• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Tomlin keeps Ben only to maintain "no losing season" streak?

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Last I looked they weren't saying for sure until May. Of course with an odd number of games then Shades can't go .500.
So 9 and 8 or 8 and 9? I will go with 9 and 8 but thinking this could be the under season.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
So 9 and 8 or 8 and 9? I will go with 9 and 8 but thinking this could be the under season.
8-9. This year will be bad. Currently we are the #3 team in the division. Ravens and Browns are better than us.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
That season can be looked at two fold. He went all the way down to a third stringer and still managed not to have a losing season. With a highly touted QB that wasn't a rookie he yet again missed the playoffs. I guess it is which way you lay on the pillow.

That is who they had a 1st round grade on right? I would consider first round prospects highly touted right?

Dang, a lot of "pillow" talk and "touted" to go with it..............

Tomlin has is credentials and "WINS" is one of them but make no mistake we are going to find out soon enough if he has enough to caoch wining seasons without a FRANCHISE QUARTERBACK and the argueably most talented roster in the last ten years.

Salute the nation

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Dang, a lot of "pillow" talk and "touted" to go with it..............

Tomlin has is credentials and "WINS" is one of them but make no mistake we are going to find out soon enough if he has enough to caoch wining seasons without a FRANCHISE QUARTERBACK and the argueably most talented roster in the last ten years.
With the possible exception of Sean Peyton, no head coach has done less with more.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
At the moment, the Steelers stand to be in pretty good financial shape next year. I could see a "business man" looking at the situation as... "What do we need to do to have a competitive team that at least doesn't go 2-14 but not tie ourselves up financially so that we can't actually begin a rebuild process with a shot of adrenaline next year?"

In that light, it makes perfect sense to sign Ben to a "sunset tour", make the season all about him, do what you can to make him look as good as possible as you wrap up his career and , ya although you didn't make the playoffs or anything, did YOU see Ben's last 500 yard game? type of thing.

Then, next year they are sitting on a pile of cash, still have a couple of major pieces on defense and offense and they have a ****-ton of cash to find a new QB they can work with and continue to ride Claypool, Johnson and Washington so you remain competitive while you rebuild.

The keys are Watt and Fitzpatrick on defense and as noted, Claypool and Johnson with a side fo Washington on offense.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Tweek, you get a transfusion from Coach recently? Please provide links denoting Tomlin has a history of records being meaningful. The only record I’ve ever heard him comment on is Lombardi trophies. To emphasize, when Willie Parker was in the running for a team Rushing record or League Rushing title, he stated the only record that’s meaningful is how many SB trophies their are in the glass case at the entrance to the Steelers offices

You remain fixated on me. Look, Tomlin has not won a playoff game since 2016, and I will bet you this continues to be the case after this season. The Steelers were ripped apart in free agency, and have brutal schedule with a new OC for the 2021 season Well see what type of coach Tomlin is now, and thank goodness he has not been extended.

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
You remain fixated on me. Look, Tomlin has not won a playoff game since 2016, and I will bet you this continues to be the case after this season. The Steelers were ripped apart in free agency, and have brutal schedule with a new OC for the 2021 season Well see what type of coach Tomlin is now, and thank goodness he has not been extended.

No, we all know you're a clown. He just tells it like it is more often than the rest of us.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Fixated? Coach don’t flatter yourself, your idiosyncrasies are now adjectives for which to identify posts on this board.

I’ll take your bet. Tomlin will win a playoff game for the 2021 season. Terms are simple, you pay my contributor fees for the year if he does win, I’ll pay yours if he doesnt. So as to facilitate the terms of acceptance without excuses, we pay Justin the yearly fee now and whoever wins gets reimbursed next year. No modifications to the terms, either accept them or you just refused your bet. If you do accept, good luck. If you don’t, it won’t be a surprise.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
I guess Coach again ignores his own wager request. Mr. Dumb *** does what he is. No surprise there. Thankfully, he won’t be heard for another couple weeks. Maybe Coolie can ban him on Draft day!!!! There is an idea!

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Last I looked they weren't saying for sure until May. Of course with an odd number of games then Shades can't go .500.
Sure he can. 8-8-1! 🏆

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I guess Coach again ignores his own wager request. Mr. Dumb *** does what he is. No surprise there. Thankfully, he won’t be heard for another couple weeks. Maybe Coolie can ban him on Draft day!!!! There is an idea!
Having him away 30 days last draft was very very enjoyable.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Fixated? Coach don’t flatter yourself, your idiosyncrasies are now adjectives for which to identify posts on this board.

I’ll take your bet. Tomlin will win a playoff game for the 2021 season. Terms are simple, you pay my contributor fees for the year if he does win, I’ll pay yours if he doesnt. So as to facilitate the terms of acceptance without excuses, we pay Justin the yearly fee now and whoever wins gets reimbursed next year. No modifications to the terms, either accept them or you just refused your bet. If you do accept, good luck. If you don’t, it won’t be a surprise.

EXCELLENT bet wager. No mish-mashing just straight forward and easy to determine winner. GREAT Coach should jump on this but maybe his luxury car needs gasoline that month,......... Keep the heater going that time O' year.

Salute the nation

TWEEK1106

Reaction score
Tweek, you get a transfusion from Coach recently? Please provide links denoting Tomlin has a history of records being meaningful. The only record I’ve ever heard him comment on is Lombardi trophies. To emphasize, when Willie Parker was in the running for a team Rushing record or League Rushing title, he stated the only record that’s meaningful is how many SB trophies their are in the glass case at the entrance to the Steelers offices

As I said Tomlin has changed playcalling just to preserve records. Not out of the realm of being a possibility that he values his own highly touted (but meaningless) record.

