• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

trading down

steelerscotty

Contributor
Reaction score
Here is a points chart for trades for the draft: http://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

Here is a scenario: Paxton Lunch and/or Connor Cook are still on the board when we pick with #25. The phone rings, its the donkeys, they want a QB! Steelers rd1(25) it worth 720 points. Denver offers rd1(31) 600 points, and rd3(94) 124 points. WJ3, Billings and Spence are already gone . . .do you take the trade? Do you try to make them throw in another pick as well?

Discuss.

lefty

Reaction score
That seems to be the sweet spot in this years draft. They would have to pony up a bit more as there will be multiple teams looking to trade up possibly to nab a dropping QB.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd make the trade.

Troglodyte

Reaction score
I'm partial to trading down and some analyst say there isn't much difference between picks 20 - 100 in this years draft.

21STEELERS21

21 is my IQ
Reaction score
I'd want their #2 rather than #3 pick or the equivalent of a low #2 pick and another #2 or early #3 from someone else.

I think there is a lot of value in having 3 picks in first 65-70 picks, rather than 2 in first 56 picks.

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
They are not trading down, they know who they want. The pick will come out of left field and have a 30-40% chance of success.

Now, if someone they really want slides to 20, I can see a chance of a trade UP.

Remember, they sat pat and waited for Big Ben. Since it worked once, it will work every time.

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
If they feel they can get Joseph by moving back I think they do it.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Bend them over for their second (64th overall) if they have one. If the Browns and the Titans were able to get all of what they got for teams to move up for unproven talent why can't the Steelers. I'm aware there is a value chart and that is all good and fine. But the reality is how bad do you want your player? And the reality is if the answer is real bad, then you can throw your chart out of the window. Then I package my two second rounds if there is a guy around 2.10 that I really want. Them coveting their choice of Cook or Lynch is no different then the Rams coveting their choice of Goff or Wentz.
And the Broncos probably don't have to worry about the people behind the Steeelrs taking their man. What they do have to be concerned about is one of the teams like San Francisco or the Browns who probably aren't taking a first round QB, but have plenty of ammo to jump back into the first round with an aggressive trade partner like Seattle. There is ample opportunity for a trade here with Denver, but if it is risking the guy I really want, I certainly don't do that for a third.

Last edited by a moderator:

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Here is a points chart for trades for the draft: http://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

Here is a scenario: Paxton Lunch and/or Connor Cook are still on the board when we pick with #25. The phone rings, its the donkeys, they want a QB! Steelers rd1(25) it worth 720 points. Denver offers rd1(31) 600 points, and rd3(94) 124 points. WJ3, Billings and Spence are already gone . . .do you take the trade? Do you try to make them throw in another pick as well?

Discuss.

Good scenario. Denver is desperate for a quarterback, so this is plausible. I'd take the trade as we pick up an extra 3rd.

WJ3, Billings, and Spence are already gone? Okay are Lawson, Alexandar still on the board?

DT Butler might be. I'd take the deal, but try to milk Denver for their 3rd and 5th!

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, this draft is pretty funny with how it shakes out. You can go down the line...

WJIII would be great in the 1st, but I'd be happy with Apple/Burns/Alexander/Fuller in the 2nd/3rd
Billings would be awesome in the 1st, but would be fine with Butler/Johnson in the 2nd/3rd
Karl Joseph in the 1st, or Simmons/Thompson/Bell in the 2nd/3rd
and so on...

Unless the Steelers have completely fallen in love with a player, it almost makes too much sense to move down a little and possibly get a 2-for-1 deal early in the draft.

Maybe the only position that isn't that deep this year are the edge rushers. Who knows how pressing the Steelers feel that need.

fedderone

A Legend In My Spare Time
Contributor
Reaction score
They are not trading down, they know who they want. The pick will come out of left field and have a 30-40% chance of success.

Now, if someone they really want slides to 20, I can see a chance of a trade UP.

Remember, they sat pat and waited for Big Ben. Since it worked once, it will work every time.

^^^^^^
This!
Since the Colbert era started, the Steelers have only traded back once in the first round..........ONCE.
And that was the year we only slid back three picks and nabbed Big Snack Casey Hampton.

Also in the Colbert era, we've only traded up twice in the first round.......TWICE.
Once for Troy P and once for SanQuentin Holmes.

Odds say we stand pat and pick up a DeCastro ( 24 ), Heyward ( 31 ), Miller ( 30 ), Faneca ( 26 ).....Jury still out on Bud Dupree ( 22 ).
We do have a pretty good track record later in the draft.
Yes, I know I know, we've picked us some Ziggy Hood ( 32 ) and SpinThenFall ( 23 ) too.

