• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Top 5 Steelers Hall of Famers

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
I don't think I can argue against any of these

I might move Webster and Lambert ahead of Harris thogugh

fedderone

A Legend In My Spare Time
Contributor
Reaction score
1) Greene
2) Webster
3) Lambert
4) Blount
5) Harris

GMC

Contributor
Reaction score
Number one will never be disputed. But when you're talking top 5, at some point Troy has to enter the conversation. A generational talent that was amongst the most talented and disruptive players to play the game.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Based on a very quick scan of the Pro Football Reference Hall of Fame monitor:

1. Rod Woodson
2. Jack Lambert
3. Jack Ham
4. Joe Green
5. Alan Faneca
6. Dermontti Dawson

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Based on a very quick scan of the Pro Football Reference Hall of Fame monitor:

1. Rod Woodson
2. Jack Lambert
3. Jack Ham
4. Joe Green
5. Alan Faneca
6. Dermontti Dawson
sorry I love Rod Woodon but he is not the best Steeler of all time

and Faneca and Dawson were great also, but Webster is the standard all OL are judged by

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
WTF

JOE GREENE is the undisputed #1 and pretty hard to have any kind of argument against that.

Players after that can vary per argument but Mean Joe is solid tops.

Harris and Bettis might even be interchangeable.

Once Harrison is in he will be up near the top.

myself it is hard to put a list like this together due to how each of these HOF players were very important to the team in their own respect and time. I just put them all on a my most favorite list and leave it at that.

Like the article and everyone's lists.

Salute the nation

fedderone

Contributor
Reaction score
I was merely using the five provided.
In my opinion, as stated above, I also feel Greene is UNQUESTIONABLY number 1.
After that, it gets a bit subjective.
I wouldn’t have Franco in the top 5. And even Blount is questionable, and I could be swayed both ways on him.
But to me, Mean Joe and Count Dracula are musts.
Ham, Woodson, Bettis, Stallworth, Shell, Webster, and Troy P deserve considerable debate.
But if I ruled the world…..

1) Greene
2) Lambert
3) Stallworth
4) Ham
5) Polamalu

I also suspect I’ll have a different list once the Hall stops drinking Retard Bias Juice in the morning and properly puts Hines Ward in.
And as childish/stupid as this sounds, making a list like this, I “take points away” from players that finished their careers elsewhere, or started them elsewhere. If Rod and Jerome were lifers, it’d be more problematic. If Webby was a lifer, he’d be number 2 behind Greene, also unquestionably.
And the fact that I can’t interject LC into this conversation makes me sick to my stomach.

Stewey

Reaction score
Selecting the top 5 from this team cannot be done.
Mathematically impossible. You cant put 7, 8, or 9 into 5 spots!

Last edited:

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
I can only do top 4
1. Mean Joe Greene
2.Jack Lambert
3. Iron Mike Webster
4. Mel Blount
5. About 10 Steelers could go here. Including some who haven't been elected yet. James Harrison and L.C.Greenwood I could easily add to the list with the 10 others, but I'm solid on the top 4.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Number one will never be disputed. But when you're talking top 5, at some point Troy has to enter the conversation. A generational talent that was amongst the most talented and disruptive players to play the game.
Troy and Rod deserve to be in the conversation, though Rod wasn’t a super bowl winner here…

Webster was great for his era, but he wouldn’t translate to 90’s football much less modern football imo… Dawson was a better talent…. Lambert should be rated higher on the original list.. definitely over Franco. I think it’s green and lambert 1/2 then Troy, who was one of the top 3 safeties to ever play the game. Id put Franco next, but then after that it’s questionable….

Blount was great, and sure his tactics changed the rules, but talent wise i would not put him ahead of Woodson, but he has rings with the Steelers and Rod did not win here.

Webster was great for his era, but he didn’t have the frame to play modern football… he was already maxing his body out back then. Dawson changed the dynamics of the center position, but no rings for him here…

Then what about Ben? He is one of the most prolific passers of all time. At the most important position he was an all time great…

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm sure some people will rate the players as per whether or not they have seen them play. I can see some list makers using that to a degree.

Top ______ Lists are definitely subjective to the creator but that is also what makes them argumentatively variable.

Salute the nation

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Troy and Rod deserve to be in the conversation, though Rod wasn’t a super bowl winner here…

Webster was great for his era, but he wouldn’t translate to 90’s football much less modern football imo… Dawson was a better talent…. Lambert should be rated higher on the original list.. definitely over Franco. I think it’s green and lambert 1/2 then Troy, who was one of the top 3 safeties to ever play the game. Id put Franco next, but then after that it’s questionable….

Blount was great, and sure his tactics changed the rules, but talent wise i would not put him ahead of Woodson, but he has rings with the Steelers and Rod did not win here.

Webster was great for his era, but he didn’t have the frame to play modern football… he was already maxing his body out back then. Dawson changed the dynamics of the center position, but no rings for him here…

Then what about Ben? He is one of the most prolific passers of all time. At the most important position he was an all time great…
I'm gonna be honest. I underestimated Lambert. He has massive accolades and numbers.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
And the funny part is I have this if you are good up the middle you are a good football team. In fact it applies to any sport. But look at those teams:
Harris, Bradshaw, Webster, Greene, Lambert, Shell. Unbelievable.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
For those era people. Our guys in the 1970,s did not have the strength,conditioning and nutrition today's athletes do. Supplied with the programs they have now, they all get bigger,stronger and faster. A great athlete is born,not made. Provide the right tools and they'll reach their full potential.

diver

Reaction score
I remember in one of those highlight movies on the 1979 season John Facenda says "Before Franco Harris, the Steelers never made the playoffs. With him they have never missed the playoffs." Or something like that. Now I realize there are a lot of players that made that happen, but it is something to think about. It keeps Franco pretty high on the list to me.

steelhurt

Reaction score
Joe Greene
Terry Bradshaw
Jack Lambert
Mike Webster
Rod Woodson

FatsHolmes

Reaction score
Isn’t their a Ward rule?
The Ward rule was because people were getting injured and defenders were getting their panties in a bunch because only they were allowed to jack people up. The Blount rule was because he was too dominant and nobody could complete passes on him.

The funny thing was, the Blount rule didn't work as intended. Mel was still dominant in pass defense.

fedderone

Contributor
Reaction score
NOT arguing Ben should /should not be in HOF.
He absolutely should and will be.
But gif the purpose of this thread/subject, does Ben and his gaudy stats but only 2 rings deserve to be in this top 5 over Terry and his 4 rings?
That’s tough.