• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Top 4 Steelers’ Priority Positions for the 2022 NFL Draft

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The off-season for the Pittsburgh Steelers is now off and running. Although the free agency market has yet to begin, it is never too early to start looking towards the NFL Draft in April. With so many Steelers key contributors set to hit the open market and big shoes to fill at quarterback, there is a multitude of different ways General Manager Kevin Colbert and Head Coach Mike Tomlin could approach this year’s draft. We’ve already seen some different “way-too-early” mock drafts, but I’m coming into this with a bit of a different approach to it. Looking back to last year, it was a common consensus that the running back position was top priority in the draft. Of course, there were big names along the offensive line who were available for the Steelers, but they decided to select Najee Harris with the first pick. But looking at this year, there is no common priority position all of Steeler Nation agrees on. So, I wanted to share what should be the Steelers’ top four priority positions going into draft season.

Before we dive in, I want to share a spoiler alert; you won’t find the quarterback position on this list. Of course a quarterback is towards the top of the shopping list for the Steelers, but seeing the level of talent the 2022 quarterback draft class features, they’ll need to address that need through free agency. I simply can’t see them pulling the trigger on Kenny Pickett, Desmond Ridder, Matt Corral, or any other rookie quarterback with the continued offensive line woes and key needs on defense. The Steelers may draft a quarterback, but don’t expect it to be a marquee name early on in the draft.

So, with that said…

PRIORITY NUMBER 1: Offensive line

There is no doubt the Steelers need to bolster the offensive line, but it’s a bit more complicated than that. Last year’s selection of Harris helps make this pick even higher than it was last year, in helping the new quarterback’s life (whoever that may be) easier. The Steelers’ 2022 draft class may look similar to last year’s with multiple offensive linemen selected. For this year, the Steelers will have a lot of the bigger names available to them, in addition to a few diamonds in the rough. For the first round (at this moment the 20th overall selection), I could see them calling the obvious Tyler Linderbaum (C) out of Iowa or Kenyon Green (OG) from Texas A&M to help repair the inside of the offensive line. For the outside tackle positions, they could land a decent prospect in the later rounds with the likes of Thayer Munford from Ohio State, Rasheed Walker from Penn State, or even Luke Goedeke out of Central Michigan. With a new starting quarterback, the first step for success is a strong offensive line. The Steelers should be drinking from the “offensive linemen Kool-Aid” early and often in this year’s draft.

PRIORITY NUMBER 2: Inside Linebacker

Going into this past season, the Steelers’ linebacker corps wasn’t a large worry. Tomlin felt comfortable with Devin Bush’s return from injury, new addition Joe Schobert while being backed by Robert Spillane, Ulysees Gilbert III, Marcus Allen, and Buddy Johnson. As the season transpired, Bush didn’t exactly look like himself, the depth players couldn’t step up, and Minkah Fitzpatrick had to spend more time in the box to help stop the run. The Steelers are going to need to do in the draft what they typically do, in drafting an inside linebacker. Because I have this as their second priority, we’d be looking at day 2 prospects who will be available. This includes Quay Walker from Georgia, Christian Harris from Alabama, or Chad Muma from Wyoming. The Steelers are going to need to reload in the middle of the defense and get the help TJ Watt and Alex Highsmith need in rounding out the linebacker group. Colbert and Tomlin will have good talent on defense available to them on the second day and they’ll need to take full advantage of that.

PRIORITY NUMBER 3: Cornerback

The Steelers’ secondary has always been a pain point. They have yet to solidify a core group of players, as they tend to rely on free agency to address the secondary concerns. But in 2022, they are going to need to call on a young cornerback to help plan for the future. Joe Haden may not be returning to Pittsburgh and Ahkello Witherspoon is set to become a free agent. Both players may or may not be in Pittsburgh in 2022 so Cam Sutton is the only cornerback we can fully expect to resume his role. So, who is going to be available after the second round? First would be Coby Bryant from Cincinnati. If he isn’t there, I’d be looking at Tariq Castro-Fields from Penn State, Trent McDuffie from Washington, Mykael Wright from Oregon, or Derion Kendrick from Georgia. The Steelers will be looking at cornerbacks who can play outside, specifically on the left side of the field, and those names could do just that. I am a bit suspect of the Steelers needing to draft a cornerback after the Artie Burns experiment, but I think this year’s draft class has good depth at defensive backs to help minimize any “bust” potential.

PRIORITY NUMBER 4: Wide Receiver

There is a very good chance the Steelers’ receiving corps is going to look a lot different than the last couple of years. JuJu Smith-Schuster is set to hit the open market again, along with James Washington and Ray-Ray McCloud. With the Steelers most likely spending the bulk of their cap space on a quarterback in free agency, they’ll be pretty restricted in selecting a talented receiver in the later rounds. Lucky for the Steelers, Colbert has done well in this arena. But taking this a step further, it is going to be the slot position that will need the attention. We can safely assume Diontae Johnson and Chase Claypool will stay on the outside, so the Steelers will be looking for a gritty, reliable receiver who can make catches in traffic and is an effective route runner. A few names we should be looking at are Pittsburgh-native Skyy Moore from Western Michigan, Khalil Shakir from Boise State, and Calvin Turner from Hawaii. To fit within Offensive Coordinator Matt Canada’s offense, the receivers need to do more than just catch, and all three of those prospects would fit well in Pittsburgh.

