• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Trubisky vs Rudolph vs Pickett vs Oladokun.....

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
IMO, you have to go with Trubisky as QB1
Pickett is secretly QB2 while Mason is QB2 on the official depth chart

everyone in the locker room knows this.
This----^

Mason may have played his last regular-season game in a Steelers uniform. I can't imagine us keeping him active unless there's an injury to either Trubisky or Pickett. I'd also expect he has his agent working trades.
Someone else's starter or #2 goes down in preseason, the Steelers will be getting a call.

Wolf44

Reaction score
I would rather see what a kid with great athletic ability can do rather than watch Mr. Checkdown crap the bed another year. You know since we wasted a draft pick on the guy.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
This----^

Someone else's starter or #2 goes down in preseason, the Steelers will be getting a call.

Agree Burgundy so his "show" in pre-season will add to his value. I read he did real well first day training camp so that is a positive light.

I'd think 1/2 way through training camp I'd start the trade process to see who ight be interested and then go from there.

Salute the nation

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Right now (I know it's early) but from the write-ups, it looks like Pickett is struggling and throwing a bunch of picks to 2nd, 3rd, and/or 4th string type guys. He needs to clean that up quickly. But, even saying that he still should have this entire year to sit behind Trubisky.

DBS1970

I hate you all and I blame Ark for that.
Contributor
Reaction score
Trubisky is aslightly ahead of mid pack guy. Rudolph is a guy that hasn’t blossomed and picked up the game yet. Picket is an unknown just like all rookies and I never heard of the last guy. I do know without a HOF QB we are going to see all of Tomlins weaknesses exposed and probably be an also ran team for the next 5-10 years.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Trubisky is aslightly ahead of mid pack guy. Rudolph is a guy that hasn’t blossomed and picked up the game yet. Picket is an unknown just like all rookies and I never heard of the last guy. I do know without a HOF QB we are going to see all of Tomlins weaknesses exposed and probably be an also ran team for the next 5-10 years.

We haven't been much more than that the last 5 years or so. By the time we got a defense that was worth a **** our offense seemed to fade (2-consecutive OCs that didn't seem to know how to use a HOF QB very well square peg round hole syndrone).

Salute the nation

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Barring injury to anyone, I think Pickett starts before the season is over. Around week 10. The HC does not live in his fears. Well, until he does.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Great post Tape, thanks.

I too didn't want a QB but here we are so I fully support the 1st rnd pick now.

Don't quite get the "NO SCRIMMAGE" thingy this year. Did Tonlin give a reason as to why or his line of thinking ?

BEN was a better talent coming into the league than any QB on our roster so I hope no one expects anything similar to Ben's start. If for some reason we get a spectacular start by a rookie I'll eat crow but also be happy to.

My biggest concern is the O'Canada experiment and this is year 2 as OC, did he work hard durring the off-season and will he take that HUGE step up that is needed.

Salute the nation
The Steelers always plan to redshirt rookie qbs… i don’t know why anyone thinks this year will be different..
If Pickett plays well enough to be the 2, then they probably cut or trade one of the two vets… whichever doesn’t win starter, if not he stays on as a third qb on the roster.. if Oladakun plays well enough to make the roster, he will at best be the 3. Most likely he is going to the practice squad no matter what as security…

steelhurt

Reaction score
I don’t know about the rest of y’all but this QB competition and knowing Tomlin is managing it really concerns me. He’s never ever had this position to deal with except 2019 when Ben was injured and he had a career backup in Rudolph and a practice squad player in Hodges. And his leash on Rudolph was extremely short as witnessed by the quick hook in Cincy. I worry that he could really **** up Pickett’s confidence if he puts him in too soon and then yanks him.
I just think this guy has been a mediocre coach therefore mediocre results the last eleven seasons. The way he’s handled some of these players in the past does not inspire confidence in how he would handle the QB situation.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Right now (I know it's early) but from the write-ups, it looks like Pickett is struggling and throwing a bunch of picks to 2nd, 3rd, and/or 4th string type guys. He needs to clean that up quickly. But, even saying that he still should have this entire year to sit behind Trubisky.
First year QBs should almost never start… look at how peyton manning did and that dude’s cranium made up 25% of his body mass lol… I just don’t think you totally bury him at 3 QB… Rookie backups are fine unless you really think they are a super bowl favorite…

madinsomniac

Reaction score

So there is some dispute about Pickett first pass in 7 shot… it was either a td or the wr dropped it.. depending on the coverage it was stated either way

Everyone has been saying Mitch has sucked the past two days and it’s looking like Mason is the frontrunner, but drills and game-time are two different things, lets hold the judgment until we see them in real action

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
If that OL isn't at least middle of the pack good at run blocking, not much is going to matter who the qb is. Even more so if they trot out the same ****** short passing offense as last year.

The same goes for the DL which was the worst against the run last year as I've ever seen in my life.

If the lines are subpar, it will be a very long painful season.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
If that OL isn't at least middle of the pack good at run blocking, not much is going to matter who the qb is. Even more so if they trot out the same ****** short passing offense as last year.

The same goes for the DL which was the worst against the run last year as I've ever seen in my life.

If the lines are subpar, it will be a very long painful season.
There is a lot to hope for in the line… new center and the RG is a definite upgrade. Green is potentially an upgrade at guard, where he should have been last year… moore has a year of experience and there is a new oline coach….

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
Go look at bens passes in that playoff game vs the browns before ya start with a pass to ballage, who rarely saw the field.

Chicoman

Reaction score
Through 6 practices Turbisky has tossed 7 INT's, Pickett 2 INT's, Rudolph 1 INT.

I know it's early but JFC.....Mitch can't be our starter if that continues in a real game situation.

skline00

Reaction score
Chicoman, have all three QBs been getting the same amount of playing time? I'm assuming Turbisky is going against the first string Defense but what about Pickett and/or Rudolph?

pittbull

Contributor
Reaction score
It’s been many years since I’ve been stuck to a screen throughout the day looking for any new morsel of information coming out of camp. It’s an exciting time to be a Steelers fan. I just hope offseason excitement translates.

As interesting as I find the QB battle, the periodic updates are driving me crazy…. The most recent echo coming out of camp is Pickett is the second coming out of Tom Brady running the 2nd team, Rudolph is the most accurate passer to even don a Steelers uniform, and Trubisky can’t hit the side of a barn and hasn’t thrown a touchdown pass since high school. The fact that he’s going against one of the NFLs best defense while the top 3 offensive skill players are out is irrelevant...but boy, it sure would be nice to read about him have at least a little success.

I agree with most here the Mason is trade bait. Glad to see him getting some highlights out on the internet to hopefully pad his value.

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
like pitbull said, what is coming out is Mitch is having a horrible camp. If that true through the rest of camp and pre-season games, may have to hold onto Mason. From what they are saying, Pickett is still too green. He needs to sit. I hope we don't lose games 10-6 because we can't score with a capable QB.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
It's too early to label anyone. They just put on pads. The QB's are going through a predetermined rotation between the 1's, 2's, and 3's. Nobody jumped anybody in the QB rotation. Tomlin's comment after the 2nd practice in pads was perfect about it. While things did start getting more interesting this week with them now wearing pads, nothing will be determined until they start playing preseason games.

Smash

Contributor
Reaction score
New season, new system, and TJ Watt teeing off on your ***. Bound to be a tough learning curve but good thing is, we have 2 vets and a 1st round pick battling for the 1. I'm more concerned with what the OC is gonna put on the field.

Turd Ferguson

Reaction score
I don't care how great Pickett plays in pre-season. I want to see how the OL plays against regular season #1 defenses before I throw him in the fire.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I don't care how great Pickett plays in pre-season. I want to see how the OL plays against regular season #1 defenses before I throw him in the fire.
The OL is still a major concern entering this season and is the main reason why I want Pickett to wait to start. We need some blue chip performers in this group or they'll ruin the first-round investment before he even has a chance to show what he can do.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I still don't think there was enough investment into the offensive line. YES it does look to be better than last year's crap show but how much and still a low cost unit both in draft and $$$coin$$$.

If we used Coach's draft cinema we could still get Creed Humphry to come in.................... BIG improveent there............

Salute the nation

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
If Mason is able to beat out Mitch that is a bad scenario for us. If Mitch can not beat out Mason then Pickett should be starting much sooner than later. I dont see the point of keeping both Mitch and Mason. Pickett has to be at least QB2 to get reps. Mitch had a few weeks where he was the best QB in the league, he is just not consistent at all. I dont think we will ever see a 350+ yrd 6 TD game w/ Mason. With Mason you just hope he can hold his own and not screw up bad enough to lose.