching fundamentals.

AB was scapegoated for last year's 3rd straight Dunkirk finish to the season with 8 Pro Bowlers on the roster. Haley was offered up the year before after Shades got owned by Blake Bortles. This year it will be Ben. Next year probably Butler when things continue to crater with 8-9 Number 1 picks on D.

You'd think they would run out of scapegoats for Shades at some point.

Jsc825

Reaction score
SF: 26 1st downs, 11 3rd downs
PIT: 11 1st downs, 12 3rd downs

SF: 436 yds & 6.0 yds/play
PIT: 239 yds & 4.7 yds/play

SF: 6 red zone trips
PIT: 1 red zone trip

SF: 5 turnovers
PIT: 2 turnovers

Yet no talk that the OC or DC should be fired
Rooney's let Munchak go as to not make Tomlin nervous...they like the losing, just like Pirates
Money is flowing and they don't have to make any hard decisions...all up in arms about painting seats with a company logo instead of winning games
A lot of young quality coaches have been hired and Steeler fans are stuck with Mr. big words, no action, no game plan, no motivation Tomlin
Maybe, just maybe after a 4-12 season, the Rooney's will be forced to make a change

Roy92040

Senor Blues
Contributor
Reaction score
My thoughts are the offense played the 1st half too conservatively, consequently causing the defense to spend way too much time on the field. By the time the 3rd quarter was finished so was our defense.

IndySteel

Contributor
Reaction score
The game in a nutshell...

g2knvfuop7o31.jpg