***When asked why he allowed the team to run an additional play to extend Browns record rather than taking a knee and securing the victory, Tomlin said, “He’s got a significant record that kind of exemplifies what he is doing in his career, and you know, we want to support him in that.”***

***Responding to a comment on some people seeing that play as putting an individual ahead of the team, Tomlin responded saying, “I don’t care to be honest with you, I really don’t.”***

SteveA

Reaction score
We get the chance to have Big Ben at QB for one more, final year, what the **** is wrong with that?

Here in Los Angeles, Kobe Bryant, at the end of his career stayed on for two additional years when his prime was past. At times it was painful to watch, but he was still Kobe, and I made sure I watched him as much as I could.

As life turned out I am glad I did it I am glad the Lakers paid Kobe the final two years, & I got to watch him as I am also glad the Steelers are paying Ben & I will watch him...

This is the last hurrah, enjoy it

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
As I said Tomlin has changed playcalling just to preserve records. Not out of the realm of being a possibility that he values his own highly touted (but meaningless) record.

***When asked why he allowed the team to run an additional play to extend Browns record rather than taking a knee and securing the victory, Tomlin said, “He’s got a significant record that kind of exemplifies what he is doing in his career, and you know, we want to support him in that.”***

***Responding to a comment on some people seeing that play as putting an individual ahead of the team, Tomlin responded saying, “I don’t care to be honest with you, I really don’t.”***

This is only one instance. I said a history of such actions.

Besides IIRC they got possession on TOD at the two minute warning in that game. A one possession game at that and technically a 1st down was needed to ice it. They threw a high percentage pass to Brown, got the 1st and then Ben kneeled three times to end it.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score

Its been a week. Either Coach is in jail with the Spring Breakers or he knows he would lose another bet on this forum. If anyone sees him posting on another thread or in the non-football forum, please remind him not to hide and either honor his bet or admit he‘s a Dumb ***.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Its been a week. Either Coach is in jail with the Spring Breakers or he knows he would lose another bet on this forum. If anyone sees him posting on another thread or in the non-football forum, please remind him not to hide and either honor his bet or admit he‘s a Dumb ***.

Hide? From you? Hahaha. I never see you on some part of the forum, you are the one who hides. As for the record next year, I correctly predicted the Steelers would be picked apart from free agency. With players like Dupree, Nelson, Alualu and Hilton, out the defense took a huge hit ,and can not afford any injury losses.Our next man up to replace who we lost is also lacking.

But you did mention a bet. Okay, dummy I'll bet you Tomlin fails to win a layoff game again this season, making it 5 seasons of no playoff wins. Now comes the part where you drop like the fly you are in a freezer. Ping me if you accept terms.

I wait until the draft is offer before an official prediction, but I'm seeing a losing season in 2021. I have spoken, those who remain fixated on what I say might have to wait a bit longer for a reply :)

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Hide? From you? Hahaha. I never see you on some part of the forum, you are the one who hides. As for the record next year, I correctly predicted the Steelers would be picked apart from free agency. With players like Dupree, Nelson, Alualu and Hilton, out the defense took a huge hit ,and can not afford any injury losses.Our next man up to replace who we lost is also lacking.

But you did mention a bet. Okay, dummy I'll bet you Tomlin fails to win a layoff game again this season, making it 5 seasons of no playoff wins. Now comes the part where you drop like the fly you are in a freezer. Ping me if you accept terms.

I wait until the draft is offer before an official prediction, but I'm seeing a losing season in 2021. I have spoken, those who remain fixated on what I say might have to wait a bit longer for a reply :)
Drop like a fly in a freezer. You are one odd ball ******. Wow you predicted the team would lose players being tight against the cap. Pure genius. For your next prediction there will be daylight and darkness. I have spoken hahahaha we know which what you speak. It is always inflated and fill with window licking comments. Once again always trying to change a bet to be something you have a chance of winning. What a maroon.

Stewey

Reaction score
We get the chance to have Big Ben at QB for one more, final year, what the **** is wrong with that?

Here in Los Angeles, Kobe Bryant, at the end of his career stayed on for two additional years when his prime was past. At times it was painful to watch, but he was still Kobe, and I made sure I watched him as much as I could.

As life turned out I am glad I did it I am glad the Lakers paid Kobe the final two years, & I got to watch him as I am also glad the Steelers are paying Ben & I will watch him...

This is the last hurrah, enjoy it
Whats wrong with it is that it will be painful to watch.

Ben getting a pass because he's still Ben doesn't work for me.

Stewey

Reaction score
The Steelers have only 9 losing seasons since 1970, tops in the NFL.

It is imperative that Tomlin holds that record to single digits!!

Playoff wins are secondary!!lol

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score

Dumb ***, I didn’t mention the bet, you did. See post 35. I accepted your bet and gave you the terms. One year board subscription to the winner. We both pay Justin now, and the winner is reimbursed next January. That was over a week ago. You’ve been absent from the board since. Florida dementia must be setting in for you.

Yes the ubiquitous “I correctly predicted” statement. Another trait mocked by everyone on this board. Give it a rest, you couldn’t predict your own bowel movement after eating in a Mexican restaurant.

Waiting for the draft before an “official” prediction? You have spoken? Sounds more like someone passively backing out of his own bet. Either acknowledged it and contact Justin to give your payment of terms or keep your pie hole shut and go back to polishing your luxury car.