• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Tomlin as HC and GM..?

Slaine

Still wants to trade Fu for a third
Forefather
Reaction score
With the revelations that he's been calling the defensive plays recently and Colbert rumoured to be stepping down after this draft, does anyone else see this becoming more like the Patriots model where Tomlin will take full charge?

I don't like that model personally and wouldn't want it to happen but it feels possible.

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
Steelers love continuity. They love *the system* Colbert implemented as GM, the *way we do business*, draft prep, FA's, trades. player evaluations etc. Who knows this system better than anyone? Mike Tomlin. He's been there, done that. Elevating someone like Omar Khan or Brandon Hunt, as opposed to bringing in a new GM, will all but guarantee this Colbert/Tomlin system remains intact. With Colbert no longer here, yes, this would make Tomlin the de facto HC/GM, for all intents and purposes. Sliding in a position coach to Defensive Coordinator is a similar move. It reaffirms and re-establishes the Tomlin/Steelers system that's been developed and in place for nearly two decades.

If anything, with Colbert gone, Tomlin will be working more closely with the Rooneys, in a more direct chain of command.

Like it, love it or hate it, this organization has gone *all in* with Mike Tomlin, as the face of the franchise and the man in charge. It's never been clearer, the buck stops here, with Mike Tomlin. Nobody to point fingers at, it's all on him, good & bad.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
Tomlin as GM with no one actually having input to the team would be the worst-case scenario for the Steelers team and organization. Hopefully, Rooney is smart enough to not even think about that but I'm not sure he is.
couldn't agree more, that would be a horrible mistake

suncitysteel

Soli Deo Gloria
Forefather
Reaction score
The Tomlin Coup, is what it would be. It would also be a disaster, and would waste so many years for TJ, Najee, etc. in that they would never taste postseason success. But yes, it would expedite the inevitability of the final Titanic-like collapse of the organization and the "start from the ground up" rebuild that would follow.

NYSteel

Reaction score
It's definitely an interesting possibility, re Tomlin as HC/GM.

One thing we know for sure, he's losing his HOF qb. And the NFL is a different place when your team doesn't have one.

A quick peek at the Bills is a great example. 4 straight SB appearances with Jim Kelly. Of course they lost them all, but that's not the point.

Kelly retires in '97.....and Buffalo enters a two plus decade run of mostly suckdom. It's not that they didn't try to get another HOF qb... They certainly did. But they are very hard to find.

Josh Allen is not in the HOF yet... But I will give him this: he is a legit franchise qb, and he has a great shot to make it if he can bring home a Lombardi. Buffalo will be in the hunt for the next 10 years or more.

The Steelers are looking at Rudolph or Haskins right now, with Rudi the front runner. Dig in fellow fans.... I just hope we find our guy within the next few years.... Not 20.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
It will never happen. DK Sports had a discussion regarding this. Colbert has always been Director of Football Operations since he replaced Donahoe. He was appointed to the title of GM, because during scouting he would not be assigned to the better locations on site GMs from other teams were assigned. So Art2 changed his title so as to allow him to receive the same courtesy. Whomever replaces Colbert will be Director of Football Operations and have the same symbiotic relationship Colbert had with Cowher and Tomlin. Art2 has final say though, as did Dan. Dan Rooney had commented a long time ago that they will never run things like when Buddy Parker did.

black and gold apex

Reaction score
We have witnessed where he has taken the Steelers, no identity and no physicality with who he puts on the field. GM oh my we all will be destroying our TV's

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
We have witnessed where he has taken the Steelers, no identity and no physicality with who he puts on the field. GM oh my we all will be destroying our TV's
Fortunately, I have a projector aimed at a large wall, easily repaired. I've got HCMT all figured out.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I hope the new GM has a similar role to Colbert. I understand the Steelers have more of a partnership and my problem with Tomlin's player evaluation is he likes too many "soft" football players. Guys like Sean Mahan and Devin Bush exemplify the small and soft playing style.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah he could be HC/GM/ DC. Call the defense. Do we really need a special teams coach? Not mith MIKE. Scouting team? Having one is overrated we got MIKE.
We don't need much when we have MIKE.
Fan base? Well I guess that is important. ****

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
8-9 seasons are gonna be a regular tradition.
Sprinkle in some 8-8-1’s.

The standard

JMM

Gone Fishin'
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm right here. Can't you understand plain English
Go for it...Let him serve beer too.

BEER HERE!!! Get your luke warm flat beer here!!
20211209mfsteelerssports02-1641935182.jpg

We'll obviously I think you'd want the light beer cause it's fantabulous and scores less on the caloric scale.... Obviously. Definitely get the mega cup... That'll be $14.75

Last edited:

SojournerSteel

Reaction score
I think we would want this because I have the utmost faith it will be a disaster and Tomlin will be fired
Knowing them they will let him bottom out and then decide to get him help and prop him back up again.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
8-9 seasons are gonna be a regular tradition.
Sprinkle in some 8-8-1’s.

The standard

I think that "standard" is going to be a little lower on the win side very shortly a-n-d the word SOFT will be in the sentence as well.

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Go for it...Let him serve beer too.

20211209mfsteelerssports02-1641935182.jpg

We'll obviously I think you'd want the light beer cause it's fantabulous and scores less on the caloric scale.... Obviously. Definitely get the mega cup... That'll be $14.75

Peanuts/....... get your peanuts but once you shell them you can't put them back in....................................

$20.00 so I don't have to make C-H-A-N-G-E

Salute the nation

Reactions: JMM

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Knowing them they will let him bottom out and then decide to get him help and prop him back up again.

Don't ever print this again because if Rooney reads this it may give hi ideas......................................

Salute the nation

stuntmanmike

Contributor
Reaction score
I’d hire gm but he’d give up HC duty’s, hire Dan Colbert as head player personnel, give him and new head coach final say. Works for me, anything that gets tomlin off the side lines works for me!

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
He already calls his own challenges, so . . . .

Truthfully, if he is defacto GM, I predict a bunch of Dri Archer draft picks. He seems to think that he has the power to find those gems that other teams can't see.