• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Tomlin giving up play calling duties

Wolf44

Reaction score
Is this being reported in other places?
I don't believe anything that comes out of Mr Bullshits mouth. This is the same guy that has been calling the defense for years bit like the true coward he is he never said he was doing it publicly and let Butler take the heat for HIS failed calls. I hate the POS.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't believe anything that comes out of Mr Bullshits mouth. This is the same guy that has been calling the defense for years bit like the true coward he is he never said he was doing it publicly and let Butler take the heat for HIS failed calls. I hate the POS.
I understand the fans wanting a change due to lack of playoff wins, but to call him a POS is a little overboard don't you think? Sure he could have been more open to who did what. But still....

Wolf44

Reaction score
No he is a POS phoney bullshitter. There is nothing about him that is worth a damn. 11 years of futility is enough.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
No he is a POS phoney bullshitter. There is nothing about him that is worth a damn. 11 years of futility is enough.
Calling the defense for years? If you are implying Tomlin making defensive or even offensive play calls occasionally, please name one HC in the NFL who doesn’t. If you are ranting that Tomlin makes EVERY defensive play call during the game, then cite your published source, because that’s total BS. You would be either biased about who the coach is which is fine, it’s your opinion; or you don’t understand the game or comprehend the complexity of managing the game from the sideline/Coach’s box at that level at all.

Man if you hate Tomlin, you must have completely detested Chin, who would override Jim Haslett, and Tim Lewis defensive calls dozens of time during certain games. Plus, while it was rare, he even vetoed LeBeau in certain circumstances. You know the guy who created the zone blitz scheme that PIT used since Cowher‘s first year at HC.

Wolf44

Reaction score
Tomlin called the defensive plays according to Butler but never had the sack to man up and tell the media. He let people think Butler was bad at his job when it was in fact Tomlin calling the plays not sometimes. As for calling every defensive play it is stupid to deal in absolutes. If Butler called 5 plays a game who was the real play caller? Mr. Bullshitter and the record speaks for itself.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Tomlin called the defensive plays according to Butler but never had the sack to man up and tell the media. He let people think Butler was bad at his job when it was in fact Tomlin calling the plays not sometimes. As for calling every defensive play it is stupid to deal in absolutes. If Butler called 5 plays a game who was the real play caller? Mr. Bullshitter and the record speaks for itself.
Is it uncommon for a coach to put his stamp on play calling on a certain side of the ball? Do you hear an announcement from head coaches when the do? Is it the head coaches job to right the media and fan base on misconceptions brought on by one or the other? No it is the head coaches job to win. Tomlin gets a season pass and a postseason fail. If they are changing things around now? I might say about time. I even understand those who want him replaced due to his deficiencies. Just not so sure he needs to take the time to straighten every media or fan belief. Rooney is well aware of who is responsible for what. He has the power to make necessary changes. If one isn't made you don't care for maybe that is where your rant should be directed.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Calling the defense for years? If you are implying Tomlin making defensive or even offensive play calls occasionally, please name one HC in the NFL who doesn’t. If you are ranting that Tomlin makes EVERY defensive play call during the game, then cite your published source, because that’s total BS. You would be either biased about who the coach is which is fine, it’s your opinion; or you don’t understand the game or comprehend the complexity of managing the game from the sideline/Coach’s box at that level at all.

Man if you hate Tomlin, you must have completely detested Chin, who would override Jim Haslett, and Tim Lewis defensive calls dozens of time during certain games. Plus, while it was rare, he even vetoed LeBeau in certain circumstances. You know the guy who created the zone blitz scheme that PIT used since Cowher‘s first year at HC.
Is it uncommon for a coach to put his stamp on play calling on a certain side of the ball? Do you hear an announcement from head coaches when the do? Is it the head coaches job to right the media and fan base on misconceptions brought on by one or the other? No it is the head coaches job to win. Tomlin gets a season pass and a postseason fail. If they are changing things around now? I might say about time. I even understand those who want him replaced due to his deficiencies. Just not so sure he needs to take the time to straighten every media or fan belief. Rooney is well aware of who is responsible for what. He has the power to make necessary changes. If one isn't made you don't care for maybe that is where your rant should be directed.

DANG, and here I thought I'd narrowed it down to who was responsible for the after game "dress code" interviews....................... ****

Salute the nation

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Again, I’ll call out the BS. Where is the link to Butler saying Tomlin called defensive plays for the game. I recall Butler’s remark during a press conference was in relation towards a question from a drive in a specific game. All HC override their coordinators on occasion. They are the HC. Noll did, Cowher did, and every HC you’ve ever known in the NFL has. Well, except Barry Switzer.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
DANG, and here I thought I'd narrowed it down to who was responsible for the after game "dress code" interviews....................... ****

Salute the nation
It was Ditka, Drink. Mike Ditka every time!

