• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Titans signing Bud Dupree listed among worst decisions of offseason

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
It is a little suspect on the price. Coming off injury plus being the number 2 pass rusher on the team combines for that way of thinking. But he is a decent run defender and he has progressed yearly so there is some things in his favor. I just have to wonder if the **** are getting a top tier pass rusher, because that is what they payed for.

Paul G

Bleed Black 'n' Gold
Contributor
Reaction score
I think Bud has grown over the years but it was a Batman and Robin type of show in Pittsburgh...
Are fans in Tennessee going to Marvel at the Robin show coming off injury .... at that money payout ..... I think not ..... should have signed with D.C. better fit

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Bud was making progress but he should be because he's a 5 year vet. Some have said Bud can stand on his own but I disagree to a point because having TJ WATT opposite yaz has got to be an influence in your favor.

We and the **** will find out soon enough but I'm in the boat of thiking BUD got a payday he may not live up to. Don't get me wrong as I wish nothing but best for him un less he is playing us.

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
It is a little suspect on the price. Coming off injury plus being the number 2 pass rusher on the team combines for that way of thinking. But he is a decent run defender and he has progressed yearly so there is some things in his favor. I just have to wonder if the **** are getting a top tier pass rusher, because that is what they payed for.

I fully agree slash and I understand our "cap" had a lot to do with his casualty. My question is this........ had we had the cap room would you have signed him for the same deal the **** did. I don't know the full extent of his **** contract but what little I do know is I think they overpaid for what they are getting.

Salute the nation

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
No for what the titans paid I would not have paid that much coming off a torn acl

xjx

Reaction score
Bud was a dud on the left side. He didn't really do anything until Watt arrived. Bud will fade.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I fully agree slash and I understand our "cap" had a lot to do with his casualty. My question is this........ had we had the cap room would you have signed him for the same deal the **** did. I don't know the full extent of his **** contract but what little I do know is I think they overpaid for what they are getting.

Salute the nation
Yeah the great unknown. I would think with Highsmith aboard probably not. But with a premium on pass rushers perhaps they would have tried to make it close.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah the great unknown. I would think with Highsmith aboard probably not. But with a premium on pass rushers perhaps they would have tried to make it close.

I hear what you are saying but also am releived we didn't as that would extend our "cap" hell. Maybe he would have healed and been up to par but like you said, we have Highsmith in the wings and he appears to be faster starting than BUD (as it took him 3 years to start his impact) whereas Highsmith is starting his currently and way less $$$costly$$$.

Salute the nation.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
The guys who do fancy stats hated bud... they didn’t understand his value and thought he was solely a byproduct of Watt cause they couldn’t correlate Buds development with changing lb coaches and him learning more than an outside speed rush.... instead they tied it to JJ emerging

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I think Bud is a good player, but there is risk at the money they paid. He is a bit Clowney like to me. Can seem unstoppable and then disappear. And it it was difficult to assign help against him because of the Steelers front 5. I think there is a better chance that there is minimal loss with Highsmith then Bud Dupree lives up to that contract.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Dupree had a lot of assets including HIGH CHARACTER, excellent teammate and never dissed the Organization, all strong attributes.

That doesn't rule out Highsmith in any of those categories.

Salute the nation

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
All I know is ...our defense went south shortly after his injury..
That was coupled with Bush's injury and you would have to hope that Highsmith will make a second year jump. No question sack production went down. You have to hope for three things.
1. This teams stays extremely healthy because they are paper thin.
2. Highsmith makes a second year jump.
3. Harris rehabilitates the run game with help from hopefully better line play (a stretch for sure).

SteveA

Reaction score
The history of free agents leaving the Steelers and doing well is well documented. Unlike the Pirates one players leave the burg they usually just fade away.

I mean why anyone would wanna leave the Steelers is a head scratcher normally...

After all....We are “The Steelers”...

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
That was coupled with Bush's injury and you would have to hope that Highsmith will make a second year jump. No question sack production went down. You have to hope for three things.
1. This teams stays extremely healthy because they are paper thin.
2. Highsmith makes a second year jump.
3. Harris rehabilitates the run game with help from hopefully better line play (a stretch for sure).
you are not counting the loss of Nelson/Hilton there, Sutton either replaces Hilton or Nelson, can't replace both

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
you are not counting the loss of Nelson/Hilton there, Sutton either replaces Hilton or Nelson, can't replace both
Fair point. You have to hope Sutton steps up and they can replace Nelson. Hilton's tackling and blitzing will not be replaced. His coverage can. Lots of ifs no doubt. My personal opinion is this team will struggle to make the Tomlin 9 or more wins. No .500 possible this year. I felt they should rebuild with a new coach, but obviously that is not happening.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I hope you're right but Dupree was at his high point when he got hurt - I, personally, think he'll pick up where he left off...
Saying Bud was still running the Jarvis Jones Arc is unfair. But he got paid to be a lot more than good. (guaranteed 7 million per season).

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm expecting 8/10 sacks yarly plus solid running D and great work ethic by Dupree, if that's worth that shitload of money, well I don't know.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I'm expecting 8/10 sacks yarly plus solid running D and great work ethic by Dupree, if that's worth that shitload of money, well I don't know.
Especially because their cap situation isn't that much different then Pittsburgh.