• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Top 5 Steelers Hall of Famers

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
NOT arguing Ben should /should not be in HOF.
He absolutely should and will be.
But gif the purpose of this thread/subject, does Ben and his gaudy stats but only 2 rings deserve to be in this top 5 over Terry and his 4 rings?
That’s tough.

The BEN & Hines argument are for a later date as each is not in the HOF. and valid points fedderone.

There will be some good discussion in both respective's similar to the epic portion of Tomlin being a HOF or a product of a HOF quarterback.......?

Looking forward to those debates as well.

Salute the nation

fedderone

A Legend In My Spare Time
Contributor
Reaction score
The BEN & Hines argument are for a later date as each is not in the HOF. and valid points fedderone.

There will be some good discussion in both respective's similar to the epic portion of Tomlin being a HOF or a product of a HOF quarterback.......?

Looking forward to those debates as well.

Salute the nation
Tomlin is “hard pass” as we like to say round these parts.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
But gif the purpose of this thread/subject, does Ben and his gaudy stats but only 2 rings deserve to be in this top 5 over Terry and his 4 rings?
That’s tough.
Might consider all the other names from the 70s teams when talking about that and consider the talent around the q. Ben had two hof level players at their peak when they won in 05 and none in '09

steelerscotty

Contributor
Reaction score
Mean Joe and Ernie Stautner for sure. Then you have like 10 guys good enough for the other 3. I would go Blount, Bradshaw and Lambert.

fedderone

A Legend In My Spare Time
Contributor
Reaction score
Might consider all the other names from the 70s teams when talking about that and consider the talent around the q. Ben had two hof level players at their peak when they won in 05 and none in '09
EXCELLENT points, Sask2.
Much to chew on.

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
That’s tough.
Super Bowl XLV would have made this a no brainer

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
I don't think I can argue against any of these

I might move Webster and Lambert ahead of Harris thogugh

Harris goes #2.

They immediately started to win upon his arrival. Perhaps a fake punt away from Super Bowl as rookie and a healthy Franco in 1976 is a 3-peat.

To that team in that era, RB was critical and #32 should be retired

steelcan58

Reaction score
1. Greene
2. Blount
2. Lambert
4. Webster
5. Polamalu

I'm of the opinion Mean Joe is definitely #1. The next 3 are undisputed although the order could vary. Troy just deserves to be there. He was a difference maker.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
That’s tough.
Meh rings are only part of the equation when it comes to All time greats… i just don’t think Terry could play the modern high concept offenses, while i think Ben would have been equally great in the 70’s style… 70’s plays were simple in design and purpose. Thats why qbs called their own plays back then … these days the offense is so damn technical I think Bradshaw would have mightily struggled with it… yeah they opened up the passing game over the middle, but that wasn’t really terry’s strongpoint anyhow

FatsHolmes

Reaction score
Meh rings are only part of the equation when it comes to All time greats… i just don’t think Terry could play the modern high concept offenses, while i think Ben would have been equally great in the 70’s style… 70’s plays were simple in design and purpose. Thats why qbs called their own plays back then … these days the offense is so damn technical I think Bradshaw would have mightily struggled with it… yeah they opened up the passing game over the middle, but that wasn’t really terry’s strongpoint anyhow
Not only the offensive plays were simpler, but the defense faced was simple. Bradshaw had to face a total of one defense where they situationally substituted players (the Cowboys "flex" defense), and that was nothing like what is done now. All of the others were basically facing the same 11 the whole game unless someone got hurt. There is no way Bradshaw could have called his own plays nowadays, although I think he would have been capable of playing today's game at an effective level.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
I think Dermonti Dawson deserves mention here. Never got a ring. But.
My point is until the end he was on some good teams that never made it. And some bad ones. He was still elected to HOF, without many other stars in his corner.
Dawson is the most criminally underrated post 70’s HOF player… he was 6’2 but really broad shouldered. he had a massive frame but was athletic as ****… he played at 288. His athletic ability and quickness at that size was really the driving force behind the size escalation at that position.
Before him, guys his size were banished to guard. He and Stephenson really changed the Center position forever.

Webster was all strength and

Wolf44

Reaction score
Yeah today's NFL is so hard bums like Cousins and Mayfield put up numbers that compare favorably to QBs already in the HOF.. The game is so tough mentally rookie QBs come in and flourish. Bradshaw would be dominant in today's watered down game where even journeymen put up gaudy numbers without winning.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Yeah today's NFL is so hard bums like Cousins and Mayfield put up numbers that compare favorably to QBs already in the HOF.. The game is so tough mentally rookie QBs come in and flourish. Bradshaw would be dominant in today's watered down game where even journeymen put up gaudy numbers without winning.
If Bradshaw was trained from a kid and he had the mental acumen yes. No way ypu could just throw him in.

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
1. Mean Joe Greene
2. Mike Webster
3. Mel Blount
4. Troy Polamalu
5. Jack Lambert

Damn, that was the hardest decision I think I'll make all week. We should do a non-70's early 80's edition. Dirt Dawson, Rod Woodson, Alan Faneca, and Hines Ward was hard to not add to this list. I mean, Hines's style of play would have fit in with the 70's...not many WR's can say that.

SteelerFanRC

Reaction score
1--Joe Greene- unquestionable number 1, he started the transformation of the franchise.
2--Franco Harris- last link turning a losing team into a winner.
3--Mel Blount- his play resulted in a rules change- nuff said.
4--Jack Lambert- that toothless snarl was the "face" of the defense of the 70's.
5--Terry Bradshaw- 4 Super Bowl titles. and as he likes to remind you, he called his own plays!

Training camp can't get here soon enough!:confused:

Last edited:

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Mine:

5. Dirt Dawson - The most athletic dominating center the Steelers have ever had, and they've had great ones.
4. Polamalu - The hair, the athleticism, no player on D was more feared pre snap, than Troy
3. Jack Ham - Might be the best pure tackler to ever live
2. Rod Woodson - no one in our secondary was as athletic or diverse a talent as Hot Rod.
1. Joe Greene - Keystone of the Steel Curtain

Fight me...

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Mine:

5. Dirt Dawson - The most athletic dominating center the Steelers have ever had, and they've had great ones.
4. Polamalu - The hair, the athleticism, no player on D was more feared pre snap, than Troy
3. Jack Ham - Might be the best pure tackler to ever live
2. Rod Woodson - no one in our secondary was as athletic or diverse a talent as Hot Rod.
1. Joe Greene - Keystone of the Steel Curtain

Fight me...
sorry we don't fight chicks here