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
Every head coach on every level of sports calls plays. the question is how many and in what circumstances.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Every head coach on every level of sports calls plays. the question is how many and in what circumstances.
Doesn't matter if they are good at it. Problems surface well when they are not.(wearing my captain obvious cape today)

Wolf44

Reaction score
So the title of the thread now means Tomlin will no longer even override play calls Austin makes since he never called the plays ? Got it. If he wasn't the play caller there would be no reason for the announcement. Again Butler said he would have liked to call the plays but Tomlin was the play caller. Why would he mention that when he retired unless it galled him ?

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
So the title of the thread now means Tomlin will no longer even override play calls Austin makes since he never called the plays ? Got it. If he wasn't the play caller there would be no reason for the announcement. Again Butler said he would have liked to call the plays but Tomlin was the play caller. Why would he mention that when he retired unless it galled him ?
Sounds like he was answering a question.

As far as anything you hear in the offseason or the regular season .. you have to always take with a grain of salt. We want to lock into reports but half the time they are inaccurate. Welcome to sports media current day.

I am hoping this year is a better year with the additions. All of it is a wait and see for better or worse.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
:jump:Doesn't matter if they are good at it. Problems surface well when they are not.(wearing my captain obvious cape today)

Is that what you call that ratted up peice of junk baby blanket.................???? I'm not condeming yaz because we all need our security from something...............

:fish2::lalala:

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds like he was answering a question.

As far as anything you hear in the offseason or the regular season .. you have to always take with a grain of salt. We want to lock into reports but half the time they are inaccurate. Welcome to sports media current day.

I am hoping this year is a better year with the additions. All of it is a wait and see for better or worse.

Most certainly slash

I hope the two defensive coaching upgrades help a lot and fro the sounds of things it will.

Now we need the O'Canada to put on his rocket shoes and elevate to the moon in good offensive coordinating and if not, he can just stay there for good.

Salute the nation

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
The problem with Canada is he eats too much damn Canadian bacon…that **** is ham bro and we’re an American football team, not a bunch of Canucks!

Sack up and eat some real bacon Matt and let’s get some nice crispy offense working.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
****,....... ****......****.....

O'Canada needs to order my single slice 5 lb. bacon oredered and cooked to perfection, he'd be well versed from that point forth.

It would also get him a "FREE" ride in the LUXURY S 10 and I'd let Lunar be the driver but I don't think Lunar's driving ability would put the "right" kind of scared into him.

NO

I trhink I'd have to let Coolie take him for a ride, O'Canada would never corrilate BACON & football appropriately again........................

Salute the nation

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
The problem with Canada is he eats too much damn Canadian bacon…that **** is ham bro and we’re an American football team, not a bunch of Canucks!

Sack up and eat some real bacon Matt and let’s get some nice crispy offense working.
So live in the most redneck part if Canada. Well second most. Alberta is pretty ****** rednecks. I've traveled most of western Canada. Minimally in the east. I've never seen Canadian Bacon anymore then I've seen it when I visit the U.S.. we eat bacon in strip like everyone else.

stuntmanmike

Contributor
Reaction score
Nope. Tomlin let CLB call the D (but he could intercede any call, just like Chin did). As mentioned previously Tomlin/LeBeau defenses were top 5 defenses 5 out of the 8 seasons together. “If it wasn’t broke why fix it”. Obviously players were retiring, or degrading, so replacements were a priority.

CLB was not retained, because Butler (who was the heir apparent to LeBeau) was getting looks from other clubs, not to mention getting antsy waiting for LeBeau to retire. So a decision had to be made. Keep the seasoned disciple and let the teacher move on. As for what Butler said during his exit, you had a different interpretation from each writer who attended the press conference. Coach Buts had no ego, and was a non nonsense type of Coord/coach. He was pretty good at coaching LBs and scheming the defense around them. Defenses are changing yet again because of the rules. Stopping the run doesn’t mean DL taking up blockers, it’s penetration and pressure from the front seven. It upsets both running lanes and pass timing. Not to mention decreasing the time DBs have to cover. Defense has evolved every ten years since free agency started, because QBs and skill position players are the NFL’s celebrities.
Dude Butler didn’t call the defensive signals in the games for the Pittsburgh Steeler after Mike Tomlin was hired head coach. period. I don’t know where your getting your “insider” dope but go back and read what Butler said. There is nothing to interpret. Butler said Tomlin started calling the plays as soon as he took over. Period! Said he would have preferred to have called the defenses but it was Tomlin’s call. period. It was Tomlin was making all the bone headed calls where Mahomes said it was like playing “7 on 7” where all our defenders were constantly are out of position. Tomlin not Butler was calling the defense. Geez us get rid of the cool shades dude try a dose of reality. You’re sounding like Art jr.

Wolf44

Reaction score
Tomlin has his handprints all over this team and the results speak for themselves. The lengths his fanboys will go to protect the bullshitter are unbelievable. The end is thankfully closer every day.