• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Tomlin as HC and GM..?

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Fackin saft

Different language,............... same word

It was written long ago in egypt heiroglyphics as it started "how will the future unfold....2019 forward, STEELERS are S-O-F-T "

Salute the nation

Reactions: MTC

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Whatever gives him even more control, hope it will hasten his depart.

Tom Lynn-Zadeusch

Reaction score
Even if Tomlin doesn't deserve the GM position, given that he isn't effective in his current role, I would totally understand the need to give him a really close look and some extra consideration given the "rule".

Last edited:

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Tomlin would never hold both positions. The Rooneys aren't dumb. If you had a coach with both positions, you'd need to hire for both when that coach/gm leaves.

Rooneys like the GM to stay across HCs until they get their footing and vice versa. Works really well here.

Also we have only had 5 DOPP/GMs since Noll: Dan Rooney, Art Jr, Dick Haley, Donahoe, and Colbert. That is some serious ******* consistency people!

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
As I hinted at above, Rooney confirms Tomlin is already the de facto HC/GM.

Rooney also said the "door is open" for Colbert to stay on in a reduced role after the draft but that seems unlikely. The 64-year-old has been Pittsburgh's general manager since 2000, adding Vice President to his (successful) title in 2016. Mike Tomlin’s role will reportedly stay the same between his responsibilities as coach and GM over personnel no matter Colbert's decision. The Steelers already interviewed Omar Khan and Brandon Hunt for the role and will continue to talk with outside candidates as well.

This is new info as far as I know, that Tomlin, not Colbert was already calling the shots regarding personnel. Which leaves more of business operations, cap guru, contracts etc for whoever assumes this role post-Colbert. There should be no doubt in anyone's mind that the Steelers football team is a Mike Tomlin operation. Not shocking at all, given his record and nearly two decades at the helm. Just good to have clarity, that his role with the Steelers far surpasses that of a traditional HC in the NFL.

Last edited:

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
As I hinted at above, Rooney confirms Tomlin is already the defacto HC/GM.

This is new info as far as I know, that Tomlin, not Colbert was already calling the shots regarding personnel. Which leaves more of business operations, cap guru, contracts etc for whoever assumes this role post-Colbert. There should be no doubt in anyone's mind that the Steelers football team is a Mike Tomlin operation. Not shocking at all, given his record and nearly two decades at the helm. Just good to have clarity, that his role with the Steelers far surpasses that of a traditional HC in the NFL.
This is actually very disturbing if Tomlin is basically GM, head coach, DC, and has a scrub in Canaduh as OC. For Rooney to allow this has the Rooney's that came before him rolling over in their graves. As I've said before, Tomlin isn't going anywhere for at least another 5 years (and probably a decade) unless he leaves on his own. Rooney doesn't have the balls to fire him in this climate no matter how bad the team is or gets.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
This is actually very disturbing if Tomlin is basically GM, head coach, DC, and has a scrub in Canaduh as OC. For Rooney to allow this has the Rooney's that came before him rolling over in their graves. As I've said before, Tomlin isn't going anywhere for at least another 5 years (and probably a decade) unless he leaves on his own. Rooney doesn't have the balls to fire him in this climate no matter how bad the team is or gets.
I say put Shades in charge of everything and when it goes to hell the nuthuggers have no one else to blame.

KStilley

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm guessing it will be Brandon Hunt. Reading local papers mind you but Omar Kahn has had interviews elsewhere but doesn't have the player evaluation background.

My own opinion is they may hope that Kahn get's hired as a GM elsewhere before they make a decision. I'm sure they've groomed his successor regarding salary cap and would get a third round pick because Kahn in a minority if he goes to another team as GM.

Back to local news info. Hunt has scouting background and left an impression with ownership.

He's "in house" and the steelers like to promote within. Opposite of Tomlin.

nooneuno

Forefather
Reaction score
I thought they've been grooming Omar Khan for the spot for years?

KStilley

Contributor
Reaction score
I thought they've been grooming Omar Khan for the spot for years?
I get the feeling it may have been media and fan assumptions. He definitely knows the finances and cap manipulation though the cap has always caught up with us. Not entirely his fault when you have mega salaries with certain players.

Like I mentioned, he's had some interviews and I believe those teams are wary of player evaluation.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
As I hinted at above, Rooney confirms Tomlin is already the de facto HC/GM.

Tibs, which writer reported this? Below is from DK Sports Dale Lolley (pay firewall) and includes Art2’s comments regarding separation of the two positions.

“The GM position with the Steelers is somewhat unlike those in many other organizations around the league in that the GM and head coach are equals and both report directly to Rooney….

Rooney doesn't see that structure changing.

"I think a GM has a lot of responsibilities these days. We’ll be hiring somebody who can fill all of those responsibilities, which includes, obviously No. 1, being a talent evaluator and putting that draft together, but also everything else that goes along with being a GM in the NFL today," Rooney said. "Having said that, we’re looking for somebody that fits with the way we’re structured and our culture. We’re not really planning on changing our own structure here. It would have to be somebody we feel can fit that culture and that role."

That being said, the GM will continue to be an equal with the head coach. And Tomlin won't be assuming any additional roles.

