• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Tomlin Rated #6 Best NFL Coach

steelhurt

Reaction score
Last edited:

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
Tomlin annoys me with his sayings and coach speak during press conferences but the guy has done a pretty good job. This is his first head coach stint and obviously he's made mistakes but he's shown us the ability to regain the team after it seems its been lost
Look at 2013. Start 2-6 and then finish 6-2 and no one wanted us to make the playoffs. They would've done some damage. Most teams don't come back from the grave. Again this year, some terrible losses but they put it together and rolled after the loss to NO.

Six seems like a fair number.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
TOMLIN.jpg

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
In before someone posts some stupid meme about "tomlin haterz"....oh wait...damn, nevermind:rolleyes:

Did I hurt your feelings, Supe? I've never had a mod alter MY post before

omar loves supe

Last edited by a moderator:

blitzburghv5

Reaction score
FFFFFuck.....we already know where this discussion is headed.............

Get the sticks................break out the rotted, decayed horse carcass.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Tomlin debate: Season 8 Episode 1

Cowhers players, losing to sucky teams, no playoff wins in 5 seasons, only got the job because of the Rooney Rule................yada ****** yada ****** yada !!!!

Cue your lines............post em if ya got em !!!!

Steel G

Reaction score
6 is a fair ranking....but this is terrible:

His winning percentage is .641, fourth best among active coaches and significantly better than the .566 of Steelers coaching legend Chuck Noll.

What a hilariously stupid comparison. Noll coached 23 seasons to Tomlin's 8. He also took over a laughing stock team and by his 8th season had them a two time SB champion with 5 straight years of post season play, back when only 4 teams in the conference got to the post season.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Coach Tomlin based on his winning percentage over 8 seasons, the fact he's never had a losing season, five double digit winning seasons and two SB appearances with one win. This is not a Tomlin endorsement by me. I'm only providing some facts. Of course Belicheat is #1.

Here is the link of the ratings.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...l-coaches-1-32-no-easy-choices-except-at-no-1

The facts are the facts. According to some here - he should be driven out of town...

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm pissed that the Rats are ahead of us. Though if this was done a year ago, the other Harbaugh would have been up there. And now he's out of the league on a rail!

Hardy ******* Har Harbaugh...

Bigappleyinzer

Reaction score
mach.gif

WTF is this kumbaya crap

How we gon' have a proper Tomlin discussion without the likes of:

Wingman
Idioteque
Vader

blitzburghv5

Reaction score
The facts are the facts. According to some here - he should be driven out of town...

Some still are upset that the job wasnt given to Whisenhunt...and theres even a few that wanted Russ Grimm to get the job...Is Russ even coaching still ?

One of the biggest fallacies is that Tomlin was a product of the Rooney Rule. This is not entirely correct. Ron Rivera was interview prior to Tomlin. So technically Ron was the qualifer for the team complying with the letter of the rule by interviewing a minority candidate and Ron was the first minority they interviewed, not Mike.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Some still are upset that the job wasnt given to Whisenhunt...and theres even a few that wanted Russ Grimm to get the job...Is Russ even coaching still ?

One of the biggest fallacies is that Tomlin was a product of the Rooney Rule. This is not entirely correct. Ron Rivera was interview prior to Tomlin. So technically Ron was the qualifer for the team complying with the letter of the rule by interviewing a minority candidate and Ron was the first minority they interviewed, not Mike.

I know the story and very well - BECAUSE - three times a year we have this same conversation here at SN...

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
6 is a fair ranking....but this is terrible:

His winning percentage is .641, fourth best among active coaches and significantly better than the .566 of Steelers coaching legend Chuck Noll.

What a hilariously stupid comparison. Noll coached 23 seasons to Tomlin's 8. He also took over a laughing stock team and by his 8th season had them a two time SB champion with 5 straight years of post season play, back when only 4 teams in the conference got to the post season.

I was gonna say, in the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
Again, I don't think he should be run out of town. There are a lot worse head coaches. I don't think he's awful. I don't think he's great. I think he's average and his natural state is somewhere between 8-8 and 10-6 every year. In ten years he will still be head coach of the Steelers. It is what it is.

Shane Falco

Pain is temporary, Glory lasts forever
Contributor
Reaction score
Hey, this isn't where I parked my car...

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
I think I'll just head on over and donate now .... seems a better option than getting involved in this again. :rolleyes:

ark steel

Reaction score
I was gonna say, in the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
Again, I don't think he should be run out of town. There are a lot worse head coaches. I don't think he's awful. I don't think he's great. I think he's average and his natural state is somewhere between 8-8 and 10-6 every year. In ten years he will still be head coach of the Steelers. It is what it is.

His contract hasn't been extended, yet, so there seems to be some indication that 10 years won't happen with continuation of non-playoff seasons. Doesn't mean that conjecture is true, but possible. He may get extended at any time.

steelhurt

Reaction score
You guys are a rip! We never like our head coach. Hell, there was lots of criticism of Cowher that he couldn't win the big game. There was criticism of Emperor Noll (RIP Chuck) that he was too old and the game passed him by.

I know this is hard to believe but gentlemen this was not intended to be a bash Tomlin thread. Its just stating some facts, that's all. We need to abandon this thought that Rooney is going to fire Tomlin anytime soon. How do you fire a coach who has never turned in a losing season in the 8 years he's been here? It ain't going to happen guys, at least not for a while. Tomlin would have to turn in t least back to back losing seasons before Rooney considers a replacement imo.

blitzburghv5

Reaction score
You guys are a rip! We never like our head coach. Hell, there was lots of criticism of Cowher that he couldn't win the big game. There was criticism of Emperor Noll (RIP Chuck) that he was too old and the game passed him by.

I know this is hard to believe but gentlemen this was not intended to be a bash Tomlin thread. Its just stating some facts, that's all. We need to abandon this thought that Rooney is going to fire Tomlin anytime soon. How do you fire a coach who has never turned in a losing season in the 8 years he's been here? It ain't going to happen guys, at least not for a while. Tomlin would have to turn in t least back to back losing seasons before Rooney considers a replacement imo.

Not sayin you intended it to be a bash thread, but the way things work here at SN, is some cant resist rehashing the same argument and its destined to spiral into that (bash thread). Id LOVE for it to be all about rating him against his peers in the league, but it wont last--this thread can go 5 pages or it can go 75.....

Hes rated 6th best......i think hes top 5 (id move Coughlin down) and that would suggest hes better than avg in the league (hes better than 80% of the leagues coaches goin by this article)--- but hes still growing/learning. I also know we are a spoiled bunch and have extremely high standards for this team and its coaches. We arent allowed down years...........

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
Is the arrow pointing up?

blitzburghv5

Reaction score
We reclaimed our rightful spot at the top of the division this year...our offense is top 5 in production, and we have youth and talent at skill positions on that offensive unit..so hell yeah that arrow is pointing up

Vader

Reaction score
Not sayin you intended it to be a bash thread, but the way things work here at SN, is some cant resist rehashing the same argument and its destined to spiral into that (bash thread). Id LOVE for it to be all about rating him against his peers in the league, but it wont last--this thread can go 5 pages or it can go 75.....

Hes rated 6th best......i think hes top 5 (id move Coughlin down) and that would suggest hes better than avg in the league (hes better than 80% of the leagues coaches goin by this article)--- but hes still growing/learning. I also know we are a spoiled bunch and have extremely high standards for this team and its coaches. We arent allowed down years...........

This is what really happens at SN. A thread full of people bitching about people that haven't said a word. People can't just read the article and just give a comment. Nope, they have to start bitching about others... typical.