• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Tomlin keeps Ben only to maintain "no losing season" streak?

TWEEK1106

Reaction score
Now hear me out.... What is the chance that the main reason Tomlin kept Ben was to try and maintain his "no losing season" record? Tomlin has a history of records being meaningful to him even if they aren't meaningful to the success of the team (see ABs 5 catches for 50yrds streak). And while Tomlin's streak of no losing seasons is about as useful as ABs streak it is definitely important to him and I'm wondering if he wasn't looking at this team going "now there is no way we're going to be competitive without Ben. Maybe if I keep him just 1 more year I can keep my streak alive"? We've decimated the roster but I think as long as Ben is on the team 8-8 is pretty realistic. Problem is that keeping him meant losing other players that the team could have really benefited from but who might not have shown in the win category without a franchise QB and that's why Tomlin decided to have a team that has a competent QB but with not nearly the components around him to be a contender instead of keeping the roster mostly intact but not having a franchise QB for next year and having his first losing season.

Thoughts?

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
If you have taken the time, back at the lab you would realize that we do more than make popcorn in instances such as these. My deflection of the standard is less than the perceived above the neck play. We make slpash where it is needed and have a towel ready for wipe at any moment. My biggest fear is that you may be onto my indecision with-in the perameters of record holding.

Salute the nation

FAB802

Contributor
Reaction score
LOL, no coach here has ever had the authority to do anything of the sort. None of them. The Steelers are run by the Rooney family, nothing happens without their approval.

black and gold apex

Reaction score
Would anything surprise you with how the Steelers are are operating today

steelhurt

Reaction score
I wouldn’t think bringing back a 39 year old QB with not much of a line to protect him, no running game yet, we shall see, and minus your possession receiver in JuJu would be a good plan to have a non losing season.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Now hear me out.... What is the chance that the main reason Tomlin kept Ben was to try and maintain his "no losing season" record? Tomlin has a history of records being meaningful to him even if they aren't meaningful to the success of the team (see ABs 5 catches for 50yrds streak). And while Tomlin's streak of no losing seasons is about as useful as ABs streak it is definitely important to him and I'm wondering if he wasn't looking at this team going "now there is no way we're going to be competitive without Ben. Maybe if I keep him just 1 more year I can keep my streak alive"? We've decimated the roster but I think as long as Ben is on the team 8-8 is pretty realistic. Problem is that keeping him meant losing other players that the team could have really benefited from but who might not have shown in the win category without a franchise QB and that's why Tomlin decided to have a team that has a competent QB but with not nearly the components around him to be a contender instead of keeping the roster mostly intact but not having a franchise QB for next year and having his first losing season.

Thoughts?

Tweek, you get a transfusion from Coach recently? Please provide links denoting Tomlin has a history of records being meaningful. The only record I’ve ever heard him comment on is Lombardi trophies. To emphasize, when Willie Parker was in the running for a team Rushing record or League Rushing title, he stated the only record that’s meaningful is how many SB trophies their are in the glass case at the entrance to the Steelers offices

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Tweek, you get a transfusion from Coach recently? Please provide links denoting Tomlin has a history of records being meaningful. The only record I’ve ever heard him comment on is Lombardi trophies. To emphasize, when Willie Parker was in the running for a team Rushing record or League Rushing title, he stated the only record that’s meaningful is how many SB trophies their are in the glass case at the entrance to the Steelers offices
Shhhh ... Quiet .... The narrative must be satisfied. Tomlin is the fooseball debil. :ROFLMAO: :rolleyes:

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
He went 8&8 with mason and duck
That season can be looked at two fold. He went all the way down to a third stringer and still managed not to have a losing season. With a highly touted QB that wasn't a rookie he yet again missed the playoffs. I guess it is which way you lay on the pillow.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
That season can be looked at two fold. He went all the way down to a third stringer and still managed not to have a losing season. With a highly touted QB that wasn't a rookie he yet again missed the playoffs. I guess it is which way you lay on the pillow.
Who was the highly touted QB in 2019? Please don't say Mason Rudolph Slash.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Who was the highly touted QB in 2019? Please don't say Mason Rudolph Slash.
That is who they had a 1st round grade on right? I would consider first round prospects highly touted right?

stuntmanmike

Contributor
Reaction score
This team out of the gate with tomlin, butler, Canada, reguardless of Ben, will be lucky to win 6 games... we’ll struggle to beat bengals

steelhurt

Reaction score
Tweek, you get a transfusion from Coach recently? Please provide links denoting Tomlin has a history of records being meaningful. The only record I’ve ever heard him comment on is Lombardi trophies. To emphasize, when Willie Parker was in the running for a team Rushing record or League Rushing title, he stated the only record that’s meaningful is how many SB trophies their are in the glass case at the entrance to the Steelers office
This team out of the gate with tomlin, butler, Canada, reguardless of Ben, will be lucky to win 6 games... we’ll struggle to beat bengals
We lost to them with Ben against some scrub QB at end of last season. Maybe we’re being too hard on the boys. They still have moves to make and a draft. Lots can change between now and start of season.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
That is who they had a 1st round grade on right? I would consider first round prospects highly touted right?
I'll say this every time I hear the Steelers thought Rudolph was a first-round prospect. They're lying. In no world do they take Edmunds and Washington over a QB who they though had first-round talent. Not a chance.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I'll say this every time I hear the Steelers thought Rudolph was a first-round prospect. They're lying. In no world do they take Edmunds and Washington over a QB who they though had first-round talent. Not a chance.
Maybe they were blowing smoke up our arse. So far he has played like a ______ rounder. I will let you Yinzers er or Yinzhers fill in the blank.🤓

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
OH, I thought you meant that Mason was highly touted outside of their own building. 'Cause outside of the Steelers, I don't think many people would have considered him as "touted" ... let alone "Highly Touted". J.A.G.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
8-8 next season, if Shades unleashes hell maybe 9-7.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Don't forget about that for sure extra game.
Last I looked they weren't saying for sure until May. Of course with an odd number of games then Shades can't go .500.