"Mike’s role in all of this will most likely stay the same," Rooney said. "The new GM will step into Kevin’s role and fill that role in a similar way and similar set of responsibilities that Kevin has had. I don’t expect to make a dramatic change in those responsibilities, coach versus GM has worked well. We’re not really trying to make a big change there."

So it’s just my interpretation, but whoever replaces Kevin, it will be business as usual for DOPP/GM, with Kevin maybe having a lessor consultant role like what Bill Nunn had for several years after he stepped down.

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Tibs, which writer reported this? Below is from DK Sports Dale Lolley (pay firewall) and includes Art2’s comments regarding separation of the two positions.

“The GM position with the Steelers is somewhat unlike those in many other organizations around the league in that the GM and head coach are equals and both report directly to Rooney….

Rooney doesn't see that structure changing.

"I think a GM has a lot of responsibilities these days. We’ll be hiring somebody who can fill all of those responsibilities, which includes, obviously No. 1, being a talent evaluator and putting that draft together, but also everything else that goes along with being a GM in the NFL today," Rooney said. "Having said that, we’re looking for somebody that fits with the way we’re structured and our culture. We’re not really planning on changing our own structure here. It would have to be somebody we feel can fit that culture and that role."

That being said, the GM will continue to be an equal with the head coach. And Tomlin won't be assuming any additional roles.

"Mike’s role in all of this will most likely stay the same," Rooney said. "The new GM will step into Kevin’s role and fill that role in a similar way and similar set of responsibilities that Kevin has had. I don’t expect to make a dramatic change in those responsibilities, coach versus GM has worked well. We’re not really trying to make a big change there."

So it’s just my interpretation, but whoever replaces Kevin, it will be business as usual for DOPP/GM, with Kevin maybe having a lessor consultant role like what Bill Nunn had for several years after he stepped down.
If this is all true, then it sounds as if the owner is the sole decision making on the HC position. I’m not sure I would set up things any different. With the GM in charge, you are delegating all responsibility to another.

Slovan Sam

Reaction score
Rooney said. "Having said that, we’re looking for somebody that fits with the way we’re structured and our culture. We’re not really planning on changing our own structure here. It would have to be somebody we feel can fit that culture and that role."
Yeah. Great idea on the part of Rooney. Why change a culture that consists of hiring unqualified coaches who hire incompetent coordinators who call ineffective plays to an undisciplined locker room.

Something tells me if Rooney's career path didn't consist of inheriting a NFL franchise, he'd probably be changing careers a lot due negligence and poor decision making.

JP1977

Reaction score
Anything that gives Tomlin more input and power is a horrible move. Guy is below the line ,the Mendoza line.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah. Great idea on the part of Rooney. Why change a culture that consists of hiring unqualified coaches who hire incompetent coordinators who call ineffective plays to an undisciplined locker room.

Something tells me if Rooney's career path didn't consist of inheriting a NFL franchise, he'd probably be changing careers a lot due negligence and poor decision making.
Bob has a one track mind……and a Library card.

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
Great news!!! We’ll have 53 players that are all tweeners…dangerously average at every position they play, but man they can play 4-5 roles so obviously they have the pedigree to achieve MT’s standard of being dangerously average. Woo-hoo many near misses and first round playoff exits will continue to be the ceiling of the standard.

We’re just good enough to give ya hope and so bad we’ll frequently crush your dreams…heart attacks will be had, Pittsburgh Dad will be going effin insane and I’ll finally be forced off the ride for a few until we come to our senses or luck into a franchise QB to hide all the warts.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Great news!!! We’ll have 53 players that are all tweeners…dangerously average at every position they play, but man they can play 4-5 roles so obviously they have the pedigree to achieve MT’s standard of being dangerously average. Woo-hoo many near misses and first round playoff exits will continue to be the ceiling of the standard.

We’re just good enough to give ya hope and so bad we’ll frequently crush your dreams…heart attacks will be had, Pittsburgh Dad will be going effin insane and I’ll finally be forced off the ride for a few until we come to our senses or luck into a franchise QB to hide all the warts.
I wouldn't say Watt, Fitz, Heyward, and Najee are tweeners. But other than that carry on.😁

Slovan Sam

Reaction score
If Vrabel couldn't do it, and Reid couldn't do it, you can bank on Tomlin not being able to beat them when it matters, if ever. A fixed O-line, a healthy defense, and/or a successful draft pick or a veteran QB won't change this reality. If we want to have any chance whatsoever of finishing better than 2nd in the AFC North (and even that is a HUGE stretch), it's more imperative now than ever that Rooney makes some decisions that are in the best interest of his franchise. Until this happens, we remain cucked by the AFC North's new best, Cincinnati Bengals.

Congratulations to Cincy on your victory!

(and please wake up to the fact that we are absolutely screwed unless you intervene, Art)

livingthrudying

Reaction score
Sadly we are the bengals now. Think about it they stuck with Marvin Lewis way too long just like we are sticking with Tomlin too long. Both are coaches that underperformed (yes situations are different) but both coaches seem to have some sort of appeal to the owner despite their underperformances.