• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Tomlin threatens benching

Stewey

Reaction score
“They can catch the ball, or they can get replaced by those who will catch it,” Tomlin said Tuesday at his weekly news conference. “It’s as simple as that.”

“The coaching of catching the football with those that are employed to do so at this level is not something I’ve got a lot of patience for,” Tomlin said.

“It’s not something any of us have a lot of patience for. Those guys’ jobs are to catch the football, particularly the routine ones. Where there is a pattern, you should expect to see less opportunities. That’s just fair. That’s just part of what this business and our game is all about.”

https://triblive.com/sports/steelers-mike-tomlin-threatens-benchings-if-receivers-drops-continue/

To have to teach a professional ball catcher to catch? Tomlin is so right.

Last edited:

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Can he have the same threat for the OL? I'd love to see Dotson at LG and put Feiler at RT. I think that would keep the pass blocking adequate and give a boost for the run blocking.

Agreed. I mentioned that as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
It’s all well and good until James Washington is running routes all by himself

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

McCloud is catching over 90% of his target....and in his limited action McDonald has caught 82% of his so they an join him

alancac98

Reaction score
Then stop the OC from calling plays and patterns that are 3 yards and require the receiver to run for yards after the catch. The receivers are turning to run to get yards before the catch is secured because they know a 2 yard pattern will not get 1st downs! It's the dumb *** who calls the plays and draws them up that is the problem!

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
McCloud is catching over 90% of his target....and in his limited action McDonald has caught 82% of his so they an join him

RayRay McCloud of the Clan McCloud there can be only one. Do you want to live forever Highlander?

mdk2

Reaction score
I'm all for benching Ebron, let Vance and Radar run 4 yard routes and they will have a higher probability of catching the ball.

KCSTEELER

Reaction score
Guess it’s time to unleash hell again. This time from the bench.

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Talk is cheap Coach Cliche, do something about it. Time to bench DJ, Ebron and Sphincter

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
Talk is cheap Coach Cliche, do something about it. Time to bench DJ, Ebron and Sphincter

Don't bench DJ. Coach him up to look in the pass (as Cope has consistently mentioned) and be more focused on actually catching it before you're ready to do something after it. You just see it with DJ, he's always looking ahead of himself. That can be worked on.

**** Erica Ebron IMO. Should be benched immediately.

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Don't bench DJ. Coach him up to look in the pass (as Cope has consistently mentioned) and be more focused on actually catching it before you're ready to do something after it. You just see it with DJ, he's always looking ahead of himself. That can be worked on.

yeah DJ seems to be running before he catches the ball....that is fixable. JuJu seems to have this same issue at times on these short ******* throws short of the sticks. Claypool has some drops but also needs to fight more for the ball.

ebron makes some nice catches and then drops ******* easy ones.....let's see what McDonald does, at least he knows how to block

still need to see more passes about 10-20 yards deep to keep everyone honest

Last edited:

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Moving DJ and Ebron to the rear of the rotation need not be a permanent thing. This would HOPEFULLY challenge these players to get their **** together and gain playing time. Washington deserves to be moved forward, even Claypool deserves more reps. I agree that DJ’s issues seem to be mental and trying to do too much to compensate for the HC and OC shortcomings. Hopefully allowing him to watch from the sidelines more, will get him moving in the right direction again. Too many anointed him as the next AB, instead of making him earn the right to be the first DJ.

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
I hear what you're saying, but by benching both, you're taking a lot out of what makes this offense work ATM. They can't run for ****, so they're relying on the quick route passing game and hoping they get some YAC. Until they shore up the run (which may never happen this season), they have to rely on what they're doing currently. DJ is the quickest and savviest RR of the bunch (JuJu likely the smartest, but he's limited).

They have to have him on the field. It makes Washington's life easier as well as the rest of them.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I think you just decrease their touches. Just enough for DJ and Ebron to notice. It is like a slap on the *** but doesn't take their ability to get open off the field. Or you make a new rule for every drop 15 minutes on the juggs after practice. Some will say but but it's a concentration thing not a hands thing. Well if you get a slap on the *** it could very well help you with your concentration. Well except a few of you fruity ******* that would just enjoy it. But that is a subject not for another day.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Steeler Nation mobile app

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
Tomlin is all mouth. If this was his philosophy all along, Washington would be on the field more. I saw a glimmer of hope after seeing how frustrated Tomlin was during his post Raven game conference call...and then the Steelers lay a ******* egg Monday Night. Blah Blah Blah...Rah Rah Rah...Captain Cool Shades is nothing but a sound byte

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Threats are one thing, ACTION speaks way louder.
We've heard that before then the next week he trots the same players out there again. Are there 5 more NFL caliber receivers on the practice squad that we don't know about?
For one thing I'd bench Ebron and put McDonald out there more.

fogdoctor

Reaction score
Instead of just letting the play happen, all the WRs are trying to outdo each other and play hero football. I appreciate the desire to be the best and make a play BUT it can get toxic and then the drop start.