• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Tomlin giving up play calling duties

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score

stuntmanmike

Contributor
Reaction score
Don’t know is that great news or not Austin is one worst defensive coordinators in history getting fired just a few games into the season by the bungals. Hopefully Flores can help but this years defense is in a weird spot. last couple years couldn’t stop anybody. They didn’t sign any help or draft any help so hard to no where the help is coming from. Just pray Fitz, TJ, Ironhead2, don’t get hurt.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Don’t know is that great news or not Austin is one worst defensive coordinators in history getting fired just a few games into the season by the bungals. Hopefully Flores can help but this years defense is in a weird spot. last couple years couldn’t stop anybody. They didn’t sign any help or draft any help so hard to no where the help is coming from. Just pray Fitz, TJ, Ironhead2, don’t get hurt.
Austin had two stints at DC, he did well at the first, but had trouble in Cincinnati… but here is the thing… that Cinci defense was a bad mess in the middle of a rebuild when he took the fall … he was replaced midseason and the defense didn’t get better… and the next season it was bottom five, the year after it was the seventh worse defense. He made his bones at detroit, a place with poor talent evaluation… so he has some skills at least…

I see this staff like tge early 90’s staff, where Cowher had Dom capers at DC, but marvin lewis and dick le beau and John Mitchell… i think from 94-95…. Man that was an exquisite staff that melded ideas into blitzburgh…

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score

Lunar

220, 221 What ever it takes.
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
55dc3187b17bf749a0396cd8793ab9a5--sanford-and-son-elizabeth-i.jpg

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I see this as Coach Tomlin listening to me directly through my "SPIRIT" World contact.

Reality is Tomlin is smart, he is using his talent around him. He is realizing his friends (Butler and Fitchner) are gone and there definately is better coaching available. I'm glad he will be lessening his gameday input. Let's hope Austin & Flores can over instill the game plan durring the week.

His last friend "Bubbles" needs re-evaluting and if he can't get any better, not just tread water, then he needs to be chopped even if in-season.

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
PS

Thanks for posting 81 but don't forget to thank Parker for a very well written article.

Salute the nation

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Thank god. Bravo to Tomlin to throttle that ego back because what you've been doing wasn't working. Let your coaches coach.

That's actually the best news I've heard all offseason.
Hmmm...I wouldn't go that far. Let's not forget we lost TWO MAJOR starters upfront last year (explains the terrible run defense).

Here are the defensive rankings over the years - definitely not 'middle of the pack' numbers:

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Hmmm...I wouldn't go that far. Let's not forget we lost TWO MAJOR starters upfront last year (explains the terrible run defense).

Here are the defensive rankings over the years - definitely not 'middle of the pack' numbers:

They got steamrolled for over 42 points in their last 3 playoff games. They get spanked by sub .500 teams regularly. Whatever they're doing blows. I was ready for him to be gone 5 years ago, but hey maybe this will help get him over the top.

He started meddling when Dick Lebeau was still here and **** went downhill.

Let your coaches coach. He's going get credit no matter what.

You are correct about the run defense last year, but his body of work pushing 11 plus years speaks very loudly. Glad he's changing. Know your strengths and surround yourself with people smarter than you when it comes to coaches. Everyone wins.

Last edited:

steelhurt

Reaction score
We shall see! Tomlin is a control freak and its going to be difficult for him to let go. I think the addition of Brian Flores will really help this defense though.

black and gold apex

Reaction score
If he has been calling the plays, he will not have to worry about being a DC anywhere in the league.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
One can assume that Tomlin has more trust in his defensive coaching staff this year with Austin’s promotion and the addition of former Miami Dolphins‘ head coach, Brian Flores. Flores’ presence is even more of a reason for Tomlin to take a small step back in terms of how the defense is handled.

Because they are more trustworthy than Dick L. was. Gotcha.

Dude's a genius.

suncitysteel

Soli Deo Gloria
Forefather
Reaction score
My fear is any development of internal head-butting on the defensive coaching staff. Will Austin really be open to input from other coaches, including Flores? Will Flores be OK with Austin nixing any of his suggestions? Not that I've seen any indication that this may happen, but it's something to think about considering you have a high-profile coach - a former HC at that - come in and essentially assume a place on a lower rung on the ladder that is the defensive coach hierarchy. Plus the chip on his shoulder that comes as a result of his lawsuit against the league... mix it all together and you may have a recipe for something that would not be good.

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
I’d have to believe Flores will be on his best behavior after MT extended an olive branch to him in the form of said job offer. If Flores can’t March like a good soldier in this situation then he is likely not capable of that. My guess is he will be a model citizen not wanting to burn what may be the only bridge to where he has currently gotten himself.

I have a feeling the D will respond well to his presence, hopefully Austin does as well.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
My fear is any development of internal head-butting on the defensive coaching staff. Will Austin really be open to input from other coaches, including Flores? Will Flores be OK with Austin nixing any of his suggestions? Not that I've seen any indication that this may happen, but it's something to think about considering you have a high-profile coach - a former HC at that - come in and essentially assume a place on a lower rung on the ladder that is the defensive coach hierarchy. Plus the chip on his shoulder that comes as a result of his lawsuit against the league... mix it all together and you may have a recipe for something that would not be good.

Don't live in your fears................ snap out of it...............

Sometimes situations like this is the kick in the *** that is needed for said person. Flores could very well flourish in this scenario and that would be a good thing. Coach Tolmin needs to make sure those two (flores and Austin) are getting along with out Tomlin's power play of forced friendship.

With Coach Tomlin abidding to step aside and these two actually getting to coach, this could be the best defensive coaching staff we've had since DL left.

Salute the nation

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
Is Flores still suing the NFL? The conspiracy theorist in me says calls will not go the Stillers way this year. :LOL: