• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Trubisky vs Rudolph vs Pickett vs Oladokun.....

Chicoman

Reaction score
Post your thoughts on the QB Battle....I know it's early but I'm all in on Kenny Pickett. This kid is 24 years old and his time in now! Give him the keys to the offense, plug him and let him go! He needs to be our starting QB. I'm not a fan on Trubisky and IMO Rudolph just isn't starting material at the NFL level. Pickett has all the intangibles that you look for in a QB. His strengths include his ability to read defenses pre-snap, go through his progressions quickly and his accuracy throwing the football is some of the best I've seen from a kid coming to the NFL. Also I'll say this now he has much better velocity on his throws than Trubisky or Rudolph.

I can't wait to see what Pickett does in camp and in the pre-season.....

Toss in your 2 cents below!

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
Its Trubisky and then Pickett v Rudolph. Will they carry Rudolph knowing they drafted Pickett in R1? We all know the answer is no. I think you keep Rudolph around for camp in case of an injury to Trubisky or Pickett and if there is a trade market you get a draft pick for him. Oladokun is a camp body and destined for the practice squad.

Troglodyte

Reaction score
I think it’s Trubisky’s job to lose. If Pickett is able to land the starting job, I think it’ll mean he played lights-out and beyond expectation in preseason.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
I get the feeling they’ll all be okay with whoever is the starter and just want to win games.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
The Steelers didn't build this team for a rookie QB to start. The OL still isn't very good so I let Trubisky take his lumps with this OL and Matt Canada's subpar offense. Hopefully they'll get some high pedigree players for the OL next year and bring in a better OC.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I get the feeling they’ll all be okay with whoever is the starter and just want to win games.
I am not quite there yet. Mitch is every bit of a mystery. I see him starting but wouldn't be shocked to see a short leash applied....

Last edited:

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
The Steelers didn't build this team for a rookie QB to start. The OL still isn't very good so I let Trubisky take his lumps with this OL and Matt Canada's subpar offense. Hopefully they'll get some high pedigree players for the OL next year and bring in a better OC.
yeah maybe next year.....

Wolf44

Reaction score
The sheer stupidity of giving Rudolph a lot of reps is just dumbfounding. He will never be the starter and he takes valuable reps from Pickett and the 7th rounder.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
The sheer stupidity of giving Rudolph a lot of reps is just dumbfounding. He will never be the starter and he takes valuable reps from Pickett and the 7th rounder.
If he plays a lot in preseason it's because he's being showcased for other teams.

Wolf44

Reaction score
There is nothing Rudolph can doin preseason to up his stock for a trade. Mr. Check down is what he is and it is a waste of valuable reps for the new QBs to sit while he plays or practices.h

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I am not quite there yet. Mitch is every bit of a mystery. I see him starting but wouldn't be shocked to see a short leach applied....

Does a short "leach" suck more than a long "leach"........................ just curious

I hear yaz

Salute the nation

stuntmanmike

Contributor
Reaction score
I think if its close I say go with Kenny... this is Kenny's team lets get it on!!! I doubt if Canada's offense is worth a ****, but if it is, lets play Kenny and find out where this is going. there has been some good articles out as of late about just how bad last years offense and Canada's playing calling was with klemm quitting over Canada's play calling. its been real easy blaming ben so lets find out! you know, we can live with coach Tomlin he's a real decent guy, all he has to do is hire some decent coaches... but he doesn't seem to be able to handle that! lets hope Canada has got his **** together because there is some good talent on the offense.

Ghost of Frenchy Fuqua

Reaction score
I think if its close I say go with Kenny... this is Kenny's team lets get it on!!! I doubt if Canada's offense is worth a ****, but if it is, lets play Kenny and find out where this is going. there has been some good articles out as of late about just how bad last years offense and Canada's playing calling was with klemm quitting over Canada's play calling. its been real easy blaming ben so lets find out! you know, we can live with coach Tomlin he's a real decent guy, all he has to do is hire some decent coaches... but he doesn't seem to be able to handle that! lets hope Canada has got his **** together because there is some good talent on the offense.
Wexell pointed out that, in 16 years, Tomlin has never had a coach go on to an appreciably better job. I was pretty stunned to hear that.

BTW: Here's the link for Wexell's appearance on Savran on Sports on Wednesday.

Just run the silder to the 11 minute mark.

As usual, Wexell had some interesting things to say, including it's only a matter of time until Trubisky gets booed. "It's inevitable, " he said, "Every quarterback in this town has been booed except Ben."

I hadn't thought of it. But he's right.

Last edited:

Steeler

Contributor
Reaction score
Wexell pointed out that, in 16 years, Tomlin has never had a coach go on to an appreciably better job. I was pretty stunned to hear that.

Yeah, because he ain't gonna hire somebody that might take his job. He's gonna hire ****, with the exception of Munch.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
NFL Net reported that Tomlin said the Steelers will not scrimmage any other teams which means all they have are 3 preseason games to get competitive reps for QBs.

Ben barely played in preseason so there were plenty of reps for backups, but not this year. Steelers don't have that luxury. They need to make this a 2 QB race almost immediately to give them most reps, then they need to pick a starter by the 2nd preseason game at the latest so that guy can then get major reps.

I generally think it's good to give rookie QBs a redshirt but if you are going to start a rookie, there are a few absolute musts

1. You must be able to protect him. A QB only learns bad habits if he's running for his life. Tons of QBs were ruined by this
2. He must have a decent grasp of the playbook. Not all of it but enough to be effective
3. In practice, he has to at least be close to as good or better than the other QB option. If they other guy is much better, you can lose the locker room because you are telling the team you are throwing the season away to train your QB.
4. If he's struggling, you have to pull him. Again, he won't learn if he's frustrated and feeling pressure to perform. Don't be afraid to sit him and let him watch and then play him again in a few weeks if he has good practices.

Ben checked all of those boxes. The OL was very good. The playbook was simple because it was run first and play action. And Ben flashed huge talent from day 1, then when Maddox got hurt, there was no reason not to play Ben. Despite that, Faneca was still a bit salty about a rookie starting at QB. Ben was good immediately removed all questions of who should start.

The steelers OL could still be rough, especially to start the season. If the OL looks spotty in preseason then you have to start Trubisky.

If the OL can actually protect then it's game on.

I didn't like the Pickett selection. But the choice is made and if Pickett performs close to Trubisky, and the OL is OK, then I think you start Pickett.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
NFL Net reported that Tomlin said the Steelers will not scrimmage any other teams which means all they have are 3 preseason games to get competitive reps for QBs.

Ben barely played in preseason so there were plenty of reps for backups, but not this year. Steelers don't have that luxury. They need to make this a 2 QB race almost immediately to give them most reps, then they need to pick a starter by the 2nd preseason game at the latest so that guy can then get major reps.

I generally think it's good to give rookie QBs a redshirt but if you are going to start a rookie, there are a few absolute musts

1. You must be able to protect him. A QB only learns bad habits if he's running for his life. Tons of QBs were ruined by this
2. He must have a decent grasp of the playbook. Not all of it but enough to be effective
3. In practice, he has to at least be close to as good or better than the other QB option. If they other guy is much better, you can lose the locker room because you are telling the team you are throwing the season away to train your QB.
4. If he's struggling, you have to pull him. Again, he won't learn if he's frustrated and feeling pressure to perform. Don't be afraid to sit him and let him watch and then play him again in a few weeks if he has good practices.

Ben checked all of those boxes. The OL was very good. The playbook was simple because it was run first and play action. And Ben flashed huge talent from day 1, then when Maddox got hurt, there was no reason not to play Ben. Despite that, Faneca was still a bit salty about a rookie starting at QB. Ben was good immediately removed all questions of who should start.

The steelers OL could still be rough, especially to start the season. If the OL looks spotty in preseason then you have to start Trubisky.

If the OL can actually protect then it's game on.

I didn't like the Pickett selection. But the choice is made and if Pickett performs close to Trubisky, and the OL is OK, then I think you start Pickett.

Great post Tape, thanks.

I too didn't want a QB but here we are so I fully support the 1st rnd pick now.

Don't quite get the "NO SCRIMMAGE" thingy this year. Did Tonlin give a reason as to why or his line of thinking ?

BEN was a better talent coming into the league than any QB on our roster so I hope no one expects anything similar to Ben's start. If for some reason we get a spectacular start by a rookie I'll eat crow but also be happy to.

My biggest concern is the O'Canada experiment and this is year 2 as OC, did he work hard durring the off-season and will he take that HUGE step up that is needed.

Salute the nation

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I'm on the same page with you, Tape. One of Pickett's biggest weaknesses is he scrambles himself into pressure and that makes the OL play even more important. Just way too many question marks at this point.

LT-Moore has potential, but he got beat a lot for sacks and pressures last year.
LG-Dotson is a reminder that young players don't always get better. He regressed last year and is competing with Green, who got manhandled by powerful DL.
C-Cole is supposedly a pretty good run blocker, weaker in pass protection.
RG-Daniels is suppose to be good.
RT-Okorafor is what he is and that's a bottom third tackle.

Not exactly an ideal group for a rookie (or any) QB.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm on the same page with you, Tape. One of Pickett's biggest weaknesses is he scrambles himself into pressure and that makes the OL play even more important. Just way too many question marks at this point.

LT-Moore has potential, but he got beat a lot for sacks and pressures last year.
LG-Dotson is a reminder that young players don't always get better. He regressed last year and is competing with Green, who got manhandled by powerful DL.
C-Cole is supposedly a pretty good run blocker, weaker in pass protection.
RG-Daniels is suppose to be good.
RT-Okorafor is what he is and that's a bottom third tackle.

Not exactly an ideal group for a rookie (or any) QB.

No one seemed to think is was a problem trotting out that even crappier line last year for BEN and thinking it was his "stiff" movement that was the problem.

I hope like hell that interior is much better and Najee can do his majic to take pressure off our young QBs.

We have some talent on offense, I just hope they step up including the O'Canada experiment.

Salute the nation

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
IMO, you have to go with Trubisky as QB1
Pickett is secretly QB2 while Mason is QB2 on the official depth chart

everyone in the locker room knows this.

Trubisky is paid too much to be anything other than QB1. Barring injury or ****** play, he's got that role. Depending on his play, it could either be as a position holder until Pickett is ready or he'll get a bigger contract next season.

Pickett may not start unless Trubisky is injured or plays like ****. Even then, I'd expect the coaching staff to make excuses for Trubisky to continue to start until Pickett is forced in.

Mason may have played his last regular-season game in a Steelers uniform. I can't imagine us keeping him active unless there's an injury to either Trubisky or Pickett. I'd also expect he has his agent working trades.

Oklahomeydun needs to be considering playing special teams or finding another way to contribute.

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
rg, c IS Fixed, you have a big competition at LG between Dotson and Green, Moore is a agile LT with up side, Chukes got paid but is a average RT, just the market value for a average young OT who has starting experience and can likely start both sides is now 10 mill+ I see Chukes a as a 6 mill type OT, always viewed him better for the left side great height arm length lacks the girth I feel from his frame to a force in the run game.