What are your top priorities for the draft? Do you think they’ll select a quarterback in the first round? Let us know in the comments!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I want to say Oline/QB/CB then Dline,SS and WR. They can tweak Joe's contract and draft another ILBer.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
1. QB - I understand the Steelers may not heavily invest in this position during the offseason, but it is easily the No. 1 need.
2. OL - In reality, this is 2-4 because the Steelers need a new starting C, RG, and RT.
3. CB - Both starting CBs are UFAs. Even if they bring back Witherspoon, the Steelers need a CB1 and while the draft is very deep at the position, I'd prefer if they signed a proven veteran.
4. WR - This team needs some speed at wide receiver. Johnson and Claypool aren't even moving into next season.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I think ignoring the season long run stopping issues would be a big mistake. Regardless of Alu and Tuitt attempt to come back and regain their form.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
1.Oline
2.Oline
3.QB
4.Tuitt back

madinsomniac

Reaction score
I agree that the top need is a franchise qb… though that isn’t likely to be found in this draft

The need that we most need to fill is finding a stud on the oline that’s ready asap

After that it’s bpa at several positions
ILB, a speed WR, a depth or developmental DL, a backup RB, a CB … maybe a secong olineman

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
1A and 1B are absolutely D-line and O-line. Fix those and everything else becomes a whole lot easier.

Here's a good article by Fittipaldo on the PG about where all players stand and what is likely or should happen. For those ignoring our D-line, you can see just how weak it is now and will be after 2022.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
here's an idea...

with Sutton having such flexibility, why not flip him to Safety, resign Witherspoon and move CB up on the list of need? Granted we suck at drafting CBs (though we did draft Sutton) but if a stud CB (Ahmad Gardner) fell to us, we should consider snagging him. As indicated above, we could draft some talented OL later in the draft.

Also, with the Browns and likely letting their starting C go and maybe even the Ravens do the same, we could solidify our OL with either of those guys. While we do have bodies at OL, Banner, IMO, is a injury risk. Love the guy, but he's injury prone. We do need to bring in a few OL in free agency.

Though by doing that, we'll likely spend our way out of getting a guy like Jimmy G.

stuntmanmike

Contributor
Reaction score
Best player available DL, ILB, OL Drafting at 20 ur not going to get much of a qb, db, wr in termed of cant miss prospect. We have so many holes hard to get too excited about the draft… we do have some cap money though.. they need to really address “who” the Steeler are going to be for the next 5 years I don’t see Canada, Tomlin, and which ever tomlin’s buddy they hire as DC, getting this critical job done. Offense is going to be radically different and if they want to stop the bungals they better get radical on defense! Don’t see that happening ppl!

stuntmanmike

Contributor
Reaction score
here's an idea...

with Sutton having such flexibility, why not flip him to Safety, resign Witherspoon and move CB up on the list of need? Granted we suck at drafting CBs (though we did draft Sutton) but if a stud CB (Ahmad Gardner) fell to us, we should consider snagging him. As indicated above, we could draft some talented OL later in the draft.

Also, with the Browns and likely letting their starting C go and maybe even the Ravens do the same, we could solidify our OL with either of those guys. While we do have bodies at OL, Banner, IMO, is a injury risk. Love the guy, but he's injury prone. We do need to bring in a few OL in free agency.

Though by doing that, we'll likely spend our way out of getting a guy like Jimmy G.
They are definitely going to have to use free agency just how is a good question

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
#1 QB - I'd handle this in FA but I know that the Steelers are going to grab a QB in one of the first two rounds. #damnit!

#2 OL - Draft and Free Agency, we need two and one of them needs to have experience to round out the youth

#3 ILB - Draft Devin Bush lost his mojo...and his heart...He needs a Batman to his Robin

#4 DL - Draft - Need to replace Tuitt either this year or next.

#5 CB - Draft Although I see the Steelers re-signing the DBs and Safeties the next two years, we need some depth

steelhurt

Reaction score
We’re at 42 million under the cap. Try and unload Tuitt who never plays and get rid of his 9 million dollar cap. Then try and trade or just flat out release Shoebert who is average at best and save another 7 million in cap. Next cut Banner and save another 3 million. That’s 19 million on top of the 42 million. And if you’re not going to play Derrick Watt, then move on and save another 4 million. That’s plenty to extend Minkah, possibly Juju, and If the price is right, Edmunds. Then add a quality OL, DL, ILB, CB. Sign Trubisky with an incentive loaded contract.
Draft first round Lindenbaum the center from Iowa, second round best DL on the board, third round best receiver on the board.
Could go a long way in fixing things.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Lindenbaum is going top 10 in recent mocks I've seen. Funny thing I see with him is he is an inch or two taller than Green and 10 lbs lighter so he is a "skinny" guy in comparison. Linderbaum definitely is stronger and has better technique - both of which can be learned and improved upon by Green. Green was not a natural C. Despite how bad he was this year, he learned better technique and he does have great athleticism (why the Steelers liked him so much). During his 1st NFL offseason, he will definitely get stronger and may add 5 or 10 lbs of muscle would be my guess. He will also be working on his technique and should improve significantly. Also, other top centers in the draft and in the league are right around Green's weight (give or take 10 lbs) so the weight argument at C is ridiculous. You don't really want your center to be 325. He needs to be strong and athletic. That's why Pouncey (6'4" and a little over 300. So, another "skinny" C) was so good. Green, has really no chance to play G in the NFL. He is truly too small for the position in the NFL. I think he will be much better heading into this season. Will it be enough to maintain his starting position? We shall see. But, if he remains at C, I see him making significant leaps going into year 2 and even year 3. If they try to move him to G, I see him being gone after his rookie contract.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
During his 1st NFL offseason, he will definitely get stronger and may add 5 or 10 lbs of muscle would be my guess. He will also be working on his technique and should improve significantly.
Not everyone improves even with coaching. I'm hoping Green is in the category of making huge strides because his play last season showed he did not belong on the field.