The great thing about our front office, love 'em or hate 'em, is that they're patient and prepared.
They do not make knee jerk reactions, they do not get caught up in hype, they do not panic and start following the runs on players.
We might not immediately love the pick, but more than likely, we'll all be gushing about his awesomeness in 3 years.

FordFairLane

Reaction score

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd try for the 1st & 2nd round picks, provided our target was gone or look to be there at 1.32

Salute the nation

FordFairLane

Reaction score
^^^^^^
This!
Since the Colbert era started, the Steelers have only traded back once in the first round..........ONCE.
And that was the year we only slid back three picks and nabbed Big Snack Casey Hampton.

Also in the Colbert era, we've only traded up twice in the first round.......TWICE.
Once for Troy P and once for SanQuentin Holmes.

Odds say we stand pat and pick up a DeCastro ( 24 ), Heyward ( 31 ), Miller ( 30 ), Faneca ( 26 ).....Jury still out on Bud Dupree ( 22 ).
We do have a pretty good track record later in the draft.
Yes, I know I know, we've picked us some Ziggy Hood ( 32 ) and SpinThenFall ( 23 ) too.

The great thing about our front office, love 'em or hate 'em, is that they're patient and prepared.
They do not make knee jerk reactions, they do not get caught up in hype, they do not panic and start following the runs on players.
We might not immediately love the pick, but more than likely, we'll all be gushing about his awesomeness in 3 years.

I don't know about that. They jumped on Mendenhall and Jarvis Jones because they fell in the draft and now we all know there's a reason why they fell. I much prefer them to not jump on a guy the falls down the board just because and pick a guy they feel fits the system and is a sure fire starter. Yes, DeCastro fell also and he worked out I am just playing a little devils advocate here.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Yeah, this draft is pretty funny with how it shakes out. You can go down the line...

WJIII would be great in the 1st, but I'd be happy with Apple/Burns/Alexander/Fuller in the 2nd/3rd
Billings would be awesome in the 1st, but would be fine with Butler/Johnson in the 2nd/3rd
Karl Joseph in the 1st, or Simmons/Thompson/Bell in the 2nd/3rd
and so on...

Unless the Steelers have completely fallen in love with a player, it almost makes too much sense to move down a little and possibly get a 2-for-1 deal early in the draft.

Maybe the only position that isn't that deep this year are the edge rushers. Who knows how pressing the Steelers feel that need.
But aren't most of the guys you would be happy with in the second or third, first round grade guys some of whom might get picked before 1.25 much less 2.25 or 3.25

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
But aren't most of the guys you would be happy with in the second or third, first round grade guys some of whom might get picked before 1.25 much less 2.25 or 3.25
Some of the guys, not most of the guys. Well, maybe half of the guys. I think Burns, Fuller, Butler, Johnson, Simmons, Thompson should make it into the 2nd, a few maybe into the third. But I get your point. I basically want seven of our picks to be first two rounds, lol.

At the end of the day if there's a guy at 25 sitting there the Steelers feel good about, just draft him and don't look back. That's what they tend to do anyway.

The thing we should be collectively holding our breath about is the Steelers grabbing someone that's been ranked much lower, and maybe hasn't even been in the conversation for their first pick. Nothing would surprise me.

Last edited:

Troglodyte

Reaction score
I don't know about that. They jumped on Mendenhall and Jarvis Jones because they fell in the draft and now we all know there's a reason why they fell.

Neither player was a complete bust. Mendenhall did have one very good year but his heart want really into being a football and while Jones has been a disappointment thus far, he could possibly not have peaked yet.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Neither player was a complete bust. Mendenhall did have one very good year but his heart want really into being a football and while Jones has been a disappointment thus far, he could possibly not have peaked yet.

Maybe not a complete bust but definitely not a hit either.

bmoritz

Reaction score
I agree with Tibs, throw in a 5th as well, or add a 3rd next year.

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
Ike Taylor just mocked us Billings on NFL Network, with WWIII & Apple still on the board. Hmmmm

swal75

Reaction score
Due to the way that contracts work, I can't see us trading out of the first round. Getting that 5th year is really big

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Ike Taylor just mocked us Billings on NFL Network, with WWIII & Apple still on the board. Hmmmm
I'm real good with Billings. I think a premium pass rush is as useful as a strong DB corps. I don't think Ike really knows anymore about the Steelers pick than any other "journalist".